How many have complications after surgery?

MMoorehouse
on 12/31/14 2:03 pm

My RNY is scheduled for Jan. 19. I have been browsing various forums and am getting a little nervous. It seems to be that there are a lot of people who end up with a lot of long-term pain even a few years after surgery, also seems to be a lot of bowel obstructions, ulcers and blind loops. I know that can also be a little one-sided because often people who do not have any problems also tend to not post things as much. So, how many of you have had some kind of complication and what was it? How long after surgery (immediately, weeks, years)? I'm just getting a little more concerned as it draws closer to time.

MMoorehouse
on 12/31/14 2:08 pm

This was a thread that I ran across and frankly it scared me. I know it started out as an old one but there were some later posts, too. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Weight-Loss-Alternatives/stomach-pains-after-gastric-bypass/show/602284

Heidi L.
on 12/31/14 3:45 pm - San Jose, CA
I had no immediate complications. Everything went smoothly, surgery, recovery and eating.

Soon after my 3rd year mark I did end up having to go in for emergency surgery. I developed a bowel obstruction in part of the "y". My Mom attributes it to my sunflower seed addiction post-op. Dunno. I had also been having a lot of pain because of the built up scar tissue around tube sites and having had parts of my remnant stomach attached to my abdominal wall. There were several other things they had to work on that were not wls related as well.

As far as gastritis, I have had a lot less after the RNY then before. Really, there are very few things to be worried about as long as you are confident in your surgeon's abilities. Things do happen on occasion so keep an eye out for signs and symptoms.

All-in-all the improvement to my mental health, physical health and overall well being out weighed any "complications" that have come up.

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!!! Remember to take lots of pictures of your journey. Follow your surgeons instructions to a "T." Voice any concerns or worries you have to your surgeon at your pre-op.

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

selhard
on 12/31/14 4:01 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Complications are a real concern.  I have noticed, though, many say despite the complications, they have little to no regret and would do it all over again.    

Kristine419
on 12/31/14 7:11 pm

I'm nearly 6 months out and have zero complications. When I was in your position, I thought about the complications of my obesity. What were the risks of my diabetes? My sleep apnea? My high cholesterol? It put things into perspective for me. Everything has inherent risks.

Don't be nervous! You won't regret having this surgery.

Starting Weight 229 (2/2012); Surgery Weight 208 (7/2013); Current Weight 137 (4/28/15); Goal Weight 130

lynnc99
on 12/31/14 7:22 pm

After 5 1/2 years I have had no complications. 

I do do have to be careful with carbs and sugar or I will still dump occasionally. I've had a couple of serious incidents - maybe once a year.

Aming those I know personally (and because I have been active with support groups, I keep up with about 100 post ops), the most "common" complication I have seen is, to be honest, alcoholism. I dont drink at all, so not a personal concern, but I do have deep concern about those WLS friends who have started more "serious"  "social" drinking.

I do have one friend who developed an obstruction after 7 years. Her issue was that she did not have a copy other surgical records for her current physician....lesson learned! I am requesting a copy of my records next week, especially since I have moved to another state.m

karenp8
on 12/31/14 10:15 pm - Brighton, IL

Talk to your surgeon about your concerns. He should be able to tell you what complications he has seen and specific numbers. I am 28 months post op and have had zero complications. I do dump but have only had one episode when I felt miserable for about thirty minutes. As long as I am diligent about reading labels I am fine. I have lost 145 pounds and kept it off for 20 months. I am no longer suffering the effects of diabetes,high blood pressure,high cholesterol or high triglycerides. I have gone from sedentary and miserable to active and healthy and I had been obese my whole life. Life is now better than I could ever imagine!

MMoorehouse
on 12/31/14 11:31 pm

Thank you all for the replies. That does let me know if I follow all my guidelines I should be, for the most part, ok but that I will need to be attuned to my body and seek help from my doctor if needed. But it does sound like it is fairly obvious when something goes wrong so I would have warning signs. I had 5 abdominal surgeries for severe endometriosis, fibroids, etc. and then finally the hysterectomy, that was about 12 years ago. The gynecologist who did my final surgery said it had looked like a bomb went off inside and he was amazed that I was able to walk or move. I know I probably have a lot of scar tissue and the doctor who did my colonoscopy as part of my prep for my upcoming surgery asked me in the recovery room if I had several abdominal surgeries because the colonscopy was hard to do and figured I must have a lot of scar tissue. I've gotten all my records from the gynecologist and given them to my bariatric surgeon so I have a lot of questions for him about that. My meeting with him is Tuesday. With the endometriosis my insides and organs used to all stick together. But I am hopeful that since all that is gone it won't be an issue any more, although the scar tissue does worry me. Dr. Baker has many years experience so he should be able to alleviate my concerns then :) Just being nervous I guess and making sure I am doing the right thing. I am so tired and miserable of being overweight. I am considered pre-diabetic and have high blood pressure and sleep apnea. My family has a major history of diabetes and heart disease so I know I have to do something. I've always had to watch my weight but all my old diet programs just don't work anymore for me after I hit about age 43 (I am now 50). Again, thanks for all the replies, they have been helpful!

Karen518
on 1/1/15 12:40 am

I'm three years out.  No complications.  Recovery was unremarkable.  Lost 100% of my excess weight within 18 months and am maintaining.  Labs are great.  I stick to my plan and take all my vitamins.  Things can happen, but few of them are worse than life with morbid obesity.  Good luck to you on your journey.

Eggface
on 1/1/15 8:53 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Absolutely normal to fear complications... but like you said... posting "Day 3000: Happy as a clam posts" aren't typically what you you will see on forums. I could post those most days :)

The statistics are very low and in line with other surgeries (c-sections, appendix removal, gallbladder) for the immediate 30 day stuff. Your medical team will be running a bunch of tests that should reduce risks. Keep an open dialog with them about your anxieties. I am assuming you are having some health issues now do to obesity. Those are scary and potential could kill too. In fact, obesity is a leading cause of preventable death. 

I had no complications from the surgery. I didn't drink as much water as I needed too and got a kidney stone attack at 3 weeks. I was a pre-op sufferer and dehydration is one of the biggest reasons for readmittance (so sip sip sip) had the typical treatment I received pre-op. It passed. I lived and learned and drank more. 

At 7 years post-op I started to feel tired more... I hadn't had my labs done that year and when I finally did in January 2014 I had very low iron and ferritin (I faithfully take vitamins and eat very iron rich foods) a series of 30 minute injectafer infusions (bag of iron IV) 4 total and I was back up to snuff. Hemo Dr says it happens despite best efforts for some (especially menstruating age woman.) All other labs are stellar so hopefully they will continue to be. I have been rechecked once and so far so good. Vitamins for life and lab work once a year are not an option but despite taking them you can still have issues.

No regrets. Would do it again in a nano-second. Hope you will feel the same. Best wishes!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views