Distal vs Proximal

Natasha O.
on 1/25/15 3:55 am

Are there nutritional differences between distal rny & proximal rny???

Thanks

Mybratboys3
on 1/25/15 8:54 am

I didn't even know there were "different" RNY's  my doc never said anything about it

Natasha O.
on 1/25/15 9:17 am

Neither did mine. In a lot of online support groups, they talk about it a lot.

Chilipepper
on 1/25/15 9:08 am

They don't do distal anymore unless it's really medically necessary. To much malabsorption.  A few of us have them because of surgical failures. You have to suppliment more

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Natasha O.
on 1/25/15 9:18 am

Thank you!! I appreciate your help! I'm guessing I have the proximal then because there were no complications.

Chilipepper
on 1/25/15 9:31 am

You are welcome!

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Chilipepper
on 1/25/15 9:24 am

Yea you would have a proximal. If they are done now it's done as a revision. They still don't like to do them even then unless it's a last resort. 

Natasha O.
on 1/25/15 11:44 am

It's funny I asked this question today, I just found the paperwork from my insurance approval. According to them it was 150 CM or less, which is proximal... did not know that!!

Amy-77
on 1/25/15 9:53 pm - WI
RNY on 12/03/14

I had surgery on 12/3/14 and mine was a distal RNY due to my higher BMI they do still do them but from my understanding only on people who have higher BMI and like me have been overweight/obese since childhood.   Gives us a better chance to loose more weight and keep it off (of course as long as we follow the program).

Height: 5'6    Highest Weight: 386     Surgery Weight (12/3/14): 344    Enjoy every day!

Chilipepper
on 1/26/15 1:17 am, edited 1/26/15 1:18 am

Yes, they will still do them for some of the super super morbidly obese patients.  Are you sure they did a distal on you though?  Your stats don't look like you would fall in that category. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 418 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 132 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?