still have 2 diet docs to go to befor we can submit anything.

lorifink1
on 1/25/15 9:31 pm

OK so I'm starting to get nervous about the whole process with my insurance. I'm just worried that they might deny me and then I'm going to have to start all over. I'm trying my hardest to loose but my first month I gained 5 lbs. The second month I lost 4 lbs. The third I lost 1 lb. And last month I stayed the same. Its not that im not trying because I am its just its hard for me to lose any. I'm working out in the pool 3x a week for at least an hour each time and trying to stick to a low cal diet but its been hard because my husband buys lots of junk food and if I see it I usually can't stop thinking of it until I have some. I go in on Friday for my next diet doc so I'm hopping I lose this time but I'm just worried. After this I only have one more diet doc. Please help encourage me and anyone who want to chat with me about the process please let me know. Thank you.

Lori

Maria27
on 1/25/15 9:54 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I had to talk with my husband and tell him to stop bringing junk food into the house. If he has to have it, maybe he can hid it from you or select something that you are not as fond of. I would definitely try to discuss this issue with him and see if you can come to some sort of resolution. He doesn't need the junk food either. My other suggestion is to pick something that you can't resist and take a few minutes to really pay attention to how it feels in you hand and mouth, how it tastes, and how it feels as you swallow. This made me realize how greasy and gross potato chips are, so now I make myself recall that feeling when I think I want to eat a potato chip. It's not always easy, but it does help. There is a book I have been reading called Eating Mindfully by Susan Albers that might help you with this. I am also pre-op, so I understand how difficult and frustrating it can be, but this is the time to start building good habits and setting yourself up for success. I hope your appointment goes well.

lorifink1
on 1/26/15 12:17 am

Thank you that helps a lot. I will look into picking up that book. I have asked my husband to do that a couple months ago and it worked for about a month. Then he started leaving it out again. I suppose I need to be more pushy.

Thank you

Lori

Jenn S.
on 1/26/15 12:36 am - Boise, ID
RNY on 06/16/14

What do you mean you have to see two "diet docs"?  I am just asking because I haven't heard that term used before.  I agree that you should be more pushy with your husband, however, one other thing you can do to not give into the junk food is distract yourself.  I usually drink a big glass of water and then go walk around the block.  Just remind yourself of your goals and why you're doing this and you'll be fine.  Good luck with your doctor visits.

lynnc99
on 1/26/15 3:03 am

Lori, your post brings up 2 topics. 

First, the insurance process. Mine took 18 months from first dr. consult to surgery date. I think I hold the prize for the longest approval time. But just do exactly what they say, and collect all the documentation yourself (as well as having it sent in) so if they pop up and say, "Oh you never did THIS step...." you can say, "Yes I did!" If they say that patience is a virtue, this process can test us in that area!!!

Now the thing with hubby....Many of us are addictive eaters. I wasn't able to eat mindfully for many many years. I just had to eat. I was obsessive if there was food in the house, or if the thought of a certain food crossed my mind. I knew, intellectually, that thinking of a food did not mean I had to eat that food...but another part of me was driven to go get it, find it, and eat it even to the point of making myself uncomfortably full. It makes no sense. But many here will know exactly what I mean. Those habits will change, with a lot of work, after surgery but it's not resolved 110% for me even now coming up on 6 years out. I have to ALWAYS be alert. I've fallen off the wagon and KNOW this continues to be an issue for me. 

Hubby may or may not be conscious that he is sabotaging your pre op progress. He may be just doing what he's always done. But there may be more to it - lots of discussion on these boards about spouses and how they react to all of this. Can he go to a support group with you? He may or may not share a weight problem with you, but may just feel it's not fair that HE has to make changes when, in fact, nothing has even happened yet!

Cathy W.
on 1/26/15 3:21 am

Talk to your husband and ask for his support regarding the junk food.  Not only do you need it now pre-operatively.  If they are trigger foods for you, you'll need his support post-op too.  Junk food is called junk for a reason - because it is junk for your body.  

That being said, you also need to keep focused on your goals for a healthy lifestyle with your WLS.  Indulging in junk food won't get you to where you want to be of having WLS.  Ask yourself if eating ______ is worth not having surgery.  Eating that fill-in-the-blank item is very temporary.  Want having WLS and being healthy are long-lasting.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

CGCL
on 1/26/15 3:56 am
RNY on 02/19/15

I had to seriously up my protein intake, and once I hit the amount that was right for me, cravings went away. I also asked hubby to eat whatever he wants but not at home. In fact, this has resulted in him deciding he wants to lose weight too--he only needs to lose about 20 lbs which should go pretty easily. Kudos to you for all the exercise! I find also that I'm really good at not buying junk, but if it's in the house it's mine and it's much much harder to not eat it or eat a sensible portion. Hence our fridge has lots of yummy veggies and meat and our pantry is pretty much empty except for SF jello boxes, bouillon and spices. 

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

shortandsweet
on 1/26/15 7:16 am

Just chiming in that I totally agree. I have been experimenting in the last week with upping my protein intake, and it has really but down on my cravings and appetite in general.

HW: 314

CW: 305

GW: 150

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 350 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views