Treat day

Waterme27
on 1/26/15 10:05 pm

during my pre surgery diet decades I would plan a no counting day, where I would eat whatever I wanted.

obviously that is not what I am suggesting, but I am inquiring how often do you allow yourself a special treat, whether it be a glass of wine, piece of cheese cake , or whatever your fav treat is ?

Cathy W.
on 1/26/15 10:47 pm

Occasionally I will eat a special treat.  For me, I have changed my special treats to healthy special treats.  I'll eat Kay's Naturals Cinnamon Toast Pretzels and Vitatops that give me that treat yet are more healthy than empty nutrition choices.  

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

STB
on 1/26/15 11:49 pm
RNY on 07/21/14

I am  pretty new post-op (six months) so I don't go down that path however, if I am out of my comfort zone (ie: visiting with friends for the weekend) I don't obsess over my food choices. I try to make the best choices I can (protein first) and I bring stuff to make protein shakes with me but if I have a piece of toast for example I don't worry too much about it. The thing I am very cautious about though is being able to get back on track immediately when I am at home again. If the "treat" won't completely trigger you and derail you then, I would think it would be OK. I have wondered if down the road I could have one "meal" a week that wouldn't be on my plan and if that would be OK. Someone said to me to check my weight daily and if I gain five pounds to go back to basics so it is not suddenly a 50 pound weight gain that I am trying to lose again and that made sense to me.

SHARON  

CatCat123
on 1/27/15 12:11 am - Canada

My Surgery date is March 5th - Is your body able to tolerate the fine sugars like that? Quite a few people I know can't tolerate the sugar and get dumping from it but others no problem.

I would like to hope I can't tolerate the treats to avoid any temptation.

Berryhoosier
on 1/27/15 2:45 am
RNY on 12/17/14

I am six weeks post op. I don't want to know if I can tolerate sugar or not. I'm just assuming I dump, and eat accordingly. Treats have a different definition now. Half a protein bar is a treat. A tablespoon of real peanut butter is a treat. A few bites of a plain baked sweet potato tastes like dessert.

kayleystar
on 1/27/15 12:25 am
RNY on 01/06/15

I'm still freshly post op (3 weeks), but I don't know how I feel about "treat days". If I allow myself a treat in the future, it absolutely can NOT be one of my trigger foods. 

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

bubbosmama
on 1/27/15 12:39 am - Canada

I am not sure at what stage you are in the process, but for myself, recently post-op even having that as a front of mind thought I find scary.  It would have been my first thought on every successful until not successful diet plan I have ever done.  I used to put such value on what I could get away with on treat day that I completely neglected the treat I was giving myself by getting healthy, nourishing my body, living pain free, and only glorified the the things I had chosen not to have,  We are all different, but if you have had any food addicton issues, perhaps making a list of the benefits of living healthy and making them the thing you dream about and plan, might aid in your ongoing success in your journey?

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/15 12:47 am

One thing I do is I buy an ice coffee with splenda and cream. I don't like to give myself a treat. I am scared of going down that road again.

I do always keep in my house healthy snacks like some different kind of yogurts. Foods that are not really a treat but good and tasty.

I have made desserts that are sugar-free to take to parties. I made a sugar-free cheesecake in my crock pot and it was really good.

Everyone was able to eat that.

Dartmouth
on 1/27/15 11:44 am - United Kingdom
RNY on 05/20/14

oooh...sugar free cheesecake?  how about sharing that recipe!  I  avoid refined sugars and crunchy treats and carbs and blah blah blah but the cheese cake could even have protein in it!

Joan

Grim_Traveller
on 1/27/15 1:01 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I do, but only when it is an actual event, not a treat, or cheat day. Like Christmas, Easter, etc. And I count and log everything. I weigh my food, I don't eyeball it or estimate. Though I might have something unusual on a holiday, by the end of the week my numbers are the same as any other week.

You can do everything right six days a week, and throw it all away on one bad day. It's just not worth it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 418 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 164 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?