Giving Up Sugar Pre Op

scarletbegonias77
on 1/31/15 12:20 am

I have about two months until my surgery. I was on the four month track. I already gave up my diet pepsi habit of 5 cans a day. My next goal to tackle before surgery is to give up sugar. I think if I  can get it out of my system now it will make post op a lot easier. Did anyone else tackle this goal pre-op?

Cathy W.
on 1/31/15 2:04 am

Giving up sugar is important before surgery and especially after surgery.  Eating sugar and simple carbs is a vicious cycle.  The more you eat them the more you want.  If you stop eating sugary foods, it will become much easier.  

You are right, if you get it out of your system now, it will be easier for you post-op.  One of the biggest ways to lose weight AND maintain your weight loss is to give up sugar.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

Cooter N.
on 1/31/15 3:28 am

I am on my pre op diet due to surgery Feb 3. I have been very strict regarding sugar. I would rather do what they say than have that withdraw afterwards when I have other things to focus on. 

Surgery 2/3/15 Band to RNY Hw:272 CW:262   

Berryhoosier
on 1/31/15 3:43 am
RNY on 12/17/14

Good plan! Also, if you have to do the pre-op liquid diet, it's nice not to give up too much at once. I did diet coke first, then sugar. 

STB
on 1/31/15 4:35 am
RNY on 07/21/14

good plan. I like Truvia as a substitute but sometimes post op your tastes will change so don't stock up too much on anything. I was a big coffee drinker so I weaned to decaf pre-op also and that was a good thing also. caffeine withdrawal can cause wicked headaches. smart to plan.

SHARON  

selhard
on 1/31/15 10:00 am, edited 1/31/15 3:37 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I cut back on almost everything to practice PROTEIN first, VEGETABLE second.  It's neat how sugar addiction can fade away; I thought I would have to fight sugar cravings forever.  What a relief it is to prefer healthy choices now.

MickeyDee
on 1/31/15 5:04 pm

Very wise!  I did the same thing and was surprised to find it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

Protein first.

Eliminate all white foods such as pasta, rice, potatoes and bread.

Drink lots of water.

Start walking!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/1/15 1:26 am

Remember that there are a loss of food that have a lot of natural sugar including fruits (some have more than others), starchy veggies (that or body lives and turns into sugars faster than real sugar- i.e. potatoes, rice, etc), And dairy - like milk or yoghurt...that had 12 gr of sugars with only 8 gr of proteins.  These natural sugars are still sugars.. 

Limiting added sugar - in proceeded food is step one. IMO.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

selhard
on 2/1/15 8:46 am, edited 2/1/15 11:50 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Adding my experiences with natural sugars...  I assumed pure maple syrup and honey were healthier choices I could make.  Not so.  My episodes with liquid sugars like these are similar to when I sample alcohol.  The affect gives me an instant feeling of "oh, oh not good."

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/1/15 9:47 am

Yea. The one you mentioned are mostly fructose... Really may make me feel and act drank... And they really can mess up the liver... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views