Oh my goodness, Lean Shake 25

healthy-rickfan1971
on 1/28/15 7:34 am

I am over 2 years out from surgery, and noticed I have had bad choices sneaking back in way too much. The loss has halted and I am not at goal yet. It is my own fault for letting the "regular" foods all around get back where they never should be very often. So I made the decision that I would jump start myself back on healthy plan by going through my surgery step again. I do not mean having it all over, but the eating part. So today I started my pre surgery full liquid diet (AKA liver shrink one doctor gave me) to get completely away from the total crap. I have always had problems tolerating the shakes. Very few have I ever been able to keep down. I know they are supposed to be under 200 calorie totals. And I have tried to stick with that. But cannot keep them in me. I have found the GNC lean shake25 that I can tolerate. The vanilla, orange, and strawberry ones in the ready made I do alright with. And the ready made is 170 calories. But I cannot afford to buy ALL ready made because they cost so much more. So to prepare for my jump back in, I got a couple of cans of the mix. The mix are 200 calories if mixed with water. I could barely choke the vanilla down with water this morning. Soo I picked up some unsweet almond milk that has only 30 calories per 8 oz to mix the powder with. My 1st of the orange mix was with it and OH MY GRACIOUS...FABULOUS. It tastes to me JUST like an orange creamsicle. I LOVE the flavor. I do hate that I end up with more than the suggested calories to keep the shakes at. But it is the only way I can do them. I know during my jump back on the wagon time I seriously need the shakes in order to keep protein levels good. And I am hoping that a week or two will break my bad habits sneaking back in. I had always said if I had the surgery I would not be one of the ones that let the crap back, but it happened. And I need to nip it before it gets TOO much of habit. It would be nice if it reflects on the scale, and I get back in losing mode from good choices. But that is not why I am doing the start over. It is purely to drop the crap, and craving for the crap. If I get the crap left out totally, I should not want it. It should make it easier to leave alone. I have only myself to blame for the slippage. And only myself to put an utter stop to it. So I shall. Wish me luck.

STB
on 1/28/15 7:49 am
RNY on 07/21/14

You don't say what the "bad habits" are but it seems like the shakes, even if they are over the 200 calories, will be more nutritious and healthy, have less fats, sugars and carbs and keep you on track so I think you are headed in the right direction. It is not only about the calories but what else is in the food you are consuming. Good for you!

SHARON  

lynnc99
on 1/28/15 9:02 am

Do what it takes! The shakes aren't cheap but honestly after almost 6 years I still have a shake every single morning.

I too said that I would NEVER let the bad habits creep back in but they do. During 2014 my regain came in earnest, so I am now logging food, putting protein first, and back to my high water intake. 

Best wishes! You've got this!

healthy-rickfan1971
on 1/28/15 9:39 am

Thanks for the replies. My bad food habits that snuck back in was going from the carb balance tortillas to getting some 45 and Delightful multigrain bread instead. Which isn't bad in itself because it is one of the lowest calories but still decent protein kinds I have found. But, I REALLY like it and have been finding myself letting it get to be more than a slice with meat sandwich to 2 slices for sandwich. Or aa couple slices dry toast. I actually enjoy toast without the goop on it. But it was getting more and more often I was having this "extra" as well as the very, very occasional "treat" like a doughnut being from maybe 1 every few months to 1 every few weeks (very BAD to have it that often) and saltines. It is so weird because I always HATED saltines before. But I had a horrible flu back in the early part of flu season that upon recovering could only keep saltines and sprite zero down for days. After that I got craving saltines to just munch on. Now, I know if I could just control myself and have a couple of crackers there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But when I noticed I was up to 4 crackers as a quick grab when everyone else hit the bed, I knew it was time to stop it and the other sneaky ones. I tried several times to get back into writing down all foods all day (and night) and would do well in the early part of my days, but drop off in evenings and end up snacking first on the protein based good for us snacks. But later the cracker grab or toast as well as my all time worst snack habit, popcorn. Even though I air pop at home and just spray a bit of I Can't Believe its not Butter on it so technically it is not that bad of a snack. But with me, I crave it every day. I have tried but not been successful in popping off the corn. So I am trying to reset my tastes and habits back from the beginning. And keep the good ones up while dropping the bad ones. I am holding myself accountable BEFORE I let myself slip to where I am gaining back what I had lost. Like I said, if I get back to losing that is great. But my goal here is to get back to the good habits of lots of water, protein, log everything I eat and what I drink besides the water or decaf iced tea, get some movement (exercise) in. Even if it is just walking. Back to back injuries and illness has kept me from staying in a routine. But now my knees are better, my pinched nerve has improved. I am not having the feared mastectomies or hysterectomy (at least not yet) and in my area it is not snow and ice. So I need to get moving again along with my fixing what I consume.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404