Post op bowl movements

tinalinabear26
on 1/30/15 3:43 pm

How long did it take for you guys to have a bowl movement post op? 

Its been 5 days for me and Im starting to get concerned. Im not sure if this is normal or not? 

Thanks for the help guys!

kayleystar
on 1/30/15 10:55 pm
RNY on 01/06/15

Mine finally happened on day 5 or 6 (can't remember). It's totally normal. My surgeon said it could take up to a week to have a bowel movement. If you don't have anything in a couple of days, give your surgeon a call for advice on how to proceed. I received a packet upon discharge that explained what I should do if I didn't have a bowel movement within a week, but every surgeon/program is different, so the advice given to me may not be good advice for you. 

Hope things start moving for you!

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

carimiller9173
on 1/30/15 10:58 pm - Wilmington, DE

Good morning.  Congrats on your surgery.  I too am 5 days post op.  First BM was at 4 days.  I was concerned also so I took magnesium citrate to help move things along.  My doc said milk of magnesia or something along those lines.  Hope that helps.  

Cari

Pre-op weight 342.5; Surgery 320.7

M 1-10.5

selhard
on 1/30/15 11:22 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Normal.  I was sent home from the hospital with Milk of Magnesia (sp?) to help out.  Loose stools are also normal the first few weeks.  Then, constipation can become an ongoing issue requiring a lot of us, like me, to use Miralax on a daily basis.

writergirl
on 1/31/15 12:23 am - Canada

Just adding what the nurse told me when I was discharged - baby food prunes.  It works.  Just a spoonful or so can get things going.  The taste is not bad.  As well, remember you haven't been eating much of anything, so it takes some time for the plumbing to get going again.  I had surgery on a Tuesday and didn't go until Saturday.  Keep hydrated!

selhard
on 1/31/15 9:18 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Friendly caution:  baby food prunes would have had too high of a sugar content for me.  I remember feeling sick on two grapes that early post-op, also. Yes, keep hydrated. 

chulbert
on 1/31/15 1:51 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

You're still well within the norm.  Unless you're feeling discomfort I wouldn't worry too much.  The poop will come.

Cathy W.
on 1/31/15 2:07 am

Completely normal.  From your surgery and being replumbed it takes a few days to get things going again.  Plus, you aren't taking in much so early post op.  It took me a week and two days to have a bowel movement.

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

tinalinabear26
on 1/31/15 2:56 pm

thanks everyone for your help!!

joshie2645
on 2/1/15 1:27 am - Springdale, AR

I had my bowl movement I think 2 days after surgery. It was horrible. Bloody and mostly a liquid-ish semi solid mess. But my doctor said that would be normal. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 369 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 341 views