Gallbladder

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/15 1:48 am, edited 2/27/15 1:50 am
RNY on 02/24/14

Hello everyone!  It's been awhile since I've been here, but not by choice. Believe me life got in the way of a lot of things this past year. Since November alone I've had 2 major surgeries. NOTHING to do with my Gastric Bypass though.  But, Jusssssssssst when I thought I'm over the worst so to speak, My surgeon called me yesterday with the results of my gallbladder ultrasound which btw just happened to have had it on my 1 yr anniversary of my RNY.  Turns out I have gallstones so now I have to have my gallbladder removed. Aarrggghhhhh! Pure frustration folks!  I wonder why it wasn't just removed during my RNY :/ 

So what am I looking at as far as recovery time, pain, etc?  One would think after 3 major surgeries in 10 months that I'd be used to pain already LOL! (Have to keep a sense of humor).  How will things be afterwards? Any advice, suggestions, etc will be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I know everyone is different, so I'm looking for several experiences so I can get a heads up on what to expect.

I read that this surgery is more painful than the RNY, (hoping that is NOT true) I had a LOT of pain with the RNY, so if pain is that bad. O M G!!

On a side note.. NO regrets what so ever. I'm down 130 lbs, I look good too lol but seriously, My health overall is so good. It blows my mind how this surgery (RNY) literally SAVED my life!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, Have a great day :)

Caroline K.
on 2/27/15 4:07 am

I had my RNY last April, and my gallbladder out in November. The RNY was relatively pain free for me, after the first couple of days. I found the gallbladder removal worse, but that have been partially due to the hiatal hernia repair also done at that time, plus that one incision through which the gallbladder is removed is bigger. Still, off 2 weeks rather than the 4 for the RNY, and felt mostly fine pretty quickly.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

ShebasMom
on 2/27/15 10:50 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I had my gall bladder removed 10 months after my rny.  (I also had knee surgery 2 months after rny). In comparison, my gall bladder surgery was not as bad as my rny surgery. Recovery was much better, and I was 60 lbs lighter. I am a believer in pain medication, which I took for 5 days afterwards. I was ready for work in 10 days, compared to the 6 weeks after rny.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/27/15 9:50 pm

I had GB surgery with gh hernia repair. I was back to (desk) job in 5 days. I was more tired for probably 2-3 weeks after, but had rather normal life. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 506 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 418 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 191 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?