Pre-made Protein Shakes with the right kind of protein?

mute
on 2/28/15 1:47 am
RNY on 03/23/15

My surgery is in a few weeks and I've been drinking protein shakes here and there as meal replacements as I'm trying to lose some weight on my own before the surgery. I know my tastes may change after the surgery but I want to have some shakes on hand that are pre-made for after the surgery. I know that we absorb a certain type of protein better - I think it's the whey isolate not the concentrate - and where I live is kind of in the middle of nowhere. So it's hard to find that kind anywhere around here since I only have Wal-mart. 

Obviously I can order online - any suggestions? I already ordered Unjury powder but looking for the shakes for the quick fixes when I'm in a hurry. Any suggestions of ones you like?

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

SkinnyScientist
on 2/28/15 2:38 am

Um...I didnt know that we can absorb some protein better than others.

The pre-made protein shakes recommended by my surgereon were EAFS (it begins wiht an E anyway) and atkins.

Oh...dont go crazy in buyin ghuge volumes of shakes (I did)> You will be drinking 1/4-1/2 of the them for a meal.  It will take FOREVER to use them up. and once you get on real food...you may never want to go back to shakes again. I didnt. So I had to hide the protien shakes in oatmeal and stuff.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

SkinnyScientist
on 2/28/15 2:39 am

excess chocolate protein shake is a good creamer for coffee (not really..but it worked).

vanilla protein shake went well with oatmeal.

I hate shakes

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

kayleystar
on 2/28/15 5:28 am
RNY on 01/06/15

I usually drink 2 Premier Protein shakes per day (chocolate). I also sometimes use Body Fortress (chocolate) that you can get from Walmart. Although I think Premier has a better taste. I'm 7 weeks out, but still on 2oz. food per meal, so I have to supplement for a while. Can't WAIT until I can drop it down to 1 shake a day! :)

Highest Weight: 412 | Day of Surgery: 385 | Current: 341
Surgery Date: 1/6/2015 

NadiaM
on 2/28/15 7:07 am

I'm 18 months out and I still enjoy the vanilla and chocolate premier protein shakes from Costco. However, I usually use them for after an intense muscle building workout since they have 30g of protein. I used to however have them for breakfast in my 1st year or so. I just don't find theyrr consistent enough as a meal anymore. 

JAMStribe
on 2/28/15 7:10 am

my NUT says Whey protein only.  I didn't buy a lot of premade stuff cause your taste buds WILL change. I swear they operated on mine at the same time. Also if you buy a protein powder make sure it has no taurine in it.  It makes your selection much smaller but she told me it inhibits your protein absorption. 

I ordered Nectar. I hated it but you may be fine with it. 

Now I do shakeology only for breakfast cause its quick and easy and I have an hour drive to work.

burghblonde
on 3/1/15 8:27 am
RNY on 05/12/14

Premier Protein chocolate is hands down my absolute favorite!! Always keep some to grab on the go. I use the Vanilla creme Body Fortress when I make my own. I can add whatever I want to it to make different flavors and then throw it in a blender bottle for on the go as well. ;)

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

mute
on 3/1/15 8:35 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Thanks everyone for the input!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

ShannonMichelle
on 3/2/15 12:55 am - Canada

I'm almost 4 weeks out and after surgery you may find that you tolerate things differently. My plan was to have whey isolate protein with less than 5 g of carbs but my stomach can't tolerate them. I have tried numerous kinds and thankfully have found that most places will take them back and refund because I would be out almost $400 if they didn't. I have tried adding it to my cream of wheat, yogurt, puddings and all ended up in a severe stomach ache. I have found that the best bet is to go to Popeyes if you have one near you and they will let you take samples home to try. I have found that premier protein (pre made) is the only thing my stomach can sort of tolerate if I sip on one all day. I've been told to try vegan but have yet to try it. Protein shakes are my enemy and i honestly can't wait till I can eat enough food so I don't have to worry. I hope you have better luck than me with protein shakes. And best of luck on your up coming surgey :) 

Surgery Feb 6th 2015  

JLynnHR
on 3/4/15 9:41 am

I was glad (in a selfish way) to see your post because I have been having so much trouble with the protein drinks making me feel

so nauseated. Someone told me there was a vegan protein but I haven't found it. I'm into the second month post-op and like you can't wait to get to the point where shakes are not needed. i've tried ground beef and eggs but have gotten sick eating those too. Do you know if there is  a way to find others who have experienced these issues? This the the first time I've ever gotten on this site, so (obviously) I don't know what I'm doing.  Good luck with your journey.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 292 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics