First blood work results

sqlchick19
on 3/3/15 1:42 pm
RNY on 12/15/14

got my results back...my appt w dr is in a few weeks...so I'll know more then.

heres what I know so far:

my pre-albumin is low

my b12, mpv, and b1 are all high

they forgot to do my D levels...everything else is in normal range.

do I stop taking my b12 and bcomplex until I see the dr?  What's pre-albumin?  Protein?

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

poet_kelly
on 3/3/15 7:48 pm - OH

Personally I would not stop taking my B12 altogether, but might cut back on my dose if my level was very high.  Since we lack intrinsic factor, we cannot absorb B12 from our food so I would not want to be without a supplement altogether.

Yes, pre-albumin has to do with protein and if it's low, it likely means you aren't getting enough.  What were your total protein and albumin levels?

Are they redrawing for your vitamin D hydroxy level?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/3/15 10:16 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Don't take anyone's word for anything. Get the printout. Save it. Start a spreadsheet so you can track all your results. Trends are just as important as individual numbers.

Keep in mind that a really complete set of labs is about 15 vials.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

selhard
on 3/3/15 10:26 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

15 vials!  I've been robbed not remembering anywhere near that many vials.  I have no clue what labs I would be missing, either? Sounds like you gave me some investigation work to do, Grim.  Thanks. 

Grim_Traveller
on 3/3/15 10:41 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Some tests, like copper, require a vial just for that one test. Some also need to be sent out, since they aren't commonly done. Even though I'm in Boston, they send the copper vial to the Mayo Clinic.

Other vials have to be kept on ice, others have to be wrapped to keep light out. Docs rarely do everything unless you make a point of it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

poet_kelly
on 3/4/15 3:45 am - OH

I've found it varies a bit depending on which lab I used but yeah, usually mine is 14 to 16 vials, a few of which cannot be done at the local hospital but get sent elsewhere.  And yes, some of the vials need to be light protected.

You might be missing things like vitamin A, copper, zinc, selenium, or PTH.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

siberiancat
on 3/4/15 2:19 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I agree with Grim.  I've had as many as 19 vials drawn.  I keep a spreadsheet from year to year with bariatric, my endocrinologist, and general physicians.  I can see trends develop and give the doctor insight.

Don't depend on results just being within the "normal" limits.  For sure, get copies of any labs, scans, xrays, etc. and keep a medical file for yourself.

Best wishes,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

selhard
on 3/4/15 1:05 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

It never ceases to amaze me how much I learn here on a regular basis.  Today I learned:  1)how much other people know and how little I know just when I think I know a thing or two  2)get copies of everything and keep a spreadsheet  3)managing personal health is a lot of work 4)managing personal health feels so self-absorbing  5)managing personal health is worth it 6)how continually thankful and appreciative I am to have help.  

knolmom
on 3/5/15 3:58 am

Had my 3 month follow up from RNY this morning. Last Thurday they took 17 vials of blood for testing all all levels were excellent. Had trouble getting both iron( ferretin) and calcium supplements in at the outset but did pretty good the last 2 weeks. Surgeon today said that the ferretin is the most important. My D levels were excellent too, after 5 years of having low Vitamin D results. I have been taking 50,000 units of D per week( 1 tablet every Wednesday AM) since final consult on October 30. My A1C went from 7.2 to 6.1 WITHOUT Diabetes meds since the day before my surgery. And I have lost 46 lbs, which is just so-so but apparently a big deal for someone 66 years old, with limited mobility and who only exercisesin the pool.

I am really greatful for the good numbers, the 17 vials of blood..not so much.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 327 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 367 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 327 views