Four days since my surgery just would like some insight on the pain

Woody1115
on 3/3/15 8:55 pm

Hi, got home from my surgery on Sunday and everything went great.  I have only one incision that gives me most discomfort which I was told is normal.  Now several days later I still find that one area very sore.  Its above the incision that really hurts and feels like its pulling/burning sensation.  Not sure if Im being overly sensitive but it bothers me.  Just worried.  I go see the nurse on Monday.  Wondering if anyone else out there felt similar.  Ive also had alot of problems with the protein shakes.  They make me gag and whatever I try to do to it doesnt work.  Feeling stressed and scared.

catalina07
on 3/3/15 9:17 pm - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

Some people say they barely had any pain. I was NOT one of those people. I had a LOT of significant pain. I was pretty useless for a week...and then slowly improved day by day. I did have a pain that concerned me because it came some time after the initial pain started subsiding. I asked my surgeon about it and she said it was actually the INTERNAL stitches that I was feeling. She said that I might not have noticed it before due to my other external pain. It felt like something inside was pulling or stretching or something like that. It was pretty uncomfortable...and I didn't believe her either. I thought, "there must be something wrong".  Turns out, she mustve been right because in the amount of time she said it was go away, it DID!  I wonder if you are having something similar to that.  Also, I hated protein shakes. The only ones I could tolerate were the Premier Protein Chocolate shakes. I hate protein powder flavor. These tastes the least like the ones you have to make yourself. Also, I think it was called Isopure? It was more of like a juice drink. not milky. I got a couple at The Vitamin Shoppe. They are really sweet but at least they are not milky. You are going to be ok. Just try to get in your water and protein and get lots of rest. Good Luck

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

Tina912
on 3/4/15 2:14 am

About the pain I can't say because I was lucky enough to not have any pain...but as far as the protein shakes go, I use the Premier Protein shakes and put them in the blender with a few ice cubes, and a tablespoon of PB2, which is a peanut butter powder, and it really helps them not be so thick and gross!  The peanut butter powder also hides that weird taste the protein shakes have.  I could barely get them down before I tried doing this, thinning it out with the ice really helps!  Good luck and I hope your pain subsides soon!

mamata2
on 3/3/15 9:57 pm

I had a very similar pain.  I found that an abdominal binder or spanx really helped the pain.  Just having the additional support made it much easier to walk, get up and down, and reduced pain in general.  Congrats and good luck!

diane48
on 3/4/15 12:55 am
RNY on 05/07/13

That Isosourse from the Vitamin Store can be pretty strong and I couldn't stand the taste right after surgery.  I later found that if I diluted it with water it didn't taste as bad.  One thing I liked is Unjery chicken soup available online.  Both are good alternatives.  The pain will improve. 

Kathyjs
on 3/5/15 11:45 am

They did a lot of work on your insides. This is common

pw4413
on 3/8/15 8:27 am

After i went home i had some pain after surgery. My surgeon prescribed liquid lortab. It really helped and I took when needed.After the first week pain was very minimal then no pain. It is still early after your surgery. It will be ok. Just be positive and follow surgeon orders.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views