FEELING SAD

80sBaby90sKid
on 3/5/15 5:01 am

I had my first psych visit today and I am very sad to say that my psychiatrist would not clear me for surgery has anyone ever been through something like this I don't know what to do I am feeling very sad and very discouraged so just wondering if anybody has not been cleared for surgery and not necessarily by a psychiatrist but by any of your other doctors and if you have what did you do and how did you cope

Kathy S.
on 3/5/15 5:49 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

If you feel comfortable in sharing, what was the reason/s for not clearing you for surgery?  Depending the reasons maybe they feel you are not ready, or doing it for the wrong reasons. I tell people I talk to "You have to get it right between the ears before re-arranging you're plumbing".  They want you to be successful and you have to be in the right place mentally to do so.

Keep us posted on how you are doing

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

poet_kelly
on 3/5/15 8:00 am - OH

Why wouldn't he clear you?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hollykim
on 3/5/15 10:06 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 5, 2015 at 1:01 PM Pacific Time, 80sBaby90sKid wrote:

I had my first psych visit today and I am very sad to say that my psychiatrist would not clear me for surgery has anyone ever been through something like this I don't know what to do I am feeling very sad and very discouraged so just wondering if anybody has not been cleared for surgery and not necessarily by a psychiatrist but by any of your other doctors and if you have what did you do and how did you cope

are they wanting additional costs with you before clearing you?

Sherrie P.
on 3/5/15 10:34 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Just because your weren't cleared NOW doesn't mean you can't work towards clearance. Like everyone else said - it is hard to say without knowing why you were denied. It is truly a head game too. If you have some underlying issues that need to be worked out, the surgery won't solve your obesity.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Kathyjs
on 3/5/15 11:19 am

Try again. Don't say, I want this to look better , red flag. Good luck I sure hope it works out

80sBaby90sKid
on 3/5/15 11:55 am

She would not clear me because she thinks I am depressed and have anxiety 

poet_kelly
on 3/5/15 12:02 pm - OH

Depression and anxiety are not contraindications for WLS, though.  Why does she think you should not have surgery due to your depression?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RNY_040314
on 3/5/15 12:54 pm

I was not cleared at my initial psych evaluation (later found out it was due to mixing up the  numbers & answers on the bubble answer sheet.) I was devastated. I requested a 2nd evaluation. I was cleared after that. I am almost 1 year post op & almost 100lbs down. Talk to the doctor. Try again & again. However, if there is an underlying emotional or mental issue I'd suggest you deal with that before surgery because this is quite the emotional roller-coaster. Depression can set in for some. Trust that it is only to help you be successful with your weight loss & the mind game/tricks that come with it. Best of luck to you!

4Nikki
on 3/5/15 1:16 pm

My niece didn't get cleared either and it crushed her. The psychiatrist said she was depressed too. I don't think she's depressed but I do think she read too deep into the test questions. I took the same test, after her and felt like the questions could be difficult if you read too into them. I'm a pretty positive person and thought in a more positive manner when answering questions, such as answering a question that asked "do you have enemies?" with "no." My niece read that and thought "I'm sure someone out in this world dislikes me" so she responded yes.  I got the impression that my psychiatrist was looking for people with a positive attitude, confident that they could make be successful, willing to make any and all sacrifices, and youbelieve in the process.

The psychiatrist told my niece to go see her in a year. Just because you didn't get cleared now doesn't mean you'll never get cleared. Make sure when you go back you want the surgery for "you." Also, that your head is in the right place so you are thinking more clear and positive.

Hope this helps.  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 418 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 368 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 64 views