Having a hard time after surgery

Woody1115
on 3/5/15 6:59 pm

Hi, well it will be 7 days today that I had my surgery.  Still have pain in the one incision not sure if this is normal after a week.  Im having such a hard time drinking enough and getting enough protein shakes into me.  I feel nauseous and not sure if its my nerves though.  I have a hard time sleeping which I think its because I usually sleep on my side but cant till the pain in my stomach goes away.  My goodness I feel like a whiner lol but Im really scared and frustrated with myself at this point.  I should be starting puree foods tomorrow but really nervous to make me worse or feel sick and vomit.  Has anyone else gone through this, am I just being too paranoid and its normal to have still pain after 7 days and nausea.  I would appreciate knowing Im not alone and to stop the whining. 

Doingrightin2015
on 3/5/15 7:18 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

When do you go back to see your doctor? I already have my week out and my month out appointments made which go side by side to the days I am to start my pureed and then my month out to soft. So I will be seeing my Doctors/NUT before  begin my net phase. I have not had my surgery yet. This coming Tuesday. but what you are describing sounds normal from what I hear others on here say. But it is always best to check with your doctor!!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

Poodlemac
on 3/5/15 7:26 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I had some lingering pain, more like discomfort, in one incision. My doctor assured me it was normal. I also had occasional sharp, stabbing pain later on- more scary than actually painful. I never took any pain meds after I left the hospital.  One day it was all just gone!!  Hang in there!!

(deactivated member)
on 3/5/15 9:19 pm

It is normal to have pain. Call your doctor for the nausea there are meds they can give you to help with that. Your not whining you are asking normal questions. 

Maybe try the protein soup they have. Your doctor gets paid a lot of money it is ok to call them and tell them what you are feeling.

I hope you feel better. You will feel better. 

Moogum73104
on 3/5/15 10:14 pm
RNY on 02/02/15 with

My surgery was on 2/2/15 and I remember the exact same feelings that you are having.  It does get better.  Are you taking any liquid pain meds?  That is what was making me nauseous.  As for the drinking, just try the best you can to sip, sip, sip... That was so hard for me to do.  If you are still having problems or start to feel light headed or any signs of dehydration, just call your doctor. 

As for the sleeping, I am also a side sleeping and had to sleep on a chair for the first week and a half.  I know sleep with two really long pillows and two regular pillows.  They are your friend when you get in bed. :)  I lay both the long pillows on the bed and I lay right on top of them, one on each side and underneath me on both sides.  Then I was try and lean towards one side like I was sleeping on my side and eventually you will be able to without hurting. :)  I started sleeping on my side about 3 weeks out without hurting.

Woody1115
on 3/5/15 10:27 pm

Thanks I just might try that!! 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/5/15 10:18 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

At seven days, I definitely still had pain at one incision.  In fact, I had a small hernia repair done at the same time -- and that hurt for weeks.  It took three weeks until I could sleep on my side -- because my stomach pull against that painful part.  It was hard to sleep well and  I hated it.  It passes.  I promise.

As far as the nausea, if you aren't getting enough hydration, you will feel nauseous.  It's sort of a vicious circle thing: you don't drink because you feel sick and then you feel sick because you aren't drinking enough.  Ask your dr if you can't get something to help get over the hurdle -- one or two anti nausea pills may be all you need to get more fluids in and stop the cycle.

I promise, it gets better. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Woody1115
on 3/5/15 10:25 pm

Thanks makes sense  and you helped make me feel better

:)

iloveravens
on 3/5/15 10:27 pm
RNY on 08/13/14

It all sounds very normal to me.  I was in the hospital for 5 days, so I know I was still very much out of it and in pain at 7 days.  I don't think I ever made my protein or water goals for even 1 day in those early weeks.  It DOES get so much better...it just takes time.  Hang in there, you'll be making and exceeding your protein and liquid goals in no time.  xoxo 

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Woody1115
on 3/5/15 10:31 pm

Makes me feel better with all your replies.  To know that the pain is normal after 7 days I guess I just want to hurry and feel better to get some work done around the house.  Simple dishes is hard lol.  Knowing you had problems drinking your goal and protein goal reasures me that Im not alone and i will get through it ...right? :)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 408 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 418 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404