Time off work for RNY?

mute
on 3/5/15 2:12 am
RNY on 03/23/15

My surgery date is fast approaching - 18 days away and I'm so nervous/scared/excited!!

My work is too small to have FMLA and they didn't have STD when I got this scheduled. I have STD insurance now but it won't kick in for a while. My boss knows I'm having surgery, but I didn't tell him what it was for since I feel it's none of his business. I work from home sitting at a computer all day. My surgeon told me 2-3 weeks recovery. I told my boss I would need 2 weeks, figuring that I definitely wouldn't need 3 since let's face it sitting at my desk is not as big of deal as many jobs.

So he's letting me borrow ahead from my vacation that I will accumulate eventually by 5 days for the first week. The second week he said I could take unpaid - which I told him upfront I'm okay with, which I am. But now he's been asking me if I'll be checking emails and working part time that second week. I really, really can't afford to lose my job so I've been avoiding his questions for now.

So I'm asking you guys - if all you had to do was walk from your bedroom 5 feet to the next room and sit down at a computer and work maybe 20 hours at a laptop could you do on week 2?

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Navychic
on 3/5/15 2:57 am
RNY on 02/09/15

This was me personally, and I know you'll hear the full spectrum, but I could have done it.  I was out shopping on week 2 and doing pretty ok.  I really think the second week for me was more about developing an eating/ drinking pattern and being on my own timeline helped with that.  I know I was on here writing posts,

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

mute
on 3/5/15 3:01 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I definitely expect and want to hear the full spectrum so thank you!

The one thing I have going in my favor (besides being incredibly lucky to work from home) is that I've had a lot of surgeries in the past and know how I recover from anesthesia and know that generally I handle surgery pretty well. But obviously I've never had this particular surgery so there's that. Argh, I hate the unknown lol!

I had a major abdominal surgery before and was off for 6 weeks when at a different job 5 years ago and that was rough because I was so bored and could barely move!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

JAMStribe
on 3/5/15 2:58 am

I have a desk job as well. I took 2 weeks and then monday - wednesday of the third to ease myself back in. I think checking emails would be reasonable for the second week. Especially if you aren't having to drive to work..work.. then drive home..  I think as long as you take it easy, listen to your body ( for real) you may be ok. Some people are great after one week.  Everyone is so different.  I would be sure to keep the lines of communication open with your boss during week 2 so he knows how you are feeling etc.  Would he consider you working say 3 hours in the morning... napping/resting then another 1-2 in the afternoon?   Something to think about.  

Best of luck  

Karlie J.
on 3/5/15 3:04 am
RNY on 02/16/15 with

I went back a week after to a desk job and was fine. Actually I found I was better about getting fluids in at work vs home where I'd lay around and watch TV and forget to sip. 

kwashington09
on 3/5/15 3:28 am

I went back to work after 4 weeks and I have a sit down job as well I but I have to drive into the office. Personally after 2 weeks I would not have been able to work 20 hours even from home. You have to be so focused on staying hydrated and getting your walking in I know if I would have turned on my laptop at home I would have gotten sucked into the craziness and over did it. Also for me being on all liquids until I returned to work 4 weeks post op I found my energy levels to be low during that time. Even once I returned to work I found sitting for more that 2 hours at a time to be difficult. For me the heating pad has been a lifesaver. Good luck.

cspotrun
on 3/5/15 4:17 am
RNY on 07/01/14

It would have been very difficult for me, not because of pain but because of nausea and anemia.  Aside from the walking I forced myself to do, I had to lie down all the time or risk vomiting or getting very lightheaded.  Maybe you can tell your boss that you hope to work some later on in the second week if you are up to it and are cleared by your doctor, and you can let him know if that seems feasible by the beginning of the second week. I went back at 3 weeks.  It was tough and I was very tired for that first week, but then I was fine.  I have a desk job at an office.

Karen   

HFA70
on 3/5/15 4:26 am

I had 10 days off.  I work in an office, by boss and two co workers knew my situation.  It took some planning to come back in regards to food as I was still in the pureed phase, but I was happy about the distraction from sitting around at home.

It also helped me with my schedule in regards to vitamins and not drinking while eating.

I was tired at the end of the day though for the first couple of weeks.

Good luck!

mschwab
on 3/5/15 4:53 am
RNY on 11/21/14

My surgeon recommended that I take 4 weeks off, and I negotiated 2 weeks off and 2 weeks working from home.  My employer was super supportive and I had the paid time off for all 4 weeks, but I get bored at home and wanted to lessen the impact of work piling up for 4 weeks.  

I'm glad I didn't try to go into the office during that time.  Not because of the healing from surgery.  Mine was pretty easy and I bounced back quickly.  Learning to eat, getting enough fluids in and struggling with protein was a full time job.  I was able to do that in an environment that made it much easier.  Everyone is different and have their own life cir****tances that vary.  If you can not work during that second week, I would recommend that you don't, but only you know if it will put you in a bad place with your employer.  

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

MEZ
on 3/5/15 5:12 am - Wilmington, NC

Yes, I'd absolutely plan to. I was back at work after a week (also a total office/sitting/computer job). If you have complications, you have complications, and address those at the time, but I'd say you could absolutely sit at a computer week 2. Especially from home in your pajamas.

Ellen            RNY      Surgery Date: 12/6/2011
5' 5.5"          Surgery BMI 37.5        HW 254            SW 230         GW 150 - reached 11/6/12 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 387 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 204 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 478 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 397 views
Recent Topics