Considering RNY in a few months

michele2008
on 3/27/15 1:30 pm - SD

I had lap band in 2008, and I lost 105 pounds (I started at 287 and my lowest was 182).  It worked great for me, until I began to feel severe heartburn.  The last three years have been a nightmare.  I am now back to 275. After having a scope done, they realized that my band was in the wrong place and was basically moving around.  I had it removed in February.  My surgeon feels that getting gastric bypass RNY would be the best fit for me.  I am considering this at the end of May.  I am just feeling nervous about making such a permanent change to my body.  I know that I would be successful, as the band worked for me and I believe there are similarities.  Has anyone gone from the band to RNY?  What is the same/different?  What is the hardest part of living with the RNY procedure?  I would love some feedback, as I think this over for the next few months.

selhard
on 3/27/15 2:12 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Things I consider no big deal but some do:  supplement-taking, the smell and taste of protein powder, weight stalls

Things I consider the hardest part but some don't:  constipation, fear of regain, getting in enough exercise

sqlchick19
on 3/27/15 2:43 pm
RNY on 12/15/14

I had a band to RNY revision 12/15/14.  I lost 80 lb with the band...but started getting stuck and felt like I was choking all the time, etc.  The RNY feels so much better, more natural. I am SO SO SO happy.  I feel SO much better, no getting stuck, no problems with steak, shrimp, chicken breast...no more choking, throwing up aspirating...

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/27/15 9:03 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Thrilled with my decision - I am almost 20 months post-op revision.  You can read my profile if you want to see what my journey looks like as I documented the first 18 months in detail.  It really is an entirely different experience.  Good luck in your research. 

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Eggface
on 3/28/15 2:21 am - Sunny Southern, CA

I have a bunch of pals that have had revisions from band to RNY or VSG (some due to mechanical failure, some because weightloss results were not optimal) all are happy with their decision. Hope you will be too.

I think the benefit is not having to find your sweet spot with fills, unfills... it's done. 

I can count on one hand how many times I puked, dumped and those were early on in my journey. Zero complications. Very happy.

You are welcome to check out my blog below... 8 1/2 years of life post weight loss surgery. Hope it helps.

Best wishes in whatever choice you make,

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?