Emotional...recent surgery

tiredofthediets
on 3/27/15 7:51 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I posted this on the general forum but someone suggested I post it here as well. I just had surgery Monday. I'm home now and statistically doing well. Emotionaly however I'm a wreck! I've seen tons of people post after their first week that its rough and others tell them it gets easier so I swore I wouldn't post but I just needed some encouragement! !  When do you start to feel a little normal again? Also, I was on optifast for a month beforw so I'm SO over liquids. Nothing takes good.

tofa05
on 3/27/15 8:06 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I had my surgery the sane day stayed 2  nights got home the other day. It has not been to bad the pain is getting better I hope for you also. Have not been too hungry but been drinking a lot keep up your flouids....we can do this  

Maria27
on 3/27/15 8:18 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I feel your frustration. I'm just taking it one day at a time. Some days are easier than others. I'm really struggling right now because I want to eat anything and everything other than the limited things I'm allowed right now! I'm sure it will get better when we advance to the next diet stage. Just focus on why you had wls.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Cathy W.
on 3/27/15 9:15 am

It does get better.  You've just had surgery under five days.  Your body is recuperating so physically you're recovering and the accompanying emotions are common.  Try to look long term.  Think how great you'll feel when you are seeing your weight loss, improved energy and health which will happen as long as you keep on track with food and exercise.  

Real food will be coming.  I had surgery in 2001 and I'll never forget the first time I had Taco Bell beans.  Taco Bell beans??  But yes. Your surgery and all you're going through will be worth it.  

I'm glad that you reached out to us so we can support you.  Read posts, reply, make your own posts and hang out on OH.  When I had my surgery, I was a lurker but I spent hours on OH and that gave me lots of support.  Make sure to go to your surgeon's support group meetings.  

I felt good until about five weeks post-op.  Five weeks is when I had the emotional roller coaster for a couple of weeks.  I read a post where a post-op replied to someone else that was about 4-5 weeks post-op.  This longer term post-op told the member that she promised it would get better.  That made me feel lots better....and she was right.  Keep on track with your surgeon's protocol and I promise you that it will get better.  

Take care.....

Cathy

Want to get back on track or stay on track? Get Back On Track Together!

karenp8
on 3/27/15 9:22 am - Brighton, IL

It is just fine to need encouragement. Most of us did. It is all so new and your body is trying to heal and you are so limited in your food choices right now. But I promise this I is the hardest part and it will get a bit easier each day. Just keep reminding yourself why you had surgery and follow your doctors plan to a T. You truly will be amazed at your results and how much better you feel. I had surgery 31 months ago and lost about 150 pounds. I feel so much better now and you will too! Hang in there and post anytime!

helionoftroy
on 3/27/15 9:46 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

I know how you're feeling. I had surgery on Monday as well. Emotionally I think I may be my usual ornery self. Although I did get emotional with my father this morning but he is battling cancer and refuses to quit smoking. I walked by him and smelled cigarette smoke, I just walked away and started crying.

I had to order Unjury protein today because the protein powders I had tasted metallic. Yuck!! This can only get better so hang in there!!  

Emiepie
on 3/27/15 10:00 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Just try and remember your body went through major surgery and is healing! Also, I know my hormones were all over the place! It does get better!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

MickeyDee
on 3/27/15 10:35 am

It can take two to three weeks for your body to totally eliminate the after-effects of anesthesia.  They put poisons in our bodies to stop us for surgery!!  

Walk, drink, chewchewchew, nap as needed.

tiredofthediets
on 3/28/15 3:51 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Thanks everyone.  I'm still a little blah today bUT the sun is out so I have all the doors open (still too cold to go out). I just need to get to my 1 week appointment Thurs. First goal!!! Thanks for listening!

Beth Of Fletchair
on 3/28/15 4:10 am, edited 3/28/15 4:11 am
with

This is probably going to sound simplistic but....Homemade Chicken Soup! My sainted Brother made me a months worth of frozen Organic Bone Broth and stocked my freezer with it as a "welcome home from the hospital" gift.
It saved my life.  Bone broth is fantastic at healing your stomach, great for your joints and skin and hair and it like a hug in a cup.  It's a real physical and emotional boost.

It's been 6 months since my surgery and I make a big crock pot full every weekend and drink at least a cup every day. Make sure you strain it through cheesecloth to be safe. Here is lot's of information about Bone Broth

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 254 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views
Recent Topics