Lab results, some flagged , D3 is is 148

Katie_Kat
on 3/28/15 12:17 am, edited 3/28/15 4:33 am
RNY on 06/10/13

I had labs taken last week.

I recieved my copies in the mail.

Magnesuim was flagged as high 2.2 and the range has 2.1 as the highest.

My Folate is 25.2 and highest on my slip is 20.0

B12 is 1625 and highest says 914

Vit B1 is 236.4 and highest on my slip is 200.0 

Vit B6 is 35.8 and highest says 32.8 

Vit D is 148.0 and highest says 100.0

Vit K1  is 0.22    flagged as Low, range says 0.28-1.78  

Vit E is 18.4  range has highest  17.8  

Except for the D3 , do you think any of the others flagged are a real concern?

These are the supplements I take that contain these flagged labs.

50,000 IU once a week of the D3

500mcg  of B12 daily (sublingual)

B1 and B6  I do take a B 50 complex daily

Vit K and Vit E from my Multi 2 a day

The rest of my labs are within the ranges listed for each test.

Thank you

Edited to add: I can not for the life of me remember why I even started taking a B complex.

Also I have Osteopenia if any of these possibly pertain to this? 

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/28/15 1:20 am

D is too high. B6 is too high, but not dangerously high. But that vit too high is bad, and it seams to accumulate. 

. K is too low. E is mariginal...

I would love to have b12 like yours.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Katie_Kat
on 3/28/15 3:48 am, edited 3/28/15 3:49 am
RNY on 06/10/13
Katie_Kat
on 3/28/15 4:22 am
RNY on 06/10/13
On March 28, 2015 at 8:20 AM Pacific Time, H.a.l.a. B. wrote:

D is too high. B6 is too high, but not dangerously high. But that vit too high is bad, and it seams to accumulate. 

. K is too low. E is mariginal...

I would love to have b12 like yours.  

Lost my reply above ??

Thanks for the reply, My Dr. wants me to stop the D for 1 month , then restart at a lower dose.

He isn`t concerned with the B12., should I be?

He didn`t mention the Magnesium, or the Vit K or Vit E, he did mention the B1 and B6 and Folate which is another B vit, B9 I believe.  He suggested to take the Complex  3 times a week instead of  7.

I have to put in a call and see what he suggests for the Vit K , if he wants me to supplement it ?

and to ask about the others he didn`t  mention?

I think Vit K has to do with clotting and I thought Magnesium has to do with bones? I never researched these as they have never been an issue.   

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/28/15 6:38 am

My B12 barely stays around 800 - 1000 and that on weekly B12 injections. Sublingual did not do anything for me, and i used to take up to 5000mcg per day. 

B1, Folate you want it high normal, little bit above normal is not bad as far as i know.

B6 high can be really bad, but it should not cause permanent damage. Your is marinally high. 

Magnesium is great for bones, but.too much may also be not good. May creates imbalances. .We also need other minerals, plus K2.. 

K1 is responsible for clotting, but too low K1 may also indicate low K2. Low K1 - and you may have issues with brusing, slow wound healing,  Oveoverall - high may not be good, low is not good. 

K2 is critical for bone formation

fat soluble vitamins can be toxic, specially if you take syntetic form. (E, A). 

My aim is to have D 50-80 and not higher than that. High D should help calcium,absorbtion, but if too much calcium it's absorbed but not incirporated into bones - then you may end up with calcium deposits somewhere else in your body...like your organs, veins, etc...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 3/28/15 11:38 am - OH

I'm guessing it was your total D that was 148, not your D3.  I personally wouldn't stop all D, I would just cut back some.  My D was 142 last time I had labs done and I just cut back from 50,000 IU three times a week to two times a week.  Please note, before someone starts complaining, that I am not telling you not to follow your doctor's instructions.  I am telling you what I would do.  The reason I would not stop all D for a month is because, according to the research I have done, 148 is not dangerously high for vitamin D and I don't want mine to drop too low.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Katie_Kat
on 3/29/15 1:59 am
RNY on 06/10/13
On March 28, 2015 at 6:38 PM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

I'm guessing it was your total D that was 148, not your D3.  I personally wouldn't stop all D, I would just cut back some.  My D was 142 last time I had labs done and I just cut back from 50,000 IU three times a week to two times a week.  Please note, before someone starts complaining, that I am not telling you not to follow your doctor's instructions.  I am telling you what I would do.  The reason I would not stop all D for a month is because, according to the research I have done, 148 is not dangerously high for vitamin D and I don't want mine to drop too low.

Hi Kelly, thanks for your reply. My D3 was 148, I don`t see a Total D anywhere?? Never have heard of a total D, can`t seem to find it amongst all the lab results.  25 different labs!!        This new PCP ordered very very similiar labs as to Vita lady`s list.     I did ask him why so many , and he only answered that this is what he likes to check.  Okay then I guess it is better then not enough labs?? 

Kelly, I always appreciate your replies, And YES , I do understand that you are only stating what you would do.

Kelly, other then my D, if the other labs were yours, would you be concerned?    

Personally other them my D3, I am not overly concerned with the other labs, the Magnesium , the K and E are so marginally over and under, the B 1 and B6 , well , honestly I had planned on not taking anymore B complex after this last bottle, so without the extra supplement, I will hope these B levels go down.   So in 6 months I will have these few labs retested and go from there.

My Iron and Ferritin were in a good range, hoping they will climb alittle  higher as I continue to take 300 mgs of Carbonly Iron along with Vit C.   Calcium and Protein were in the good range.....All the others, that I have yet to discover what they even do in our bodies, such as prealbumin, bilrubin, PTH, etc etc. were all good.

One thing I am not quite sure of of though , alot of us like to have certain labs towards the higher range level, such as Iron,  Ferritin, D3.....but I don`t know how important labs such as Preabulmin, Bilrubin, PTH , these odd names labs, I don`t know if we should strive for higher ranges or if theses are something in our control or not?         

were all in the good range.

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

poet_kelly
on 3/29/15 3:12 am - OH

If the test you had done was vitamin D 25 hydroxy (which is what we want, not the vitamin D 1,25 dihydroxy), it should show a Total D number, then D2 and D3.  The total D is the total of both the D2 and D3.  So if your D2 was 120 and your D3 was 25, your total D would be 145.  It doesn't matter what the D2 or D3 is, what really matters is the total D.

Anyway.  If you check out what the vitamin D council and the Linus Pauling Institute say about vitamin D toxicity, they suggest we don't need to worry until it's at least 200, probably higher.  but there is no evidence we need our D to be over 100 or so, so my thinking is, why take more than I need, even if it's not dangerous?  I prefer to take as few pills as possible, plus I don't want to waste money.  So if my D was 148 and I'd been taking 50,000 IU once a week, I'd probably take that every ten days instead.  Or maybe take it once a week for three weeks, then skip a week.  Something like that.  There is not a real science to figuring out how much to take, it's more trial and error.

Prealbumin has to do with protein and we like that to be on the high side.

PTH is parathyroid hormone, and we actually like that to be on the low side.  The reason is that when it's high, that often suggest we are leaching calcium out of our bones.  If your PTH is high, your vitamin D will often be low, and it often means you aren't getting enough calcium.  The calcium level in your blood doesn't tell you if you're taking enough calcium or not, because if you don't take enough, your body leaches it out of your bones to keep the level in your blood good.  That's because if you don't have enough calcium in your blood, your muscles don't contract properly, and your heart is a muscle and if it can't contract (as in beat), you die.  Your body figures a beating heart is more important than bones.

This site is a good one to learn more about specific blood tests: http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/pth/tab/tes t/

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Katie_Kat
on 3/29/15 7:16 am
RNY on 06/10/13
On March 29, 2015 at 10:12 AM Pacific Time, poet_kelly wrote:

If the test you had done was vitamin D 25 hydroxy (which is what we want, not the vitamin D 1,25 dihydroxy), it should show a Total D number, then D2 and D3.  The total D is the total of both the D2 and D3.  So if your D2 was 120 and your D3 was 25, your total D would be 145.  It doesn't matter what the D2 or D3 is, what really matters is the total D.

Anyway.  If you check out what the vitamin D council and the Linus Pauling Institute say about vitamin D toxicity, they suggest we don't need to worry until it's at least 200, probably higher.  but there is no evidence we need our D to be over 100 or so, so my thinking is, why take more than I need, even if it's not dangerous?  I prefer to take as few pills as possible, plus I don't want to waste money.  So if my D was 148 and I'd been taking 50,000 IU once a week, I'd probably take that every ten days instead.  Or maybe take it once a week for three weeks, then skip a week.  Something like that.  There is not a real science to figuring out how much to take, it's more trial and error.

Prealbumin has to do with protein and we like that to be on the high side.

PTH is parathyroid hormone, and we actually like that to be on the low side.  The reason is that when it's high, that often suggest we are leaching calcium out of our bones.  If your PTH is high, your vitamin D will often be low, and it often means you aren't getting enough calcium.  The calcium level in your blood doesn't tell you if you're taking enough calcium or not, because if you don't take enough, your body leaches it out of your bones to keep the level in your blood good.  That's because if you don't have enough calcium in your blood, your muscles don't contract properly, and your heart is a muscle and if it can't contract (as in beat), you die.  Your body figures a beating heart is more important than bones.

This site is a good one to learn more about specific blood tests: http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/pth/tab/tes t/

Hello Kelly, my lab slip for the D3 only says  Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy  and Dx code.

Result came back as 148 and slip says (Specimen was diluted to obtain results . Results were repeated.)

Now am curiuous as to why I do not see a D2 , actually have never seen it on any of my results for D3 in previous years. 

Prealbumin came back as 23 , range for my lab says 20-40  , is this something that we can control ?

PTH came back as 18 and slip says 15-65.

Calcium came back as 9.5        , slip says 8.4 -10.8

and Protein Total  is at 6.6 , slip says  6.0-8.0, is this my protein intake whether shakes or food?    Wouldn`t I want that higher?

Ast is 22 , high range says 43, Alt is 27, high range says 39, these 2 we like to be low ? Last year they were each quite a bit lower.

Thanks for the link and I added to my favorites the Linus Paul Institute Website, loads of info I found there.     

Curuous question , bit silly actually, I have wondered why the B vitamins which say there are 8 of themm why they call some by the name such as Folate which is B9 I believe and others by the number such as B1, B6, B12, and also why they skipped numbers and went to 12 as in B12, if 8 B1s, why not b1, b2, and so on ...just a silly why question.      Oh and do oyu know why B12 and Folate are for me anyways are grouped together, even written on my lab slip together , instead if 2 slips , they are always lumped together, there must be an importance between B12 and Folate ?

WHat ever opinion or suggestion you would make for your own health, I take from it, and I do my own research, and I ask my PCP, and sometimes I agree with him and sometimes we meet in the middle, but I love hearing what you would do in the same situation.        Sometimes I would never have thought of the idea, so therefore I could not present it to my PCP.   

Good example was when I needed to up my Iron and my Dr, had me take 325 mg of Ferrous Sulfate 3 times daily.....oh it upset my stomach alot,     I posted this and you mentioned carbonyl Iron, I did not change to carbonyl iron on my own , I asked my Dr. about it, and explained what I knew about the differences in the 2 Irons and he agreed , to the carbonyl Iron. So I welcome suggestions, which are only that , suggestions.    Thank you Kelly for all you do.     

Katherine     

RNY 6/2013

S/W  256

C/W  126

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 295 views
What's on your Monday Menu?