Caffeine

Insightrn
on 3/29/15 11:48 am

Ok, so what is the deal with RnY and caffeine? I am not a caffeine junkie by any means but I love my cup of coffee in the morning and occasionally in the evening. I also LOVE Starbucks and had switched to skinny lattes rather than my white chocolate mocha standby. I have gone to SF/FF creamer and I found a recipe for a cold coffee "latte" that uses protein powder and PB2. I figured I would be good to go but my post-op instructions say NO Caffeine. I totally lost it on the dietician as she was going lover post-op instructions on Friday with me and was bawling my eyes out. Is this just initially or forever?

Doingrightin2015
on 3/29/15 8:24 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

I a just going on 3 weeks post-op. So, I am not allowed caffeine right now either. I think my paperwork said no caffeine for 2 months and no carbonation drinks for 4-6 months and no alcohol for 6 months. I need to look at that again. Like you I love my coffee in the morning. I can handle not having it after that. I have a hard time with the decaf stuff...just taste nasty. I have gotten some flavored decaf's that I can handle....but it still is not the same. I can't wait to get my caffeine again.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

NinaCanDOit
on 3/29/15 9:35 pm
RNY on 06/27/14

My plan has no caffeine for a year after surgery - so I'm still off caffeine.  I had pretty much been a decaf person already, so I haven't really seen a difference.  At home I drink decaf iced tea and coffee - and I love starbucks too!   The good thing about starbucks is that they can make any hand made coffee drink decaf (the only things you can't really get decaf are premade - like the iced coffee, black & green teas), so I never really feel it as a restriction. 

Even after my year is up I plan on staying with decaf.

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

cspotrun
on 3/29/15 9:54 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I think this may be an area where the plans are all different.  My plan has no caffeine restriction.  In fact coffee was served to me in the hospital, and it wasn't decaf.  Since I'm not a coffee drinker, but was addicted to Diet Mountain Dew, I am completely off caffeine because soda is not at all good for me.  And the 2 times I took a sip or 2, it was extremely uncomfortable, so it's easy to stay away.

Karen   

rocky513
on 3/29/15 10:35 pm - WI

I was given regular coffee the day after my surgery while still in the hospital.  I've never had a caffeine restriction.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

NadiaM
on 3/29/15 11:07 pm, edited 3/29/15 11:07 pm

I drink 3-4 cups of coffee a day without any side affects. If I find myself having a large or extra large during the day, I'll have a decaf at night. Always use either stevia or Splenda and unsweetened almond milk. NO CREAMER as that's just unnecessary added calories. 

Also so be careful with all those "skinny" fraps/lattes at Starbucks. They're still full of sugar and carbs. 

SkinnyScientist
on 3/29/15 11:19 pm

I hate to get off caffeine...but then was allowed to get on it.

I dont know if it was getting off and then getting back on or the RNY..but post op, when I had caffeine, it was like speed or something. I could literally feel it "rev me up" and get absorbed.

Not anymore though. :(  So now I got to find something mroe thrilling.

I think the reason why they take us off caffeine (and this is just my guess) is that it is a diruetic. We already have issues early one with the amounts of water to drink SLOWLY (i.e. by sippling). Can you imagine drinking increments of water and then hitting a diruetic and peeing it all away?

Also..it can increase blood pressure and heart rate.

Just my two cents

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

karenp8
on 3/29/15 11:43 pm - Brighton, IL

Every surgeon is different here too. I am allowed 14 ounces of caffinated beverages in a day but have found lots of flavored decaf coffees and teas that I like,so I can enjoy warm beverages.

shackleford
on 3/30/15 2:46 am

I was told caffeine was to be avoided during the beginning because it is a diuretic and can dehydrate you.  I've had coffee post op but I ensure I get my water in for the day just to be safe.  I've had no side effects.

Emiepie
on 3/30/15 3:19 am
RNY on 08/11/14

My center has no caffeine for the first few months, they are concerned with dehydration and caffeine is considered a diuretic. I am also never supposed to add back in soda though. I love my lattes though :)

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 771 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 374 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 501 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 162 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 276 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?