when does the pain go away?

khunton
on 3/28/15 6:43 am

I had RNY gastric bypass on Monday march 23, have been home from the hospital 2 days now and the pain is still awful. I hate sleeping on my back and cant sleep on my sides and tummy obviously and have been sleeping in a recliner since being home. Also while showering today i made it about half way through my shampoo before the intense pain came. I even took a fold up chair in the shower so I could sit and try to be comfortable. Im just wondering if anyone else struggled this much with pain? 

thanks for any advice!

t_mina
on 3/28/15 8:11 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 02/04/15

It was several days after I got home from the hospital before I was able to quit taking the pain medication. I would even have to take a dose in the middle of the night when it wore off so I could continue sleeping.  I didn't sleep on my side or stomach for at least a week - I hated it too!  Finally I was able to partially side sleep using pillow support.  But a lot of my pain was associated with a back spasm I had during surgery and the gas from the surgery.  Once those resolved I felt a lot better.  The surgery itself wasn't quite as painful for me.  It does improve!  I hope you're feeling better soon!

Maria27
on 3/28/15 9:35 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Yes, I had a lot of pain at first, but it was much better by a week out. I went through most of the bottle of narcotics before I felt good enough to stop taking them. I was taking them in the middle of the night too. But I was feeling pretty good by day eight. I still am not sleeping on my stomach, but I can sleep on my side alright. A pillow for support really helps. I sometimes feel discomfort or pulling at one of my incisions and I can't put pressure on my stomach or twist too much. But otherwise I don't feel pain anymore. It gets better quickly. Hang in there.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

khunton
on 3/28/15 9:56 am

thanks for the tips and tricks! I haven't really slept at all since before my surgery, im desperate and will try anything!

Maria27
on 3/28/15 10:23 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Are you taking new medications? I wasn't able to sleep after surgery at all until my surgical team realized I was having a reaction to Zofran. Once they took me off it, I started sleeping. I did not experience any other side effects from it. Even with pain and discomfort you should be getting some sleep. 

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

helionoftroy
on 3/28/15 11:07 am - Lexington, SC
RNY on 03/23/15

My surgery was also on Monday. I was doing great in the hospital not too much pain until Wednesday. I couldn't believe instead of getting better I started getting worse. It was horrible pain. My nurse asked me if I was drinking ice cold water. One of the aids had filled my water container with ice water so I had been. Apparently iced beverages made my stomach cramp up real bad and made my entire body and muscles hurt. No more iced anything for me. Something that may be affecting you as well?

khunton
on 3/28/15 1:43 pm

I really think not getting good sleep is just due to not being able to get comfortable. I'm gonna try the pillows tonight with me and see how it works. I'll reply back in the morning with an update.

big thanks to everyone *****plied!

MickeyDee
on 3/28/15 5:39 pm

My surgeon sent me home with Lortab, codiene with tylenol liquid.  If you're not taking something for pain, then do so.  You don't get any big gold stars for suffering and being alligator-rough-and-tough.  If you don't have pain meds, call your doctor and get some.  I only had to use mine for two or three days in order to sleep at night, and I did a lot of time in my recliner.

Poodlemac
on 3/28/15 2:38 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

Are you walking?  It really helps move the gas from the surgery and that's usually what causes the most pain. Be sure to walk every hour or two, adding distance each time. It's imperative for your healing!

mute
on 3/28/15 4:19 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Hi to some of my surgery date people! I hate sleeping on my back and tried to do the pillow support thing tonight but no luck :(

i have one section that is still painful on the left side that strains whenever I use my abdominal muscles to get up or sit down or anything really. My pain isn't constant but it hurts badly and is worse the more I do. Will be asking my surgeon about it on Tuesday  

Ive been walking laps in my house because it's freezing outside here!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 529 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 461 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 341 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 124 views