My New Normal

Ladytazz
on 3/29/15 11:43 am

The other day my boyfriend and daughter and I went out to eat.  We go out to eat every week.  This time we went to Applebee's and I ordered what I usually do there, a small steak with veggies and a baked potato.

I ate some steak, had a few bites of the grilled veggies and a few bites of the potato.  Then I asked for a box and took home the rest of the steak, about half of it.

As we got in the car it hit me that that was my routine going out.  I don't even think about it any more.  I just do it.

The first few years were such an adjustment.  After a lifetime of eating until stuffed and never bringing home leftovers, now it's just a forgone conclusion that I'll have at least one other meal out of that order.

I don't give much thought to my shopping, either.  I've gotten into a routine.  I am pretty much a person who eats the same for breakfast and lunch and the same kind of meal at dinner, protein and veggies.  So I buy pretty much the same things at the store every week.

It is now my new normal.  I'm not saying I couldn't go back to the way I was.  I know from past history that no matter how long I stick with this, falling back into old habits is possible and I don't take things for granted.  I stay aware of my thinking when I walk by donuts at work, like I did today, that one WILL hurt me.  Not because I will break out in fat if I eat one donut but because I will going down a slippery sloop that I have been down before, one that always winds up with me eating whatever I want, whenever I want, in whatever amount I want, maybe not right away but over time I stop being conscientious of my eating and tell myself that I will get back on track tomorrow.

So, I never let myself forget who I am and where I came from and I don't fool myself into thinking that I could never be that way again.  I am just one bad decision away from going back to where I came from.

Of course that doesn't mean I eat perfectly and of course I have eaten things that I know I "shouldn't" but I check myself often and evaluate my choices and allow myself to be imperfect but I don't let myself use that as an excuse to not continue to do the things that have worked for me.  I use those times that I may have made poorer choices as a learning experience and not a way back to where I made bad choices as a way of life. 

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

seattledeb
on 3/29/15 1:17 pm

I get a to go box or I bring my teenage son. I too eat the same things over and over. For me it makes life easier.

My favorite thing to eat right now is plain boiled shrimp. Protein powerhouse those little guys are!

Deb T.

SkinnyScientist
on 3/29/15 11:16 pm

Same here..but restaurants absolutely panic that I dont like their food.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

catalina07
on 4/1/15 7:08 am - NY
Revision on 11/20/14

I sometimes find it funny, sometimes embaressing. The wait staff always comes by and asks me is everything ok? usually at least twice. lol

Revision: Band to Bypass - 11/20/14

Lap Band - 7/30/07 

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/15 12:09 am

That is so true about the slippery slope. I will say I like to grocery shop. I do change things up. But I still buy most of the same things for a few weeks at time. Like you said about meat and veggies. I try not to over-buy things. I hate to throw things away.

I like to be able to figure everything out before I eat it. My daughter laughs at me when I take out my fitness pal and check out what apple has the lowest carbs. I usually have my husband eat half of it though.

We do go out often usually to places I know what the menu is. If we go someplace new I look it up online before we leave so I am not tempted to let it all go out the window when I get there. I try to always get steak with a veggie or lobster.

Thank you for sharing this with us. 

Patm
on 3/30/15 3:51 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I think this is really important. Many people need to know that the first year or so is about getting into a routine. Yes we have the occasional change but the new routine should be healthy. Thanks for sharing

Grim_Traveller
on 3/30/15 4:12 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Words to live by Tazz. Literally. Thanks for sharing.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Needanewbeginning
on 3/30/15 4:22 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Excellent post Tazz, thank you for sharing.

Annette 

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

jenorama
on 3/31/15 4:18 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I am almost 18 months out and I'm finding my new normal as well.  Like you, I box up food and eat on the leftovers for a couple of days.  I try and order things that will be good leftovers!  :D

I was out of town for a long weekend and eating a bit away from my normal and indulging in more carbs than is usual for me.  We got back yesterday and went out for lunch where I ordered a bunless burger with avocado and cottage cheese.  I didn't even think about it until the waiter came and set my plate down and said, "And here's the no-carb side!" and I was like, Oh, yeah I guess so!  I realized that I was just tired of all the extra carbs and was wanting straight protein.  

Like you, I will need to be vigilant for the rest of my life and conscious of slipping into old habits.  I am finding that baked goods and sweets just don't have the attraction for me anymore, partly due to the fact that I just don't feel great after eating them.  I don't dump, but I feel kind of bleh and my stomach makes a lot of noise.  At the airport Starbucks I'm looking at the pastry counter and there's the giant cheese danish which past me would have snarfed up in a second, but current me looks at and just thinks, "Ugh".

I am far from perfect and I'm still working towards weight loss, but I feel that I am internalizing new habits as I work my way to my new normal.  :D

Jen

siberiancat
on 4/1/15 2:27 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Great post.  I also find myself eating pretty much the same thing every day.  I'm OK with that.  At 6 yrs post RNY I know what makes me vomit, nauseated, constipated, etc.

Since I eat a limited menu - I've gotten picky about the quality of my food and choose organic when possible.  I eat fresh veggies and fruit and have organic - grass fed, non GMO etc. so I'm getting the best nutrition to fuel my body.

I'm gluten free and have Reactive Hypoglycemia and those restrict my diet even more.  I don't eat out often (and no fast food) because so much of it is prepared from frozen or boxes and has toxic chemicals, preservatives and extra sugar and salt added.

I feel so much better and my health is good.  I've learned to think differently about the role of food in my life and while necessary it just isn't as important to me anymore.

I, too, realize I must keep being "aware and mindful" of my food choices and I know I could slide backwards easily if I let my guard down.  I never want to be morbidly obese again.  I do weigh myself daily so I can notice trends and take action.  I know from my past that not weighing myself is a way I deny any changes and make bad food choices, in other words "denial."

Again, thanks for your wise words.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 377 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 469 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?