4 months out...hair falling out...

sqlchick19
on 4/17/15 5:29 am
RNY on 12/15/14

I knew it would happen.  I've lost nearly 75 lbs in 4 months.  I've been proactively taking biotin and B Complex (so much that I was told to cut down on the B because it came back too high in my blood tests).  My proteins also came back super low...

So I know the whole hair loss thing is somewhat normal.  My question is...does it ever grow back?  If so...when?

i don't look bald yet...just a much thinner pony tail.  But it doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon...

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

rocky513
on 4/17/15 6:40 am - WI

There is nothing you can do to stop the hair loss.  it is a direct result from the anesthesia they used in surgery.  It usually starts at 3-4 months and ends at 8-9 months.  Your hair will grow back.  I lost about half my hair and by 1 year out from surgery it was just as thick as ever.  

Biotin will not prevent hair loss, but it may help when the hair starts growing back. Be careful how much you take.  Biotin has been known to cause facial hair in women.  

Protein is super important in keeping your hair healthy.  try to get at least 80 grams daily.   Also, if your hair feels dry and brittle, try adding in some healthy fats back to your diet like avocados or almonds.

Many people feel more comfortable with the hair loss if they get e shorter hair cut.  A "new do" can make you feel great.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

rocky513
on 4/17/15 8:13 am - WI

Great Article that tells you why hair loss happens with surgery or any shock to the body.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

pammiv
on 4/17/15 7:31 am

So I have had 3 surgeries in the past 4 years and never had the hair loss.  I am in month 4 from RNY and my hair is falling out so rapidly it scares me.  A shower produces enough hair to clog the drain at the end - no kidding.  I was told by my doc it is because my body is adjusting to the loss of nutrients.  Your body will take what it gets and use it for major bodily functions and hair is not one of them.  He did say it last between 6-9 months but yes it does grow back.  He said at the end of a year, your body will adjust itself in most areas and to remain calm.  I trusted him to operate on me so I will trust him with the hair loss. 

RNY December 17, 2014 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

NinaCanDOit
on 4/17/15 10:05 am
RNY on 06/27/14

I lost A LOT of hair between 4 and 6 months out.  I anticipated it happening so I cut my hair short so I wouldn't have to deal with tons of long hair in the shower (eeek!) - but it still happened, just with my little short hairs.  I have a lot of hair, but its really fine, so I was really worried that it would be noticeable; but no you couldn't tell. 

I've kept it short as the regrowth is coming out in all directions (my halo is hilarious).  Honestly, I'm just really glad it's all coming back.

HW - 392 * CW - 200 * * * Lost - 192, To Goal - 40

"almost there,...keep going,...stay focused,...eyes on the prize" - the guy at my gym

burghblonde
on 4/17/15 12:06 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

Happens because of the trauma to your body, or rapid change. I had large amounts of hair loss which began right around 4 months and lasted up until about 7 months.  Luckily I had very thick hair. My stylist says it didn't really thin but that the texture changed. No worries though! It does not last forever.

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

Zarny
on 4/18/15 8:02 am - Twin Lakes, WI

I will tell You this.....and it happens to allot of ppl, I am and alcoholic now.  I love My beer. It upsets My kids, and I found out that I have bi-polar issues.  I am now 60 years old.  Many ppl end up drinking allot. They hook up to new habits.  Not good habits.  Yes, you are correct, its a matter of what you want to achieve, and it's all about self control.

I had plastics, I am not thrilled with what they did to me, but....they did remove allot of body fat.   I do not have insurance to pay for the rest of My plastics, plus, I am 60 years old now, why should I care if I had a perfect body.

When I had my surgery, I knew I needed tons of protein, I would eat steak and just chew it, to get the juices out of it for the protein, and I would spit the meat back out.

I ate tons of cheese etc, anything with protein, but now, I can function with most foods, but I do know that there are certain things I cannot eat.  Sugar of course gives me diahhrea, and certain gassy veggies, give me stinky gas.  When I go to any gathering, I refuse to eat, coz I am going to embarrass myself with the gas issue, so I don't eat.

I am not 148 pounds.  But, I still feel healthy.  I am Praying for My son who just had his surgery this last Monday.

Nice to hear back from You. I have not been on this site for years.  When I decided to have the surgery, I spent months on obesityhelp.com talking to other patients and doctors.

I have several friends that had it done, and either failed or died.

I am grateful that I am still alive.

Regards,

Missy

My contact on the site is zarny....I have daily postings on there, plus pictures.

best wishes to you.

Zarny
on 4/18/15 8:05 am - Twin Lakes, WI

Sorry, meant to say I AM at 148 pounds.

iloveravens
on 4/18/15 1:15 am
RNY on 08/13/14

The worst for me was months 3-5.  What I realized was how much hair I really had...LOL.  It stopped around month 6 thank goodness.  Hang in there...xoxo

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

SkinnyScientist
on 4/18/15 8:37 am

I wish there was a like button for this...

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 327 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 367 views