HELP, scared, disappointed, plain just freaking out!

brandycain
on 4/18/15 3:19 pm

I don't know what is wrong.   I am only 11 days out from my surgery and im terrified it didn't work.  I have a lot of weight to lose and have struggled for years with many health issues.  I have read so much information about how my body will work and feel after the surgery.  My surgery went great according to my Dr.  I seen how it worked through a swallow test and it looked just right. 

I don't have the full feeling, im always hungry, I don't feel sick to my stomach, and I can eat more than I should be able to.  I have not had a bowel movement in 4 days.  

So, I started some more dense foods.  Mostly to show myself that , "Yes, I'll get full from just a few bites, Yes I'll get sick, No, I can't eat too much."  But I was fine.  No problems at all.  I didn't eat like crazy, or nearly what I would before.  But I can eat 8 to 10oz and not feel full.  I stop myself and do feel satisfied For a couple hours.  I can drink my protein drinks quickly and easil.   I can swallow 3 pills at a time.  I drink my water with big drinks with No problem.

Tonight I ate a small amount of pork roast, about a fourth of a potatoes and about a fourth of a cucumber and felt fine.  Still hungry, but satisfied.  I'm afraid to call my Dr because I ate before I was supposed to. I know I should still be eating soft food.   

On the plus side, I'm off my oxygen,  I don't need my Diabetes meds and only had to use insulin three times.  I feel great.  No pain,  nothing.  I worked so hard for this.  I had to complete a 6 month program and I have changed so many things in my Life.

I'm so scared for this not to work.  Please, anyone with ideas or advise.  Anyone not have it work?  

mornings
on 4/18/15 3:49 pm - Canada

I think you just need to relax ,  re read all the info your health care team given you ,    if you think your eating too much then do the 30 min thing ,   eat small amount then stop wait 30 mins to see if that hunger passes , and try to stay away from carbs ,  especially potatoes im kinda shocked they allowed you to eat that    ,,, most important if your feeling its wrong then  speak to your dietitian   tell her your feelings and what you ate im sure she will keep you on the right track ,  don't  stress so much over   if it will work of course its gonna work if you work with your  surgery  you will be ok  remember protein always first and chew slowly ,   drink your fluids as well   take care and pamper your new stomach 

brandycain
on 4/19/15 2:40 am

Thank you soo much for the kind advise.  I will do all that. 

-Brandy- 

Surgery April 7th 2015.

Ashley in Belgium
on 4/18/15 4:48 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Your nerves were cut during the surgery.  You can't feel if you are full or not until they heal.  You may never feel full again like the way you did pre-op.  Give yourself a chance to heal properly.  Follow your plan to the letter and ask your surgeon's office for help/clarification if you are unsure about something.  Stay positive.  It works!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

brandycain
on 4/19/15 2:40 am

Thank you so much.

-Brandy- 

Surgery April 7th 2015.

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/15 2:55 am

I will ditto this advice Brandy .  I too kept eating after surgery and may have done myself a disservice as a result ( I still eat a lot more at every meal years post op than most RNY ers) .

Stick to your prescribed diet as rigorously as possible and make OA meetings ( there are meetings online every three hours starting at 6 AM) and post here is my best advice to help you in putting down the food addiction.  If you don't put it down -and find a way to stay emotionally stable without ingesting a substance thats not good for you  you may well end up switching to alcohol .  I did that temporarily and the results were embarrassing to say the least . Post op Willfulness is NOT a good thing ! 

A fellow rebel 

Ashley in Belgium
on 4/22/15 3:39 am, edited 4/22/15 3:39 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

You might want to re-post this to the OP as it was intended for her and I'm sure she'd appreciate your support.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

White Dove
on 4/18/15 9:35 pm - Warren, OH

There are people who eat solid food too soon, rupture their stitches and staples and end up back in surgery or dead.

You get to decide how much you want to gamble.  There are many people who mess up th their surgery by out eating it.  You have a tool to help you control your eating.  You can use your honeymoon time to learn to eat properly and get to goal.  Or you can waste this time.

They may not be on this board but sure there are many failures.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

lucky2brh-yahoo.com
on 4/22/15 1:06 am - Wilmington, NC
RNY on 07/01/14

Well said, White Dove

Chilipepper
on 4/18/15 10:14 pm, edited 4/18/15 10:33 pm

Wow just wow!  Pork roast, potatoes and 1/4 of a cucumber at 11 days out.  Did you read or learn nothing preop? You have a very delicate suture line all along the newly reconstructed pouch. All the nerves have been cut and you won't feel full.  People have died blowing out that staple line. That is why they gradually reintroduce foods to their diet. You were given a very small 3 oz stomach that is still swollen and you are packing in 8-10 oz just to try it out?? Why would you think it wouldn't work?  Your body is healing.  This is serious. You need to call your doctor and tell them what you did. You are risking your life and his reputation. You also need some guidance from your dietician as to portion sizes and understanding what carbs are. 

I am not being mean. I am being honest. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics