Struggling...... RNY 11/17/2014

Browneyedgirl33
on 4/24/15 11:38 am

When I first had my surgery I had a lot of problems.  Which ended up to  be a stricture.  I was sick all the time and could hardly eat anything.  That went on for the first few months until they found I had the stricture.  Then I had to go get a procedure done to stretch out my stomach.  Unfortunately the first time didn't work but I had it done again about a month after that it kicked in and now I can eat.  The problem is that carb foods go down easier then protein.  So I find myself eating more carb dense foods then eating the protein.  I get all my protein in but I am going above my 90 carbs a day.  Since I have only been able to really eat for the last 3 weeks since all of my procedures I think that is why I am trying different things.

I have lost only 62 lbs which the doctor said if I would have been able to eat more in the beginning I would have lost more.  However for 5 1/2 months I cant really complain.  Definitely a lot more then I would have lost on my own.  I know I really need to hammer down and get back to just all protein and only a few carbs but I am really struggling with that lately.  To top it all off I will be starting a new job and moving so that on top of everything isn't helping me.

Another thing is now that I had the last stricture procedure I feel hungry all the time.  I feel like I can eat more then I should be eating and I often find myself grazing which is a bad habit to get into.  Hopefully I can start tomorrow new and try hard to stick to it.  I know why I did this and it is important to me.  But I guess I thought it would be easier to deal with after surgery.  As everyone says it is a mind game more then anything else. 

I hope to start running again when I move and get settled.  Please remember me in your thoughts and prayers.  I did this surgery for my health to be there for my girls and teach them the right way to be healthy so I definitely don't want to not try my hardest and be successful and stay successful.

NYMom222
on 4/24/15 2:00 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am glad you are back on track and no more strictures. You may be getting hungrier because of the carbs you are eating. I do eat starchy carbs occasionally, but I try not to everyday. My Surgeon's mantra is "Protein first, then vegetables and if you have room Fruit then starches." He never says no starches but it is at the end of the list. Try measuring out your food and then stopping. You will figure it out.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

birdiegirl
on 4/24/15 7:58 pm, edited 4/24/15 7:58 pm

Don't allow moving and a new job to give you license to eat improperly!  You have to take responsibility for your eating and put yourself first. 

As the previous poster indicated - carbs beget carbs - they will not fill you up and they will make you hungrier faster.  You might have to white knuckle it for a few days while you get off them - no crackers - bread - rice - potatoes. Ensure you have dense protein choices in your fridge and in your handbag for emergencies

Grazing - is the kiss of death for weight loss surgery.  You really need to nip this in the bud immediately.  Get back to a structure of 3 small meals and 2 - 3 smaller snacks per day if necessary.  Make them protein dense.

Use this time in your wls journey to make the most of your weight loss.  It will get tougher the farther out you are and eventually all the missteps will catch up to you and cause weight gain.  The "magic" ends approx 12 - 24 months out depending on the person.

We all have crap in our lives to deal with - likely one of the reasons we gained in the first place.  Timing is rarely perfect - there always seems to be something to try and De-rail our efforts or play with our emotions.  You have to be stronger and vigilant.

Put yourself and your health on the top of your priority list - this is tough to do especially for women.  But - you must do this. 

Prepare meals in advance and freeze - keep quick protein rich foods on hand for the hungries.  Ask yourself if you want a piece of grilled chicken or cheese and crackers - if its grilled chicken then its not head hunger.  If you want something else then have some water and wait it out.  The feeling will pass.

Grab this opportunity by the neck and don't let go....

Good luck to you

Eggface
on 4/24/15 9:06 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Plan your meals and snacks for the day... then don't eat off that plan.

Giveaway anything you know should not be in your plan... if it's not in the house I doubt you are going to put on a bra, get dressed and drive to get it ;) Make your house a safe zone. 

Prepare for the upcoming change of a new job. Think about what your day is going to look like and make adjustments... when will meal planning/prep/cooking happen... what is the best time of day to exercise (great for overall health but you can't outrun a bad diet)... what will you need to bring with you (emergency protein stash), things like that.

Glad they got your stricture issue resolved. I agree head stuff is the biggest part of this... work on that stuff (therapist, support group, here...) 

Good wishes being sent your way!

~Michelle "Shelly"

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

White Dove
on 4/24/15 10:17 pm - Warren, OH

If you are eating carbs, then your weight loss will slow and you will be hungry.  I gave up all flour, bread, potatoes, rice, cereals, sugar, pastry, pasta, noodles, candies, and desserts.  I have never been hungry since surgery unless I allowed myself to eat those things.  With a high protein, low carb diet I am  never hungry.

Exercise is great but will not result in weight loss.  Eating the right amount of calories is the only way to lose weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

auntmimi
on 4/27/15 2:19 am

I had the same problem with strictures. I had to have 3 dialations. After that I did notice that I could eat "more". The only problem was that I was so use to only being able to eat such small amounts that the "more" seemed terrifying. I think that was one of the hardest things for me to learn. By my own experience I noticed that when I had my strictures that eating proteins was almost difficult so it was easier to eat carbs that turned to mu****s hard, but you really need to concentrate on your proteins. I still struggle everyday with making sure that I am putting my proteins in first. I am sure you are stressed and just want you to understand that there are many of us out there that are in the same battle. Keep your head up and be proud of yourself for the 62 lbs you have lost! I will be praying for you and yours. :)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views
Recent Topics