Gas pain/ not enough walking?

momx3
on 4/25/15 4:11 am

Hi I almost 2 weeks out 4/13 surf Ben walking but not a lot. Today got up. Had a lot of gas. Had a bowel movement sorry tmi

i drank stupid protein shake and severe gas pains came. Called dr. She said try gas x if not better in an hour got to ER. I'm better. I feel like maybe I've been in bed too much. ?? I just really have not felt well. Weak. Etc. but I took gas x helped. Showered woohoo went for a walk out side. Still feeling some in back but original pain was under left breast. I have 8 incisions so a lot of pain. So do you think it's from not enough walking ? I had first yougurt yesterday. And day before first tomato soup. A few ounces. But now I'm afraid to have anything ? Any advice greatly appreciated. My gut says walk more. Too much time in bed but afraid to eat/ drink ... I only trust my ice pops. Scared newbie. Want my life back! Wanted to start driving today but afraid I know a lot of you drive very early on I have not yet I'm a slow healer and a chicken! Please help me... I'm mom of 3 and am desperate to feel normal again. Right now I just feel regret :(

i know in a few months it will be a bad memory but for right now I feel like why??? Did I do this:(

scared...

NYMom222
on 4/25/15 4:21 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes walk more, it doesn't have to be all at once... it can be short spurts throughout the day. The fact that you are still so tired at 2 weeks out makes me wonder how much fluids and protein you are getting in. Dehydration will make you feel like crap.... You need your protein to heal as well. My surgeon allowed us 2 protein shakes in the beginning if we needed and then when we could start getting down food, back it off to one. The Premier are nice because they are a thin liquid and easier to get down, 2 of those a day is 22 oz and 60g protein. tea, chicken broth... it all counts at this point if you are having a hard time stomaching the water.

Yes, you will get past this, the beginning is rough and you are right it will be a distant memory.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/25/15 5:25 am - OH

Yes, you need to be walking more.  You should be up and walking at least a little (even just 10 minutes, and even if you do it slowly) every 2-3 hours.  Not only will it help with the gas, but it will also help prevent a blood clot (which can be life threatening if it travels and will land you back in the hospital and can cause permanent circulatory damage).

If the yogurt and tomato soup went down ok, and the protein shake did not, then -- for now -- stick to the things that don't make you sick.

You said "Too much time in bed but afraid to eat/drink". Those two things are NOT related.  Regardless of what you eat or drink, you MUST get up and move.  Keep in mind that not drinking enough can cause dehydration which can result in nausea and weakness.  So it can be a vicious cycle.  Severe dehydration can also land you back in the hospital (where they will likely force you to walk every couple of hours).

yes, it will get better, but it will get better much faster if you move and drink enough.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

momx3
on 4/25/15 5:38 am

Thanks   Will heed advice. I think I drink enough I pee a lot. And feel like I'm constantly drinking. Tea ( chamomile**** pops. Water. So I am up but am trying harder to stay up just sit after meals. Thanks for all info 

CGCL
on 4/25/15 6:44 am
RNY on 02/19/15

Check your temperature. You sound like me; I was really weak and had a fever.

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

99-DS
on 4/25/15 12:08 pm
RNY on 04/09/15

Hi.  I had my RNY on 4/9/15 and had 3 bouts of icky before I went full on protein.  I'm not sure what triggered my first "event" (dry heaving and feeling horrible at 2am), but the next two I'm pretty sure I understand.  The second time I had 2oz of homemade butternut squash soup (no sugar added)...I was in puree phase.  I was sick as a dog for 5...yes 5hrs.  The next morning I decided to use Unjury protein recommended by my doctor's office (3g sugar).  I mixed it with lactose free milk and downed 2oz (not tasting good) before I got sick again.  So I started to panic and called the doctor's office.  I know everyone is different, but I was surprised about what made me sick.  I was told the butternut squash soup was probably too fiberous for my new pouch and that I may have lactose intolerance and sugar intolerance right now....sheez, 3g of sugar make me sick?  So...I went solid protein.  I'm in the next phase now of soft foods, so I do canned crab (tiny pieces), canned tiny shrimp, canned salmon, canned tuna, chicken (well chewed), eggs.  Guess what...haven't been sick since.  I also tried a little light string cheese (well chewed) and it "sat" well.  I find I have an aversion to the Premier Protein shakes (SO sweet to me at the moment), but I am forcing one down in the morning because I am struggling to get my protein and liquids in (Premier Protein shakes are 110z liquid and 30g protein...so I use it as "medicine").  I also am trying out multiple flavors of Isopure clear protein drinks which are MUCH more appealing.  They also count as liquid (20oz per bottle) and have 40g protein.  Hard to get it all down...takes me all day, but at least it goes down ok and doesn't make me sick.  Only thing...kinda pricey.  But since I'm barely eating anything right now, I'm willing to pay the $45 for case of 12 (GNC or VitaminShoppe) to try to avoid dehydration and malnutrition.  I was told to stay away from acidic (tomato soup, V8) for now since they can be tough on the pouchie.  Definitely try to walk.  Right now I'm still a little slow and I'm dealing with energy sapping exhaustion that causes me to nap (I'm not a napper), but I was told to listen to my body.  If I do a longer walk then I can almost guarantee that I will be pooped later, but I'm still doing the walk knowing it is a BIG deal in this process.  Plus, I feel better doing it already since I'm down 30lbs in 3 weeks.  

I agree, this whole thing is a bit scary, but we made this decision for whatever our personal reasons were and that means that we are strong enough to do this!  It's going to be tough...I figured that out for sure, but I have told myself to remember all of the pain I have endured being overweight the majority of my life.  I remember that working out was becoming almost impossible before the surgery and I can already move better 2 weeks post-op...amazing.  And I remember the pain of the surgery and tell myself that I dedicated myself to this process before I ever went under the knife.  We have what we need now....let's make it happen!

TheBee
on 4/26/15 10:04 am
RNY on 04/20/15

Encouraging words, as another newbie, I appreciate them!

caliannie
on 4/27/15 3:23 pm - CA
RNY on 04/14/15

I'm about a week behind you and just moved to pureed. I agree with you on the Premier Protein shakes. They were ok the first week but now waayy to sweet so is the Isopure. I'm battling trying to get enough fluids. That's my focus during the day. Crystal Light in my water seems to help but I really just want to gulp a couple of swallows  but I already figured out when I swallow to quickly or too much it's not a nice feeling. Had GERD before surgery and while it has lessened it hasn't gone away which makes it difficult to want to drink. I'm going to take the Premier Protein shakes and freeze them in ice cube trays to use in smoothies later on. I figure that would be the best way to not waste them. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Carpe Diem!

Height: 5'5"  HW: 237 SW: 237 CW:138 GW: 134   M1: -31  M2: -14  M3:-12  M4: -10  M5: -10  M6: -5 M7: -4 M8: -5 M9: -5 M10: -2 M11: M12: -1

99-DS
on 4/27/15 10:55 pm
RNY on 04/09/15

I suggest you wait a little while.  I bought a few cases of the Premier Protein shakes to be "ready" after surgery.  When I found them to be too sweet, I started giving them away to friends.  Guess what?  Your tastes do keep changing.  Because I am having so much trouble getting in the protein and water, I started forcing a protein shake down each morning.  My least favorite (chocolate) is now my favorite and it tastes better each day (not as horrible to drink)...I wish I hadn't given so many away!  I also did the variety pack of the Isopure and find most of them pretty sweet and icky.  My favorite is the Icy Orange which seems the most mild to me right now.  I'm watering down the others in order to get a combo of water and protein.  (You start getting creative!).  I'll be 3 full weeks into the process this Thursday.  I totally agree with the water thing.  I'm NOT a fan, but now I DO get thirsty and would love to chug to relieve the thirst and also get my water in....I can't gulp either.  I didn't have GERD, but it just kind of hurts to take a big swallow.  So I just keep trying and know I have to figure that piece out.  Drinking also gets a little easier as time goes by and don't forget that your protein shakes/Isopure also count towards your water intake.

My current thing is that I lost 30lbs from my 1 week pre-op liquid diet (4/2****il 4/23 and haven't lost anything in 5 days.  I'm telling myself not to panic since I KNOW I am following the program even though I'm still struggling with water/protein numbers.  I use a FitBit and track my food, water, exercise, etc....great tool.  Every day I get a little more water/protein in and hope that I can reach the right numbers in another week.  I may up the protein shake to 2 a day now that I can tolerate them again.  

I also make sure to walk.  I'm not a maniac, but I know it's really important and have committed to do it. 

Hang in there...I'm sure you are doing really well because you are paying attention and can tell you have a positive attitude.  That's what you need right now.  Remember, we are re-learning a lot.  I also know that I'm going to have to "make" myself do certain things (like drink an icky protein shake) to stay healthy and make this work.  Stay strong, keep working on it....!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 287 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics