Potatoes-I fell off the wagon

SkinnyScientist
on 4/24/15 10:27 pm

Hi Gang,

It is no secret that I struggle with a food addiction (simple carbs) and have a metabolic disorder (PCOS) in which my body responds quickly and negatively to them.  Further, my husband is diabetic and needs some carbs

In the past I have warned against carb creep and my tendency to unwittingly fall into carbs.

This weeks topic: Garnish Carbs

A week or two ago, at Whole Foods winesday the theme was valenica.  There was a wonderful tortilla omeltet where instead of flour tortillas they used thinly sliced potatoes.

"Woo hoo!  A breakfast protein AND a carb for Groomy in the same dish!" I thought. He wasnt there, so I tasted it to make sure it was something that he would like, it was wonderful, and I snagged the receipe.

The next day I oddly found myself craving a strawberry cream cheese sandwich (His breakfast carbs). I ate half of one.

The day after that...I desired crackers so I bought a bag of goldfish crackers from the vending machine and had them for lunch.

The day after that, I wanted pretzels. So back to the vending machine. Dinner that night, I helped myself to his rice (instead of my riced cauliflower)

And the day after that-it was CHEETOS.

At this point I thought "What the hell?" and headed to the gym to weigh myself. I was up 4 lbs (yep, I went from 138.6-142.?.

Guess what I had to spend the NEXT week doing?  Basically a no-carb diet (only vegetables..no fruit and trust me I wanted organges and strawberries like you couldnt believe) and 2 hours at the gym every day (I.e. body pump + philoxing; running 8 miles; cardio kick box + weights).  It really sucked and all the gym time ate into my work.

So be aware of "garnish carbs" hidden in foods. It was ONE small layer. Not much at all compared to the rest of the omlet. More there for texture than anything else. But that damn garnish layer turned into 4 lbs and 5 hours of unnecessary gym time

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Semaenlightened
on 4/24/15 11:25 pm
RNY on 03/25/15

Great advice!!!!

lynnc99
on 4/25/15 1:52 am

Those "little" indulgences can be such a trap! For me last week it was dark (70%) chocolate. 2 squares. Stress eating, you know. And yes, I can make one of those bars last a week, so I've got it under control, no? And a banana for my lunch time "dessert"? Hey, it's a banana. It's potassium. It's fruit. It's ok. 

NO!!!!

2 pounds up after my "treat" for 2 days in a row. Today I had cold shrimp for breakfast! Cutting up my veggies NOW!

SkinnyScientist
on 4/26/15 11:18 pm

Right!  Do you have PCOS too?

What frightens/bugs me is that I am like an alcoholic. I can taste "carbs" no matter how minute and if sends me off the wagon. Once I get it a "taste for them" I have a tendency to really really DESIRE them above everythign else. For example, I did/would eat a bag of cheetos (the 310 calorie "snack sized" bag) and avoid the good healthy lunch of a coddled egg having black olives, sauteed onion, fresh wilted tomatoe coins, mozzerella cheese and a good dose of italian seasoning. This is tasty has protein, fat, fiber, and calcium. It is delicious.

But damn.  The cheetos call. 

Sometimes, I wish I could be normal when it comes to my love of carbs and body response.

auntmimi
on 4/27/15 2:10 am

I have PCOS and have had my battles with carbs. Oh, my sweet beautiful carbs. They are dangerous, I tell ya! I have noticed I do not crave the carbs like I use too but I will find myself munching on my kids cereal, or craving strawberries and bananas. My worse downfall is bananas. Go figure, it use to be chips. Now its those bananas. I have hit a stall and I know a lot of it has to do with "allowing" myself a banana every morning. I eat healthy 99% of the time (low carbs, protein first, lots of veggies) but those fruits start calling my name and WHAM there I go again. Don't beat yourself up! Alot of us battle it too! 

SkinnyScientist
on 4/27/15 6:21 am

yep.

What is it about strawberries and bananas.

Oh..and if one has banana with this crazy ass chocolate "peanut butter" that they make now. I am in heaven!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 568 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 354 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 241 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 458 views