Anybody good with styling hair!

SkinnyScientist
on 4/28/15 12:58 am

HI Gang!

First confession- I am a child of a hair dresser. What this means is :a) the talent skipped me and b) i never got "good" at doing my own hair because my mom was there to do it for me.

So for my 16 month surgeriversary, I gave myself a new do.  It looks a LOT Like this allice cullen pic.  The textured razored ends.

http://www.alkonyat-fan.eoldal.hu/cikkek/alice-cullen/

My questions are: how do they get it to stick out but still lay down like that and get it so piecy?  What sort of hair gloop do I need to buy to do it?  and b) once i get it "falling right" how do I get it to hold without turning into a helmet head.

Today-my time with the blow dryer did not go so well.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Ocalasam
on 4/28/15 1:11 am
RNY on 12/18/12

Bed Head Manipulator works pretty good for that type of style.  I would also use some hair spray when you are finished.

SkinnyScientist
on 4/28/15 1:13 am

Thanks for your super fast response!

So to I apply the manipulator just to ends, all over?  I know that sounds crazy..but you have no clue how bad I am at this stuff.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

stevie95678
on 4/28/15 3:54 am

Use a round brush to dry your hair - start at the root and work your way down turning the bottom edges inward.  Round brushes take a bit of practice, but once you master it, your hair will look professionally styled every time. You can use pomade (a tiny bit goes a LOOOOONG way).  Put a pea sized dab on your palm (wet your hands with a little water so they're damp), and rub your hands together to work it to your fingers and then apply to your hair very sparingly. If you use too much, you'll look like a wet cat (not a good look in my book).  It's a lot of trial and error.  Good luck!!

angel91e
on 4/28/15 4:21 am
RNY on 01/15/14

I don't know too much about working with a textured style like that but I do know a great trick for getting some light hold without having to go crazy with the hairspray. What I like to do is have a bottle of gel on the rim of my bathtub and when I'm done with my shower before I dry off at all I flip my hair over and put some gel in it. A small amount about the size of a quarter rubbed between both hands then worked through my hair from the back and bottom to the top and front. Then I dry my hair and what not as normal any excess or over usage of the gel will just get rubbed off onto the towel you dry your hair with so all you're left with is a very light layer that just gives you a little better control through the day without any stiffness and therefore far less hairspray is needed later on so its far easier to avoid that stiff helmet head outcome.  

I was pretty clueless about my own hair for most of my adult life until I finally had a family member help me catch a clue on how to cope. I truly understand your pain. Next time you get your hair cut or whatnot have the stylist go over with you step by step on how to recreate the look and they can even help recommend products to make your life easier. This was always my lifesaving method until I figured things out. 

Let us know how it all goes....

Angel

HW/217 1st apt/202 SW/191 CW/115

1st goal:140 @9months

2nd goal:130 @11months

3rd goal:115 @16months  

Ocalasam
on 4/28/15 11:35 pm
RNY on 12/18/12

Just use a tiny amount of the manipulator on your finger tips and pull out little sections all over so it looks "piecey."  It will take some practice!  You might also want to use a root lifting spray moose just at the roots.  Blo Foam by Rusk works well for this.

christinerocks
on 4/29/15 4:10 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

you'll need some sort of pomadeor hair wax to get the piecey look but the rest of the styling will take some trial and error!  

Make an appointment for a "blow out" with the stylist and have him or her give you step by step instructions.  And then take a weekend and try it out!  You'll get it.

And by the way - this is a super cool style and I can't wait to see pics of it on YOU!!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 369 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 341 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 341 views