Doing better than expected by the hospital team's standards, but OMG the PAIN!

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/15 7:43 am
RNY on 05/04/15

After my surgery Monday, the doc told me family I'd be discharged Wednesday evening. However, I did really well in the hospital -- no problem getting my fluids and protein in, got up and walked a few times, and could pee on my own, so they actually discharged me yesterday, a day and a half ahead of schedule. I'm still doing great getting fluids and protein shakes/yogurt in (as long as I don't pu**** too fast), but the pain has gotten nearly unbearable since getting off the IV pain pump at the hospital! I take 10mg of oxycodone every 3 hours, but this morning I woke up having last taken it about 8 hours before, and I was in so much pain I could barely move. It's a lot better when I sit still and when I've taken the oxy...did anyone else have to keep their pain meds by their bed and set an alarm to wake up and take them more frequently? I realize I had surgery, and it's gonna hurt, but how long does it hurt THIS BAD? One of my stitches actually formed an indentation in my stomach that looks like a second belly button...my abdomen is very lopsided, lol.

christinerocks
on 5/6/15 10:15 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

I had never had major surgery before, but with my knee arthroscopies I didn't even touch my pain meds after the first day.  I assumed I would tough this out too.  WRONG! I was taking them every 4 hours for the first few days, including middle of the night.  I slowly weaned myself, using them in the evening and relied on them to sleep through the night until around day 9, I think.

Everyone is different and everyone says if you need them, take them.  That's why we have the prescription. Don't try to tough it out. It gets a lot better over the next week! 

I didn't get the indentation you're talking about but I've read about others having it.  Hopefully someone will chime in for you. 

Hang in there and take the meds - and don't forget to walk, walk, walk... It really helps with the pain and healing! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/15 12:41 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for the input, Christine. I'm supposed to take 1-3 of these every 3 hours, and I had been trying 2. A couple hours ago I broke down and took 3 and felt MUCH better. I think I need to just not try to be a hero and take what I need to not be miserable.

CGCL
on 5/6/15 10:32 am
RNY on 02/19/15

I didn't even need to set the alarm. I woke up when the first dose wore off and took another one. I also had a huuuuge indentation. I think it's a combination of being swollen and the incision being pulled in. It took about 3-4 weeks to subside.

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/15 12:40 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

Thanks for the input; I'm glad to know the indentation eventually subsides. I think it's the really tight "loop stitch" my surgeon uses to try to prevent incisional hernias. It sure hurts though!

unrulyjulie
on 5/6/15 1:03 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

My alarm was set so I didn't get behind.   Lowered the dosage as the days went by but Keith worth the same frequency.   Without that I wasn't able to even get of of bed.

JAMStribe
on 5/6/15 3:04 pm

I too took my pain meds on schedule for the first week or so.

If they gave them to me, I am not going to suffer.  Also, when you aren't relaxed your

body heals slower. I took meds, sipped and slept I barely remember the first few days except for being ungodly

nauseated but that was my body..    

seattledeb
on 5/6/15 4:26 pm

If your pain level gets too high the pills aren't going to help. That's what sounds like happened when you went 8 hours. Pain meds and moving (helps the gas pain) and maybe a stool softener(narcotics are constipating) are good things!

Deb T.

(deactivated member)
on 5/6/15 5:01 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

That sounds very likely. I've upped it from 2 pills to 3 now, and even waking up from a nap today after 3.5 hours instead of taking them every 3, I felt much worse than staying medicated. From now on I'll set an alarm through the night!

HLen
on 5/6/15 6:44 pm
RNY on 07/11/14

My pain pills didn't do much after getting off the pump.  It took a good 3 weeks to feel better and not need any pills.   I just recently had out my gallbladder and this time decided to take pills as directed on the hour because I remembered the pain from before... Much better keeping a pill schedule... But be careful of constipation.. It can make pain worse. :-)

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 149 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics