Dilemma

jackieboy331
on 5/6/15 1:14 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

i just got home from the hospital. Can someone tell me how I'm supposed to get in all the water and all the protein on a liquid diet of eating only 1 to 2 oz. at a shot. Plus the fact you have to do your vitamins medications and pain meds on top of that. Yikes I am overwhelmed and scared. 

stevie95678
on 5/6/15 1:33 pm

When you wake up, take your pain meds, go to the potty and then start sipping your water.  Try to get in at least 4 oz of water before breakfast - it's only 1/2 a cup.  Then do your protein shake or liquid for breakfasrt (which counts towards your water) and begin to take your vitamins. I spread my vitamins out throughout breakfast and it makes taking them so much easier. After breakfast, start sipping your water.  Repeat for lunch and dinner.  I know it seems overwhelming right now but you'll have it down in a day or two. Just take it slow and try to reach your 64 oz of water everyday. Get lots of rest and do your best. You'll be a pro before you know it.

ChristineB
on 5/6/15 1:37 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

When I was PO and just home I was told to drink my protein and have my water at the same time because there was no way to get it all in during the course of the day. My doctor's protocol to the food protein and water ingestion came when I started the blended stage.

Talk to the doc office and see what they say.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

nicupnorth
on 5/6/15 1:38 pm - Eagle river, WI

Hang in there!  Work on your water/protein at this time. A protein shake counts for your liquid intake.  Sip sip sip.  It gets better!

seattledeb
on 5/6/15 4:32 pm

You can't.

And that's okay. It's normal to be scared and overwhelmed. You are well hydrated from the surgery (they gave you lots of IV fluids during surgery). Take a deep breath and then just start. Have water by you. Take your pain meds when you hurt. IMO your vitamins can wait a week. I think they are too hard to get in at first but that is JUST my opinion.

Fluid,pain meds,resting,moving, and most of all deep breathing. It's good for your lungs and your mind. You are on the other side. It's all going to come together.

Deb T.

mschwab
on 5/6/15 4:54 pm
RNY on 11/21/14

My surgeon did not have me start vitamins until my 2 week post-op visit with him. 

Height: 5'7".  HW: 299, Program starting weight: 290, SW: 238, CW 138 - 12 pounds under goal!  

Nomoreexcuses
on 5/6/15 5:08 pm

It's NOT easy and you probably won't be able to get all your fluids in for a while but just keep trying. I couldn't even stY awake long enough to get everything in when taking the pain mess. 

However, when you are awake just remember to sip, sip, sip. Set a timer to go off every ten minutes if you have to. 

Two weeks from from now you will feel much better. 

VGS Surgery on 3/4/15

christinerocks
on 5/6/15 5:13 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

One day at a time.  I read on here (and my nutrition team backed this up) that your priority in these first days is liquids.  The protein is a close 2nd.  If the vitamins slide in the first few days you're fine - just keep trying.  And know that, as time goes on, you will be able to manage bigger and bigger sips - which makes everything easier.  

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Poodlemac
on 5/6/15 7:51 pm
RNY on 09/26/14
On May 6, 2015 at 5:13 PM Pacific Time, christinerocks wrote:

One day at a time.  I read on here (and my nutrition team backed this up) that your priority in these first days is liquids.  The protein is a close 2nd.  If the vitamins slide in the first few days you're fine - just keep trying.  And know that, as time goes on, you will be able to manage bigger and bigger sips - which makes everything easier.  

Christine- your stats are exactly the same as mine!!  Same age, same HW, same SW !  I think it's interesting to watch your progress!  Good luck to you!!  BTW, how tall are you? I'm about 5'8". 

christinerocks
on 5/6/15 8:02 pm, edited 5/6/15 8:03 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

Cool! I am shorter than you, at 5' 4".  I put my stats in there just for that reason! I hope I have the same amount of success that you're having! 

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 505 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 417 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 422 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 120 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?