Alcohol Consumption

YEGgirl
on 5/19/15 12:35 pm, edited 5/19/15 12:40 pm - Edmonton, Canada

So I tried booze for the second time the other weekend and I could drink 5 vodka and waters and one tequila mixed drink. It didn't really affect me at all. I was told by people in my support group that one glass of wine is their limit. Is this type of tolerance normal? I am not a big drinker, the last time I drank was back in November. The girls in my support group said it could have been watered down bar booze . . thoughts?

Grim_Traveller
on 5/19/15 12:41 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Thoughts? I think you're playing Russian Roullette. I think your weight loss will stop, and the regain will start with a vengeance. I think you are well on your way to an alcohol addiction. Those are my thoughts.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

YEGgirl
on 5/19/15 12:43 pm - Edmonton, Canada

Because I went out and enjoyed some time with friends? Can someone sensible please respond?

Oh and I have lost 6+ pounds these past few weeks . . .

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/19/15 12:53 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I think that's quite sensible, actually.

One shot of tequila is 69 calories, so you had about 350 (empty) calories when you were out. You may as well have eaten a cheese Danish for the nutrition factor there. And that's just one night out.

Some folks can get away with it at first, as the body is still adjusting and you can eat crap and still lose weight. That's not often the case forever.

Search for "transfer addiction" in the board history here. Post-WLS alcoholism does occur for some people.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

YEGgirl
on 5/19/15 1:09 pm - Edmonton, Canada

I found it odd that I could actually consume that much to be honest, I don't plan on doing it every weekend or every month for that matter but I do want to enjoy a drink on a patio somewhere with my girlfriends at some point this summer and I just wanted to know how I would react.

Thank you for your kind response and not jumping to conclusions that I will become a raging alcoholic.

Karen M.
on 5/19/15 1:37 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Ahhh... this sounds familiar to me, "I found it odd that I could actually consume that much". I'm the same way with alcohol post-op. Not a lot of effects until one-too-many, and then it's REALLY one-too-many. Be really careful, okay? Your liver is already working triple-time and drinking alcohol is literally assaulting your liver with every drink you take. Not solely alcohol-related, but it certainly contributed to it, my liver died in 2013 and tried to take me out with it. It very nearly succeeded. RNY + Tylenol + social/regular drinking + a medication I was on for years and didn't think anything of = near death and months and months of illness, physical rehabilitation, and finally healing. Just be careful.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

YEGgirl
on 5/19/15 2:40 pm - Edmonton, Canada

I will, thank you for your response Karen. I don't plan on doing it again, I was just curious to see what the effects were post-op.

Do you mind me asking, did your liver problems begin post-op?

Karen M.
on 5/19/15 5:57 pm - Mississauga, Canada

They sure did, as did my apparent love for alcohol. Fun, fun, fun until it wasn't. Keep in mind, I'm a 9 year vet, 7 years post-op when I nearly cashed out a couple of years ago. You've got the opportunity to do it right and protect yourself and your health. If only I'd had the foresight.

Best wishes.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

YEGgirl
on 5/19/15 8:44 pm - Edmonton, Canada

I sent you a PM and friend request, thank you for not jumping on the band wagon and cutting me down like the rest of these people.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/20/15 8:11 am
RNY on 08/05/19
On May 19, 2015 at 8:44 PM Pacific Time, YEGgirl wrote:

I sent you a PM and friend request, thank you for not jumping on the band wagon and cutting me down like the rest of these people.

Not sure how "don't do that, it's a bad idea" is considered cutting someone down.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 489 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 338 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 100 views
Recent Topics