Not doing well

neonrose68
on 5/25/15 3:58 pm - Forney, TX

I am new here and am looking for advice or help.   My story is a long one. In December 2014,  I had sleeve surgery and ended up with a leak and became septic.  After 2 months in one hospital they still never found the leak. I had a feeding tube and multiple drains.  I was referred to another doctor and transferred to another hospital.   This doctor found the leak immediately, it was too late to save my stomach so he did a roux n y.  I never wanted bypass surgery. I was on the second hospital for 2 more months. Now I am home and very unhappy.  I am having trouble adjusting.  I feel everything, get weird pains, cramping.  Not sure if any of what I feel is normal.  Will it get any easier?

Semaenlightened
on 5/25/15 4:44 pm
RNY on 03/25/15

I don't have any advice but I wanted to let you know that I hope things get better.  What kind of pains and cramping are you getting? What are you on for a diet?

JB1114
on 5/25/15 5:50 pm - Grain Valley, MO

Sounds like you've had a rough time.  I had RNY July 2008 and have had no problems.  Did your doctor give you advice on what to eat, activity you should do?  If not, you should contact him.

Hope you feel better soon.

~Jo~

RNY: July 8, 2008

Dr. John Price

Kansas City, MO

cspotrun
on 5/25/15 5:54 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

You really have been through a lot.  I can imagine you feel pretty rotten. So sorry this happened to you.  Do you have a surgeon now that you are comfortable with?  What kind of pain are you having?  And when was your RNY?  What sorts of things have you tried and are able to eat?

Karen   

NYMom222
on 5/25/15 6:36 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I am sorry you have such a rough time.   I am glad they found the leak and you are home now. There is another woman on here that had sleeve surgery, and then she had some kind of complication, and the next day they converted it to a RNY. I know it was hard for her to put her mind around it in the beginning as she too never wanted RNY. She just reached goal the other day... and that was the goal either way. My way of encouraging you (I hope) is she did get past it and was successful... You didn't say how long you have actually been home, but i know for me while I felt pretty physically good in a few weeks, there were still challenges in eating, and what 'agreed' with me and what at any moment I could eat and not eat. It started getting easier after 3 months home, probably took 6 months for food to generally agree with me and taste good. Stick around these boards to help keep you focused and moving forward.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

neonrose68
on 5/25/15 8:06 pm - Forney, TX

I have been home 3 weeks tomorrow.   I am on solid foods and am doing okay with them. I really have trouble drinking water. Its weird.  My surgery was march 10th but I had bad problems with nausea and was hospitalized a few times for it.  That is much better thanks to some meds.  I did find that coffee makes me "dump".  I just feel off all the time.  Thank you so much for responding

iloveravens
on 5/26/15 6:10 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I couldn't drink plain water for about 4 months after surgery, I have no idea why.  Crystal Light and decaf hot tea saved me.  Try different temps of liquids.  I'd ditch the coffee for now, try again at 6 months post op.

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

cabin111
on 5/25/15 8:50 pm

Go to the doctor again...You may have a stricture.  It should get better with time...

What is a stricture?  This question comes up weekly, if not daily on OH.  Below is a copy and paste from Wikipedia.  If you are a few weeks out post op from RNY and have problems keeping well chewed food (even water) down, you might have a stricture.  Very common and very treatable (about 5% of RNY patients get them).  Also do not freak out if you have to go back a second or third time to get treated for one.  The Gastroenterologist will go just below the pouch and air up the "balloon" .  It is an outpatient procedure and you will be sedated.

As the anastomosis heals, it forms scar tissue, which naturally tends to shrink ("contract") over time, making the opening smaller. This is called a "stricture". Usually, the passage of food through an anastomosis will keep it stretched open, but if the inflammation and healing process outpaces the stretching process, scarring may make the opening so small that even liquids can no longer pass through it. The solution is a procedure called gastroendoscopy, and stretching of the connection by inflating a balloon inside it. Sometimes this manipulation may have to be performed more than once to achieve lasting correction.

neonrose68
on 5/26/15 12:07 pm - Forney, TX

Ty. I go tomorrow. I 

selhard
on 5/25/15 7:50 pm, edited 5/25/15 10:40 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

When you said 2 months in the hospital, I was thinking it must have felt like a year.  Then you wrote yet another 2 months, it must have felt like forever.  It's a good sign you are reaching out for advice because that means you are a fighter determined to get better.  Please do ask specific questions to help get answers.   This site is like daily therapy, doesn't cost a dime, and is blessed with veterans who answer tough stuff like supplements, labs, procedures, and more.  Again, please come back with detailed questions.  You're bound to get a reply or two.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 515 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 361 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?