Dinner tips for those with families?

Angelique J.
on 5/26/15 8:42 pm - Allentown, PA

I am married and have a toddler (okay so my three year old eats like one bite of a peanut butter sandwich and a banana and then runs around the house for 4 hours so she doesn't count) and I don't know what to cook post post post surgery when I am eating normal foods for dinner. I look through the "What is everyone eating today?" posts and a lot of the dinner ones just aren't realistic for families. What are your best dinner ideas during maintenance phase (I'm thinking ahead) or do you just eat alone?

HW - 366+/1stSW - 325/CW - 301/GW - 200,

Lap-banded 3-5-2008, planning for revision to RNY 

J.A.C.+M  poly w/ child

cspotrun
on 5/26/15 9:44 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

We usually make some sort of meat, veggie and starch or fruit. I skip the starch. Easy!

Karen   

Jessca
on 5/26/15 3:27 pm, edited 5/26/15 3:27 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

I have 3 boys, 9, 4, and 2. I agree with the above! Even if it's some kind of casserole ish thing I can pick the meat out assuming it's not a really sugary or fatty sauce or what not. And honestly my kids don't need to eat anything sugary or fatty either so there's not usually a problem. The kids love all types of protein including salmon (or other types of fish) and seafood, etc. Stir fry is a good one, too, when you don't want the run of the mill separate meat/veg/starch combo. I make tostadas a lot too and I just skip the tostada shell for myself. Spaghetti and meatballs without the noodles for myself (I would like to try zoodles though...). I know I have only been at this a month if you don't count the preop diet but I haven't found it too difficult myself and the dishes I can't fit into my diet in any way shape or form are ones that were never really good for anyone to begin with.

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

italianspice
on 5/27/15 4:15 am - Eastlake, OH

Just make sure you have a meat and vegetables and you are set. I will make my husband and  boys a starch but I won't eat that. They can order pizza when I have to work late. 

Good luck

~Maria

SW 230 Preop 205 GW 130 LW 131 CW 135 Ht 5'1"

chulbert
on 5/27/15 5:13 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Bring the whole family on board eating for health and wellness.  You'll just eat a smaller portion.

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/15 6:34 am

Oh everyone in my house eats what I make. If they don't like it tough. I have young adult teenagers so it is different. I would have your three year old eat what you eat. You can add a starch if you want. I had my kids help with menu planning to. 

I would totally keep giving your three year old fruit and other healthy foods. I have a friend who's child will only eat hot dogs, chicken fingers and macaroni and cheese. The kid is now 24 and obese. 

Good eating habits start at a young age. 

karenp8
on 5/27/15 7:23 am - Brighton, IL

I basically cook the same thing for my family and myself. If I make spaghetti for them I just eat the meatballs and sauce without pasta. I usually make a non starchy vegetable for me and make some sort of starch for them that I don't eat. We eat lots of protein:ribeyes,pork loin,fish of all types and lots of shrimp. I wish I had had my surgery when my sons were young as they are both grown and have weight problems too. My youngest just graduated from college and has been home two weeks. He's lost weight since he's been home too!

christinerocks
on 5/27/15 7:46 am - AZ
RNY on 04/06/15

My kids (stepkids actually) are 17 and 22, so it doesn't exactly apply... but I always eat with my husband. Everyone generally eats the same thing, which is whatever healthy protein I am having.  I will have a little of the vegetable as well.  Anything else that is made - a starch, or pasta, etc. - I just skip.  

Crock pots are great for making pot roasts, chicken, or other foods that are nice and moist for you and also healthy for all.  check out Bariatricfoodie.com and theworldaccordingtoeggface.com for recipe ideas that everyone will love.  

Good luck!

________

137 pounds lost - from a 24/26W to a size 8/10!

Gwen M.
on 5/27/15 5:07 am, edited 5/27/15 5:08 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I find that paleo recipes are really WLS-friendly.  I still cook rice or pasta for my family, but I just eat the meat and veg.  Casseroles aren't very feasible anymore.  

This has worked well for my family :) And, really, the things that are unhealthy for me are unhealthy for everyone else in the house as well :P

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Ashley in Belgium
on 5/27/15 12:15 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Another trick to is cook and freeze WLS friendly food that you like to eat.  Then when you are doing a quick and dirty meal for the little one and hubby is having leftovers or pizza or whatever, YOU have an immediate go to meal that requires no more effort than a minute in the microwave.  This has saved me countless times from sweating this issue.  I make child, ricotta bake, Indian lentil Dahal, etc. and I freeze it inside silicone muffin trays.  Then I pop out the frozen meals into a ziplock bag and grab one when needed.  Shelly's website has tons of great ideas and fun things to make that your toddler will love too.  Good luck - it gets easier I promise!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 542 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views