Protein shakes

hearnia
on 5/22/15 9:53 am

I'm getting some mixed messages about the best protein shakes to have post-op.  I'm hearing 25+ grams of protein and around 150 calories is best.  Anyone have any opinions and/or suggestions as to best brands for nutrition and flavor?  Thanks in advance... 20 days.  Gulp.

Corrie33
on 5/22/15 5:28 am, edited 5/22/15 5:31 am
RNY on 02/09/15

I've tried 4 kinds so far, and I like to mix it up a little so as not to have the same thing day after day.  

• My Fav: Premier Protein Shake, 160 cals, 30 grams protein.  I like to mix in a little cashew  milk and calorie free syrups
  • My Least Fav:  Isopure Zero Carb Drink - it's a 'clear' drink and comes in a bottle with 40 grams protein and 160 calories.  I've tried 4 of their flavors, they are strong so you might want to water them down a bit.  The taste is kinda funky - but I keep them on reserve in case my protein levels are still low toward the end of the day.  I only drink 1/2 at a time of these.
  • Unjury Powdered Protein:  All their flavors are good - the Chicken Soup is my fav but very high in sodium.  They have 90-100 cals if you mix them with jus****er, and 21 grams of protein.  You might want to use milk or Silk with some of the flavors to make them more creamy
  • New One I'm Excited About:  Rule 1... I've only had a sample given to me by a nutrition store, but I'm going back for more.  I tried the Cookies & Cream flavor and it was 25 grams protein for 100 calories (125 if you mix it with Unsweetened Cashew Milk) this one was the yummiest one I've ever had.

I know there's tons more out there and available... some are expensive, but I find they taste better.

GOAL REACHED! 170 lbs lost...

RNY: 2/9/15 (age 52), Ht-5'9" HW=304, SW=292, GW=155, LW=134, CW=147

Mo.1 -29lbs Mo.2 -18lbs Mo.3 -13lbs Mo.4 -11lbs Mo.5 - 14lbs Mo.6 - 10lbs Mo. 7 -11lbs Mo. 8 -9.4lbs

mysty888
on 5/22/15 6:03 pm
RNY on 01/22/15

Where did you get the Rule 1? I might want to try it.

Doingrightin2015
on 5/22/15 12:58 pm
RNY on 03/10/15

I like the premier shakes premade. 160 calories with 30 grams of protein. Chocolate and vanilla are my favorite. The also have a strawberries and cream.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

hearnia
on 5/22/15 12:59 pm

Thank you both!  This is very helpful.

hl1524
on 5/22/15 2:23 pm - Austin, TX

You can get various samples of the Nectar protein packs from syntrax. The premier protein are ready-made which comes in handy for the grab and go. Sometimes people have issues with the smell of protein shakes after surgery. you can avoid the smell by using a blender bottle or the premade shakes. 

RNY 8/27/2014

NYMom222
on 5/22/15 4:55 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My surgeon said that our prepared shake shouldn't have more than 200 calories, 5-6g of sugar and should have at least 20-30g protein. There are powders that should have less calories, usually 100-120, but then you are going to add milk or something when you prepare them... so the calories go up... and then Ready to Drink you have ones like Premier that have 160.  I always try and have 30g of protein and 16oz fluid when I make my shakes (unless I am drinking Premier)... Supposedly 30g is about the max you can absorb at one time.

Ones I like: Inspire Pumpkin Pie (bariatric eating.com), CLick or Fit Frappe - both coffee flavored...., my newest find for Chocolate and Vanilla is Biologix Natural Whey. They sell it at GNC but Walgreens has it cheaper and when it is on sale they have it for $22, a bargain. It is also grass-fed and stevia sweetened. The Unflavored I like is Genepro (Amazon) goes into hot or cold and 1 TBSP= 30g... so the smaller volume makes it easier to mix in. I don't always use a whole TBSP, sometimes I'll just add a teaspoon to cottage cheese or something to bump up the protein.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

lynnc99
on 5/22/15 8:29 pm

I don't think there's any ONE answer. 

Everyone's tastes are different and truthfully - my tastes change every so often! What I loved a year ago....now? Now so much!

Anyway here's my review of a few that I"ve used over the years:

Ready to drink shakes:These are great for traveling (in a cooler bag) and grab and go convenience

Atkins Mocha Latte - 160 cal., about 15 gm. protein. The little shot of coffee flavor gives it a good flavor.

Muscle Milk 100 - yep, 100 calories, about the lowest calorie count you'll find. It's a thin texture, and not super filling, but protein numbers are decent.

Premier Protein - at costco, with a whopping 30 gm. protein. I used these for ages. They have changed their formula a time or two over the years. For a while they seemed thick to me, so I added a little water. 

Mixable powders:

GNC AMP protein - the chocolate flavor is really good. Not overly sweet, unlike some others. It's pricey so watch for a sale or get the GNC membership card. 

Quest Protein - this is one I"m currently using, with 110 cal. and 23 gm protein. The chocolate milkshake flavor tastes like a shake, truly. But it's a little sweet so I'm thinking of adding a little strong coffee or something else to offset the sweetness. 

Body Fortress - at Walmart, this is the least expensive option I've found. Protein content is good, price sits under $20, and while the chocolate flavor isn't striking, you can easily toss in a little DaSani SF syrup to give it some nice flavor. 

And as I said....I keep switching off!

TammyH968
on 5/28/15 7:54 am - Wichita Falls, TX

My favorite brand is Matrix. I have tried Syntax but I like the texture of the Matrix.  I like the Vanilla best because I can add things to it and make it taste how ever I want.  But this is my normal recipe.  Skim mil**** protein powder, greek yogurt (plain or flavored) and what ever brand has the most protein(they vary) and mix it all up in my Bullet mixer.  To me they taste creamy and just like a milk shake. And the chocolate is also yummy.  Hmmmm that sounds really good right now.  Off to the kitchen.  Hope this helps.

Marys1521
on 6/4/15 9:39 pm

Premier Chocolate...I actually like them!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 490 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 346 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 397 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 102 views
Recent Topics