RH Hypoclycemia Question

browneyes65
on 5/29/15 10:13 pm - IN

I'm 16 months out now and heard everyone gets hypoglycemia at sometime so I'm trying to think of some type of food, snack I can leave in my vehicle in case I forget to bring something with me. I can't leave protein bars now because it's getting hot outside and they will melt. Not sure when the hypoglycemia will hit.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/29/15 10:21 pm - OH

Whoever told you that everyone gets RH doesn't know what they are talking about!  Yes, some do (and the numbers are higher than some surgeons know or want to admit), but the vast majority of the RNYers that I know IRL do NOT have it.  Don't borrow trouble!

To answer your question, though, nuts are a decent option, and you can get protein bars that don't have a chocolate-like coating that will melt...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MickeyDee
on 5/29/15 10:27 pm

Well, no, not everyone gets RH.  It is not uncommon, but can be controlled if you get an episode.  You might want to stash some turkey jerky if you're afraid of melting food.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/30/15 7:19 am

I keep individualky servings of almond butter.  Sealed pouches, of NSA 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ladytazz
on 5/30/15 7:35 am

I had a few episodes in my second year that came out of nowhere and resolved out of nowhere.  

I think the reason I don't have any more episodes is helped by the fact that I eat ever 3 hours and I avoid refined carbs.

My go to when I did have those episodes were a few gluten free crackers with peanut (or almond) butter.  I never ate those at any other time and haven't had to in years.

I still keep a meter with me at all times but thankfully it goes unused.  But I try to be prepared for any possibility.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

bubbosmama
on 5/30/15 3:17 pm - Canada

I have had reactive hypoglycemia since a month after surgery, have had three episodes where my body went into diabetic shock and passed out in public before accepting the surgeons recommendation that I do the following"

1. eat every 3 hours and include both protein and complex carbohydrate

2. check your blood with a glycometer and if under 4 drink apple or orange juice (half a cup) wait 15 minutes and redo blood if not over 4 repeat

3. Once blood is over 4, and if meal is more than an hour away, eat a small meal of protein and a min 15 carbs

4. check blood 3-4 times daily

KEY:  people have recommended that you eat protein when you have this or protein bars....if you read up on diabetes you will see that you need carbs with your protein.  NOT junk... but try whole grain cracker and peanut butter,  half a slice of whole grain bread with cheese, or if you are diagnosed carry glucerna tablets with you as they are designed to raise your blood sugar safely and do not require refrigeration

browneyes65
on 5/30/15 3:36 pm - IN

Is Diabetes different than RH hypoglycemia? with glucerna tablets how many would I use ?

bubbosmama
on 5/30/15 4:23 pm - Canada

Yes they are different diagnoses, I am not diabetic but the result of a severe hypoglycemic episode where the sugar spike severely and then plummets is diabetic shock.  It usually is a result of having something high in sugar, although not necessarily something obvious,  I have what they call a very sensitive pouch in this regard, and my incidents were precipitated by adding an extra quarter cup of raspberries to my yogurt and cottage cheese, or some mango to my ^protein shake.  I have not had any refined sugar, bad carbs or anything high in fat since before surgery and still react.  My reaction levels are nuts, and thankfully rare.  If you are worried talk to your doctor, you cant get a glycometer without a prescription anyway, and they could tell you if this is something you need to worry about.  I wouldn't be taking anything or adding anything to your routine without making sure it is necessary, slippery slope and all that stuff.  Hope this doesn't affect your life, but check with your nut or doc.  All the best

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 9 views
Recent Topics