Tips needed for not drinking while eating plz!

dvolumptious1
on 5/30/15 2:38 am

I'm a year out and never stuck to the rule but I want to now bc I finally have a normal BMI and I want it to stay that way. Any tips would be appreciated. I don't like to drink unless it's post workout or while I'm eating. Otherwise...I can go all day with nothing so this is going to be a challenge for me. 

Doingrightin2015
on 5/30/15 3:30 am
RNY on 03/10/15

When I sit down to eat I do not have anything to drink near me. Then get busy doing something when I am finished eating to help pass the 30 minutes until I can get something to drink. I always get something to drink in the mornings before I even think about eating. Usually get in 2 cups pre-breakfast. Then I will also do 2 cups after going to the gym. I always have a drink with me when I am traveling in the car or working at my desk. I also have a drink with me in the evening when just relaxing and enjoying time spent with the hubby. You can do this if you just get your mind into it.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

SkinnyScientist
on 5/30/15 4:28 am

First, drink/sip on something all day so you aren't dehydrated at meal time.

In addition to keeping drinks away from me, and busying myself (like the poster supra), I also make sure my food is well seasoned so it induces saliva.

By well seasoned, I mean with herbs NOT salt and NOT spicy/hot seasonings (which will make me want sour cream, milk, or water). I use a lot of nutmeg, cumin, coriander, basil, tumeric and cinnamon.

It takes a bit of getting used to but once you do it will not bother you anymore.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

selhard
on 5/29/15 10:02 pm, edited 5/29/15 11:25 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Tips:  1.  choosing dense protein foods might help decrease the urge to drink with or afterward   2. find something for you that makes time fly while waiting to drink after a meal like cleaning, walking, internet surfing, bathing... 3.  drinking lots of water first thing in the morning might help curb the urge to be thirsty later on at mealtime  4.   the three fears of bowel obstruction, constipation, and regain motivates WLSers to keep following the drinking rules every day.

crqvingchange
on 5/30/15 12:48 pm

I'm 10 months out and have never heard of drinking bringing on bowel obstruction or constipation.   Can you please explain.   I'm learning something new every day from this site. So grateful it's available to us.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

killinmesmalls77
on 5/30/15 5:18 pm - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

Following the drinking rules of sipping all day and getting at least 64 oz in daily can keep us from getting a bowel obstruction or constipation. At least that is my take on the post above yours. 

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

selhard
on 6/1/15 9:17 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Thanks for making me realize I need to explain more clearly: The 64 ounces of water per day rule helps our digestive system work properly.  Staying active and staying hydrated can help lessen bouts of severe constipation.  Frequent straining to have a BM, impacted stool, and other digestive problems can be a possible contributor to bowel obstruction issues like blockages, twists, kinks, or overlapping (there are other causes, as well).  One website resource is WebMD.  In the WLS support groups I attend, I have listened to four members who have had bowel obstructions.  All four were told bowel obstructions happen with no definitive cause; however all four agree staying active and drinking the recommended water amount is important, important, important. One member said her obstruction was related to scar issue while another said she may have twisted/kinked her intestine due to frequent BM straining.  Waiting to drink at least 30 minutes after a meal is recommended to help prevent issues like feeling hungry too soon, not utilizing the stoma restriction WLS provides, and dreaded regain we want to avoid.  Other drinking rules that vary in opinion are: avoid alcohol, avoid caffeine drinks like coffee and avoid carbonated drinks like soda pop.   The drinking recommendations are to be followed for those interested in continued success.  That's us!

crqvingchange
on 6/1/15 10:42 pm

Thank you for explaining.   My center never talked about the correlation of dehydration and bowel obstruction.   I will make sure I get in all my fluids throughout the day as I tend to slack off in the evening. 

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

selhard
on 6/2/15 7:04 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

You are welcome.  I don't think any center would directly say there is a correlation because bowel obstructions do just happen sometimes with no definitive correlation to anything.  However, I think we all agree staying hydrated and active helps keep the bowels happy and happy bowels is a good thing.

Han Shot First
on 5/30/15 5:48 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

I find that on most days, I've had at least 50 oz by lunchtime, and 80 by dinner, so I'm pretty well hydrated.  I don't follow my doctor's "no liquids 30 minutes before" rule because there's no way it's still in my pouch even 5 seconds after I drink.  So I'll drink up right until I take that first bite, then nothing.  I have to make sure there's no glass even in front of me, because I'll grab it without thinking.  But it's pretty much second nature now.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 530 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 343 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 169 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?