Still feeling hungry....

Kwallace1914
on 6/1/15 5:51 pm

I had my RNY on Friday may 22. I was in the hospital for 8 days due to excessive pain. Although not all the time, but there are times where I eat the correct amount of food that I'm supposed to but am still feeling hungry afterwards. I have read a lot that most people are having to remind themselves to eat bc they don't have an appetite, but I'm feeling hungry instead. Anyone else go through this, or have any advice? 

mel2015
on 6/1/15 7:05 pm - Canada

omg that is scary this is what i was hoping for no hunger...i'm waiting for my surgery date.

Catherine-Mo
on 6/1/15 7:33 pm
RNY on 05/18/15

I had RNY on 5/22 and I get hungry.  I just stick to my 3 meals a day and protein shakes.  I eat the amount I'm supposed to and am grateful I have had no nausea.  Each person is different.  You can do this.   

Jessca
on 6/1/15 8:22 pm
RNY on 04/20/15

I had my surgery 4/20 and get hungry sometimes. Usually when it's been 4+ hours since I last ate. I mean as far as true hunger goes but it's not as pronounced as it used to be (flopping growling tummy). I think getting plenty of fluids helps too. I've heard several people here say hunger is not an emergency, however. So just eat what you're supposed to and try to ignore it. And of course wanting to eat something is not the same as actual hunger. I want to eat things all thee time ;)

HW 313 SW 273 CW 208

M1 - 25 M2 - 10 M3 - 12 M4 - 9 M5 - 5 M6 - 4

Doingrightin2015
on 6/2/15 3:13 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I agree with the above poster. Wanting to eat is not the same as feeling hungry. I am 12 weeks out and really can't say I have ever felt like I am starving hungry since I had surgery. Just until the last couple of weeks I can't really say that I have even felt hungry. If you are eating what you are suppose to be eating at the times you are suppose to be eating you are truly not going to be feeling starving hunger. Also make sure you are waiting after eating the allowed time (min of 30 minutes) before having any drinks. Make sure you are getting in a min of 64 oz of fluids a day. Are you eating protein first? I think we have been so use to eating large volumes of food that we can't process that such a little amount of food can truly satisfy us. Remember it's not about getting that full stuffed Thanksgiving day feeling when you eat. Don't think you have to feel full or stuffed. We have to train our minds that this is not what keeps us from feeling hungry. Give the nerves time to heal from surgery also. It is hard to even realize sometimes that you have had enough. Make sure you are measuring only eating up to what you are suppose to be eating.

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

SuzieQuzie
on 6/2/15 11:27 am

I know where you are at.  I had my surgery on Jan16.  At first not much hunger, just trying to heal.  But then the hunger hit just as if I hadn't had the surgery.  I was so frustrated and disgusted to have reworked my plumbing only to have to deal with the same hunger.  But, that did change.  I guess my body just had to get adjusted.  I do not get that crazy I am going to lose my mind hunger if I don't eat soon.  I have a crazy work schedule so sometimes I might have to go longer than I really want to before I can eat but it is manageable.  Hang in there.

(deactivated member)
on 6/2/15 1:40 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

My surgery was on 5/4 and I was legitimately hungry a couple days out and freaking out because all that stuck in my head was all the "help I'm never hungry!" posts. Moving to purees helped, and moving to soft foods has helped some more. I do notice it's not as miserable or urgent a hunger as I used to feel, and it doesn't get worse if I don't feed it. I'm only 2 days into soft foods now, but I found a few specific things helped the hunger (and my anxiety about it):

1) Not letting myself go too long without eating, but not grazing either. I have 5-6 small, planned meals a day right now, and that keeps me eating frequently enough that the hunger doesn't get too bad.

2) Drinking more water. I don't know how this works, and I didn't put much stock in it at first when vets were suggesting the same thing to me, but I should have -- somehow, with our rearranged plumbing, thirst feels more like hunger than what we're used to thirst feeling like, and for me, the hungry feelings improved a lot when I started getting closer to 64 oz. of water a day instead of the 40-45 I'd been getting.

3) Eating more when I'm still hungry. This one might not work for everyone because I have a really fast metabolism (which sounds great until you realize that I was able to be MO my entire life even when my metabolism was doing all it could to help me). But I was over-restricting. Contrary to the "don't use your pouch as a measuring device" advice that's given here a lot, my NUT said I should eat until I'm satiated, because if I don't fill my pouch, I'm not getting the whole benefit of the surgery. Don't get me wrong, I still measure and weigh everything to log and to make sure I don't eat too much and feel sick, but I'm listening to my body more to learn for which foods 1/4c is enough and which ones make better meals at 1/3-1/2c.

Talk to your dietitian...mine sure helped me a bunch to figure out what was right for me!

Kathyjs
on 6/7/15 10:07 am

Hunger is my bodies way of saying I need water. Works for me, good luck

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 331 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views