Feeding Tube

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/15 2:04 pm
RNY on 04/15/15

Has anyone on here had to get a feeding tube or know anyone who has after RNY?  If so, where do they put it (since my pouch is not being very accepting right now), will I still lose weight, and do I still try to eat while I have it?  I am really trying to understand what this will be like. As I am still throwing up all of the time, the bariatric surgeon said I will probably need to get one if the vomiting doesnt stop.  UGH:( .  I'm not feeling very happy about all of these complications.  I hope after all of this, I can get to a healthy weight.  Anyways, any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/5/15 3:08 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

These would all be really good questions for your surgeon, since presumably s/he will be the one to put it in. Can you call the office and ask for more information?

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

burghblonde
on 6/5/15 9:11 am, edited 6/5/15 9:11 am
RNY on 05/12/14

There are a few different types. There is an NG, which means nasal gastric. This one is more temporary and is used for some to simply remove air from the stomach, however it can also be used for feedings. Just as it sounds it is placed through the nasal passage down the esophagus, and into the stomach. There is also a Peg tube/G tube/button (referred to many different ways). This one is surgically placed through the abdominal wall directly into the stomach. Depending on the situation, sometimes you can eat while the tube is being utilized, however often times you cannot. Your surgeon really should go over the specifics with you. Every case is unique. Here's hoping your issue resolves very soon and it won't be a concern. Best of luck!

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

Laura in Texas
on 6/6/15 6:48 am

I see you are only 2 months out. Why are you throwing up? Do you have a stricture? Is your surgeon addressing the issue? 

The only people I have heard of who had feeding tubes were much further out than you.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Shari S.
on 6/8/15 7:09 pm - DFW area, TX

I am about to get one in my remnant stomach in order to access my bile duct for an ERCP.  I agree with earlier posters.  It sounds like lots of questions to be asked and follow up with your surgeon to find out what's going on.  Have they done an upper GI, seen what's happening?  This sounds rather unusual.  I am 12 years post-op.  I am getting a lot more information tomorrow.  They're discussing a g-tube versus a PEG.

Good luck!!

RNY 2/2003, Cholestectomy 10/2003, 270 lbs lost

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 375 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics