What is causing this?

Missella20
on 6/28/15 9:50 am
RNY on 07/11/13

This has happened to me 3 or 4 times now since my RNY surgery 2 years ago. 

Yesterday, I had a protein shake, broiled Parmesan fish (leftovers), and a chocolate protein bar. My stomach started hurting as I got dressed for a friend's wedding. It was 2:30 pm and we drove to the wedding. I had pretty severe stomach cramping before and on the way to the wedding but after I farted (sorry), it seemed to get a little better. My stomach just ached some but no more severe cramping. So I tried to enjoy the wedding and reception. I ate about 4 bites of meat, couple small bites of fruit and salad, and a couple of bites of cake. I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary for me. I don't dump on food. I just get gas pains sometimes and a little sweaty and nauseated sometimes. I knew I shouldn't eat because my stomach hadn't fully recovered from earlier that day but I did. 

Within an hour I had to leave the wedding and had the most severe pains all around my stomach. My sides and entire front area was hurting and then my stomach would cramp like severe labor pains. I was screaming out on the car ride home it was so painful. My poor hubby and kids....they are probably sick of me talking about my stomach aching lol.

When I got home, I took 2 pills that I had from my surgery for nausea because I knew it would make me sleepy and relax. Well I slept for 12 hours and my aches and pains are all gone. 

The last time this happened, hubby took me the ER and I spent the night there having lots of tests and X-rays and they couldn't find anything. After I dozed from pain meds, I woke up feeling better and went home.

Is this all from gas pains? This seems very weird to me. Has this happened to anyone? Thoughts?

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

Karen518
on 6/28/15 10:23 am

I know that, for me, those symptoms could be from dairy.  You mention a protein shake (what kind of protein?), a protein bar (same questions), and Parmesan fish.  I became pretty lactose intolerant after RNY three years ago.  I might be able to handle one of those, but a bunch all together could make me really u comfortable.  Have you ever tried Gas-X when you had these symptoms?

hope you figure it out soon.  It is miserable to be u comfortable and not know what's causing it.

Missella20
on 6/28/15 10:31 am
RNY on 07/11/13

Thanks! You've given me a couple of ideas. Maybe I am becoming lactose intolerant.  My mom became lactose intolerant later in life. I am 51. My protein shake is a powder made with whey and I mix with water. I have tried tums and they don't seem to work anymore. I have never had Gas x but will definitely get some! Thanks for your help!!

rocky513
on 6/28/15 4:33 am, edited 6/28/15 4:34 am - WI

If your shake contains whey concentrate, it contains lactose.  Whey isolate is 99% lactose free.  Most people with lactose intolerance can still eat cheese and Greek yogurt. 

The cramping and pain could also be from the sugar alcohols in the protein powder and the protein bar.  They can cause wicked painful gas.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Missella20
on 6/28/15 12:21 pm
RNY on 07/11/13

I also drank crystal light. Could it be from sugar alcohols?

chevtow41
on 6/28/15 12:56 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Crystal Light kicks my butt - gas and cramping.

Missella20
on 6/28/15 1:09 pm
RNY on 07/11/13

Really....I will definitely watch from now on. That would be crazy! Something so simple as that!   

lynnc99
on 6/28/15 2:35 pm

I don't use Crystal Light - burns my stomach w/ all the citric acid - but if it's got sugar alcohols, very likely could be part of the problem. Check the label on the protein bar as well - many of them are loaded w/ sugar alcohols. I have ZERO tolerance!

Ladytazz
on 6/28/15 11:01 am

When I had severe pains like that it was a bowel obstruction.  Did you have your surgery lap?  If so you need to watch for symptoms.

Petersen's Hernia

You need to get a CT scan immediately in order for them to diagnose it.  After the pain is gone it is too late and X-rays won't show it.

Talk to your surgeon about this.  Severe pain is not normal.  And having abdominal surgery increases your risk of adhesions, which can lead to obstruction.

Take care and good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Missella20
on 6/28/15 12:24 pm
RNY on 07/11/13

Yes I had it Laproscopically. I did have X-rays the last time I had the pain and it didn't show anything. I was shocked and sure I had an obstruction or hernia or something. That was over 6 months ago. And then it happened again yesterday.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics