How much did you have to lose before people started noticing?

kaniky
on 6/30/15 9:05 am
RNY on 05/18/15

I work at a mid-size law firm.  I've been here for 19 years.  I've been open about my surgery.  Not too many people say anything at all, but occasionally, I'll get a "you doing okay"?  I'm still wearing the same baggy clothes I wore before I lost 25 pounds since surgery.  

I was hoping that someone might say something about my weight loss, but so far nothing.  My mom and hubby have brought it up, I guess that should be enough.  :)

I never said it would be easy. I said it would be worth it.
M1: -15, M2: -14, M3: -8, M4 -11, M5 -8, M6 -7, M7 -8, M8 -4

Gwen M.
on 6/30/15 9:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

50-60 pounds before people started commenting. Which isn't the same thing as them noticing, eh?  I assume that people won't say anything since it's pretty rude to comment on a person's weight. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

killinmesmalls77
on 6/30/15 2:48 am, edited 6/30/15 6:19 am - MN
RNY on 05/07/15

I had to lose about 40 lbs before people in my office said anything. And then it was only the 2 people who knew about my surgery that made the comment. I lost 50 pounds and my husband finally commented (without prompting) that now it was pretty noticeable.  Prior to that, if I asked, he'd say that he could kind of see that I lost weight in my face. 

Office settings are really tricky, because people can fear it being rude or an HR issue if they say something.  Just take it to heart, that people probably do notice, but they are being quiet about it. 

HW: 276 SW: 254.1 GW: 125 CW: 154.5

boxtop2006
on 6/30/15 10:00 am
RNY on 03/24/15

Around 50lbs or so.  I think folks want to make sure they aren't going crazy and that you really are losing weight before they say anything.  I mean it's kinda awkward when you ask someone if they are losing weight and they say no, so they just rather be safe.  Also, depending on how you wear your clothes (baggy) it might be hard to tell and if your still wearing the exact clothes then it's something they have seen you in so they really aren't sure.  Also, since they know you had the surgery you might not have as many people say anything until you have dropped a lot of weight.  I know when my husband had his it took a little while but by the time he was done losing everyone would tell him it was hard to recognize him (I'm definately not there yet). LOL  Good Luck, keep up the good work, stay on track and folks will start saying something and once they start it's neverending! :) 

Consult: 235 Surgery: 209 Current: 158.5 Goal: 140     

Racewalker48
on 6/30/15 10:18 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I work in an environment where my coworkers don't see me regularly.  With that said, it took about 40lbs for folks to notice.  It took about 20 lbs for me to notice.  Keep on mind that more people may have noticed than you think.  They just may not want to say anything as they don't want to be rude/intrusive/impolite. 

peachpie
on 6/30/15 10:26 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I'm down 45#'s now and people started noticing after the fist 20-25. I noticed a small difference 1 month after surgery. N9I'm two month out now and can absolutely see it). My kids noticed first, and keep telling me how they see me changing. My hubby notices too- I've gotten more compliments from him then I have in a long time. 

I started a new position right after surgery so my current office wouldn't be able to tell, though my old coworkers have all noticed. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/30/15 11:43 am - OH

I started at a weight of 332 pounds (a BMI of 57 since I am short), and was off work 7 weeks for my open RNY back in 2007.  I had lost 40+ pounds by the time I went back to work, but the only comments I got were how people could see the weight loss in my face!  It was pretty discouraging.  

To be fair to those people, though, I was just starting to be able to wear clothing that was a full size smaller.  I had to lose almost 50 pounds to drop that first size (24 down to 22) and then another 30 pounds to go down to a 20!  That was really discouraging! After that, though, the sizes changed much more rapidly.

People started noticing (well, they started commenting) by the time I had lost about 60 pounds.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

dasie
on 6/30/15 12:31 pm

Because I am tall, I usually have to lose quite a bit before it shows.  I was wearing size 24 the time of surgery and did not replace anything in my wardrobe for months.  I don't work so having baggy clothes  was not an issue.  With your occupation I would imagine once you buy new outfits and go down a few sizes people will really begin to notice.  It was not until I purchased an outfit that was size appropriate did the impact of how much I had changed become  obvious to me. 

Congratulations on a great choice and good luck on your journey.

dasie
on 6/30/15 12:40 pm

Because I am tall, it generally takes quite a bit before weight loss is apparent on me. I wore size 24 the day of surgery>  It was not until I purchased size appropriate clothing was the loss noticeable.  I kept  my baggy clothes for as long as possible - I don't work.   Because you are in a law firm, I would imagine after a few size change,s people will begin to notice.

Congratulations on you choice and good luck on your journey.

Dodgergirl27
on 6/30/15 1:00 pm
RNY on 01/22/14

50+ lbs, and I remember feeling horrible that I had to lose that much weight before anyone noticed...BUT after that, people noticed EVERY lb, to the point where it got really really annoying.  So it all balances out.  Now, I seriously lose 2 lbs and people comment, it's so weird.  Hang in there, also getting clothes that fit will make a huge difference, I wore baggy clothes for a long time as well.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 309 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 309 views