Not What I Expected

annabellarose77
on 7/3/15 7:40 pm - Cottontown, TN
Revision on 01/12/18

Hello Everyone! I was able to come home from the hospital yesterday. I am officially 3 days post-op. Overall, I have to say I'm not feeling anything like I thought I would after surgery. This is mostly a good thing though. No complications other than low iron levels. My pain has been tolerable, not a lot of nausea, and able to keep fluids down. I guess I went in expecting to be in a lot of pain, and have a lot of nausea, so I am so very grateful this was not the case. The downside I am experiencing is hunger. It may be head hunger, but I can't wait to get off the liquids only. I was so hoping the smell of food would be a huge turn off, and I would not even want food. I am getting close to my required fluid intake in, the Isopure clear protein drinks not as well, but working on it. They are nasty, but I really hate the foam from the Nectar fruity protein after I shake them. My surgeon said he is more concerned with me getting in the fluids than the protein, but I know I need to try my hardest. Please understand I am not complaining, I am so grateful to have had the surgery, and I know the surgery only changes the guts, not the head, which is something I have to correct myself, but I am wondering if any of you experienced hunger several days after surgery, and also how long did you have to wait before you were cleared for mushies or soft foods? My program is 7 days of clears, then 7 days of full liquids (protein shakes and clear liquid fluids only), and then if cleared, can start soft foods. Is this about average?

Thanks everyone 

Andria Ragland

ShebasMom
on 7/3/15 7:53 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Glad you are doing well 3 days post-op. Trying to get in the fluids and protein is a common problem with post-ops. While everyone's recovery is different, I didn't experience true hunger for about 4 months, however I had major head hunger around 2 months. 

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Zonechef
on 7/3/15 8:04 pm
RNY on 12/03/14

Every surgeon is somewhat different each with their own reason for each recommendations based on their experience. Sounds like your surgeon is recommending the a medium cautious route. Just follow this and you will be great. I had more pain that you in the beginning - Very true about the liquids being the most important thing at this point because dehydration is a very serious concern. Always keep some water or crystal light iced tea nearby and sip sip sip, even if you have no thirst. Dehydration in the # 1 cause of hospital re-admissions post-bariatric surgery. We are all different but for me post surgery, no sugar Popsicle's were good and Swanson 50% less sodium chicken broth was like dining in the best restaurant to me. Jello is ok to . Remember the clear liquid diet replenishes water and won't stuff you so partake as much as you want to get rid if the hunger- head hunger or real. All the best to you.

Lgarner
on 7/4/15 5:24 pm - Ft. Worth, TX

great job..thanks for the insite

MickeyDee
on 7/3/15 8:22 pm

I didn't care for the foam either;  I used a spoon to stir any protein drink, and that made it much easier to drink.  I also find a small whisk spun in the glass works well.

Roma
on 7/3/15 9:28 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

The first few days post-op I was starving! I was shocked! I mentioned it to my medical team and apparently it takes a few days for the hunger hormone ghrelin (sp? ) to leave your system. Now at a few weeks out I feel very little hunger. Give it time :)

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

diane48
on 7/3/15 11:09 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

The only way I was able to take the Isopure was to dilute it and then add a little crystal light to it.   It helped to get it down.  Before surgery I thought that I could get that down easy but found it wasn't so easy after surg!  Unjury has a chicken broth that is pretty good and still considered clear liquid.   

Navychic
on 7/3/15 11:08 pm, edited 7/3/15 11:09 pm
RNY on 02/09/15

Unjury Ckn broth was my goto after surgery also.  I found the warm liquid the most soothing and easy to get down, although don't buy more than a container as now I don't use it anymore.

On the nectar drinks I also didn't like the foam.  Try a couple oz warm water, smoosh the protein with a spoon till its a liquid, then add the rest of your liquid cold or hot if you have a coffe or tea addition.  It will mix much better with a little warm water as a starter. I use only Nectar now!

Good luck on your journey!

I'm Jo   HW 245, SW 236, CW 151 Yeah (Normal BMI!!!!)

M1=213 (-23), M2=201 (-12), M3=186 (-15), M4=175(-11), M5=166(-9), M6=157(-9), M7=153(-4) 

Jeppa
on 7/4/15 7:29 am
Revision on 06/02/15

I had a tough time with the Isolate clear protein drinks as well - they have a nasty after taste. However my nutritionist warned me that the body can only absorb so many grams of protein at once so not to try to get it all in at once. I would take one bottle and sip it periodically (like a shot) while plugging my nose just to get it down lol.  I have a packet of unjury chicken flavor but haven't tried it - The one thing I did like was the Isopure Zero Carb protein powder in Creamy Vanilla.. I used in fourths. One serving is 50 g of protein, (2 scoops of powder to 12 oz water) so I would mix half a scoop to anywhere between 3 oz to 6 oz of water, mix with a spoon, 4 times a day. It helped.  

I had some issues with hunger, but I think it was because my family has to eat - ya know? So my husband is busy cooking meals for him and the kids - smelling up the house with all that yummy goodness  - and here I am, knowing I can't eat it.  It was tough.  But I am one month out and finally past that part of the head game!

I hope you continue to do well with your recovery!

12.25.08 - Starting Weight: 408...7.30.09 - Surgery  Weight: 336

6.2.15 - Revision Surgery (Lap removal/RNY) Wt: 295

AmyDee123
on 7/4/15 8:39 am - Lutz, FL
RNY on 06/12/15

Sounds like you are doing great.   It takes some time.   I'm 3 weeks out and still struggle.   Just be careful and go slow.   Your stomach nerves have to grow back and your full sensor is totally out of commission.   You can absolutely get too full on liquids.   So be careful and drink slow. 

LapBand Weight 460 (2006) | Panni Removal Weight 200 (2008) | 3rd kid (2009)
Revision to RNY Weight 355 (June 2015)

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 405 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views