Salt

danie11e
on 7/31/15 2:44 pm

Good Evening -

I've been having a few unusual symptoms that I am wondering if they are surgery related:

1. Intense craving for salt - pretty sure I could drink the salt shaker...

2. Dizziness when going from laying down to standing. I had one of my MAs check my BP today, it was 108/65, which falls in normal range and I run lower anyways (last surgeon visit I was 117/76).

I tried to contact the nutritionist, but she is out of the office until next week. So I sent a patient portal message to the surgeon's PA. In the meantime, I would appreciate any input you guys might have. I had RNY in March.

Thanks!

RNY 03/02/2015

I'm worth it!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/31/15 5:56 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

It's very common. Look up orthostatic hypotension. Drink more fluids than you have been, and get up slowly. My doctor told me to add more salt to my diet.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Poodlemac
on 7/31/15 7:48 pm
RNY on 09/26/14

I'd love to have that BP. It's not too low. I think, tho, when you crave salt it's because your body needs it. I was once on fluid pills and I craved green olives like a wild woman!  I don't even like green olives!

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/1/15 7:53 am, edited 8/1/15 7:55 am

We eat so little, and very low carbs. Adding salt is a great idea. I add salt too almost anything these days. Even my protein shakes. 

And don't be scared that the weight may go up a bit.  Dehydration causes low BP die to losing water. The body will retain more water - and that may show as body weight on a scale.  But I rather have a few lbs and don't feel dizzy... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/1/15 4:34 pm - OH

My normal BP since my RNY is 100-104 over low 60-something, so that is not necessarily an issue.  As Grim said, sounds like what you are experiencing is pretty normal.  You will likely gra sually adjust to the lower BP.

Be aware that RNYers are more prone to kidney stones and a diet that is high in salt can increase your chances of developing stones.  Depending on how much/little sodium is in what you are currently eating, though, your boay may NEED some additonal sodium. Just don't blindly give in to teh craving without ahvign some idea how much you are already taking in.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 491 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 347 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 398 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 102 views
Recent Topics