Cross post from Mental Health Forum

Karen R.
on 8/4/15 2:17 pm - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

I have been reading a lot (both here and online) about how WLS causes increased problems with depression. My PCP currently prescribes my antidepressants. Would it be helpful to see a therapist pre-op? I passed my mental health evaluation for surgery; if so how do I go about finding a therapist that is familiar with the effects of WLS? Most have a general list of things they see patients for. Suggestions please.

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

InTransition
on 8/4/15 2:29 pm
RNY on 09/08/14

If you already have a predisposition to depression,  yes, I absolutely would find a therapist.  I do not have a history of depression, and have had sad moments since zurgery.  You think you know how much of an "upper" food is, but once it is taken away, it can get hard sometimes.  Especially if you have others around you who still eat lots of bad things!  

How to find one..is harder, but you don't necessarily need one who specializes in weight loss.  Any doc with addiction experience will likely be able to help.  Also. My doc referred me to a support group...if your area has one, go, and ask for therapist recs.

Karen R.
on 8/4/15 3:21 pm - Amelia, OH
Revision on 09/10/15

Thank you!

Karen

Ht: 5'3"/Pre-Band Weight:256/Revision to RNY 9/10/15-Weight: 219--GW: 115--CW 105

JA
on 8/6/15 3:43 am - East Haven, CT

Hi,

I am fortunate enough to have a therapist who also have WLS 15 yrs ago.  I have been seeing him since I had my surgery 11 yrs ago.  It really does help.  Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 536 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 268 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics