2 1/2 years later very worried

Rita180
on 8/30/15 7:29 pm - colorado springs, CO

it has been 2 1/2 years since my bypass and I am loosing my hair like mad I tried Biotin and shampoos and nothing helps I need advice did anybody have this problem and if so what did you do I did not expect it to go on this long I thought it would stop after 1 year I am now taking horsetail supplements hoping that will help all of my blood work is great and no problems with my thyroid either I am at the end of my rope please help if anyone has any tips

Thank you in advance I don't want to loose it all

Marita 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/30/15 7:40 pm - OH

How exhaustive was the bloodwork that you had done?  Some doctors don't check nearly as many things as others, and MANY vitamin deficiencies can cause hair loss.

How old are you?  Perimenopause, menopause, or any medical condition that causes a significant change in your hormone levels can cause hair loss. It might be worth having thaie checked by your PCP or OB/GYN.

Are you having any other physical issues that might be an indicator of a medical problem?  If you are getting enough protein and have no vitamin deficiencies, you shouldn't be losing hair at 2.5 years out.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Rita180
on 8/30/15 7:48 pm - colorado springs, CO

I am 53 and started going into menopause at 42 so I don't think its that but what is thaie? they check a ton of stuff including thyroid but I never heard of thaie but if that is something I should get checked the I will request that to be done

Marita

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/31/15 9:52 pm - OH

Perimenopause can last many years in some women, so if you have only truly entered menopause within the last year (as determined by hormone levels), that may still be the cause of the hair loss.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/15 3:53 am

Check to see if any of your meds could be causing this. I have been on BP meds forever and even though I have lost over 100 pounds I still have high BP. Sometimes meds can cause hair to fall out. 

Rita180
on 8/31/15 6:48 pm - colorado springs, CO

I don't take any meds anymore just my vitamins Calcium multi vitamin b12 biotin and horsetail and stool softeners I cant take anything with ion my ion count is too high according to my dietitian  

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/31/15 4:17 am

How is your iron? Specifically ferritin? 

Thyroid- did they check TSH or the whole panel - T4, T3, etc? 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

aesposito
on 8/30/15 11:23 pm, edited 8/30/15 11:23 pm

This.  Many doc's don't check an entire thyroid panel, even though TSH is not always indicative of a thyroid problem on its own.

Also, are you eating enough fat?  Fat doesn't make you fat, but lack of fat can cause all kinds of issues with skin and hair.l

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Rita180
on 8/31/15 7:15 pm - colorado springs, CO

I don't know about the fat part since I stopped eating bread and  waffles/pancakes that I used to put butter on. I eat fat free meat fruit and Greek yoghurt nuts and vegies I did not know about fat and skin/hair issues

Thanks,

Marita

Rita180
on 8/31/15 7:09 pm - colorado springs, CO

My Ferritin is 157 and my ion is 108 my transferrin is 227

my Thyrotropin serum , plasma is 1.190 

Thyroxin free 0.89

b12 is 20

A 60

zinc 147

I have no clue what all that means I you or anybody does please let me know my doctor says all looks great

Thanks,

Marita

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 535 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 524 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 267 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?