Vitamin Patches

Stacy C.
on 9/1/15 6:03 am

Do vitamin patches really work? Do all of the different vitamins absorb into your skin? I have been trying to research this and have not found much that show they are proven to work, even the website says "maybe". Does anyone use them and had their labs come back good? I would love to switch but I'm very leery, just sounds too good to be true. I spoke with my surgeon about it and he didn't like the idea about them, but then again he is very old school. I also spoke with my nutritionist about them and she had never heard of them. She it going to do some research for me but I wanted to hear from you all too.

Thank you for your input on this matter!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/1/15 7:03 am - OH

Thee are a number of us here who have started using the patches during the last year and have had good labs, and I have not yet seen anyone who started the patches and had their labs come back low.

I have been supplementing the patch with a couple of vitamins (that I take weekly rather than daily) in order to still get the doses I was taking before I switched, though. I am 8 years out, so my vitamin dosages have been pretty well established for several years.

I have not been able to find any credible research on vitamin patches one way or the other, and neither has my PCP. After 8 years of taking pills 4-5 times a day, every day, I was sick to death of it and decided to make myself a guinea pig after a couple of people tried them and had good short term results.  My labs after 5 months were good (search will bring up my posts on those), and I will be repeating them in 6 months (just in case!) rather than waiting a full year.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Stacy C.
on 9/1/15 9:01 am

Thank you so much for your reply Laura! Please keep us posted on how they work for you because I really would love to swich from pills to the patch.

kerbear1969
on 9/1/15 2:29 pm - MD

Im 27 days post op and have been using patches, multi vitamin, b 12 and vit d YES they do work as I just had my blood checked, expecting the levels to be so off because Im having difficulty eating, they were all normal range, nothing was off.  Yes I recommend them.

RNY 8/6/15 HW 304 LW 124lbs RW 165 CW 140 Weight loss stats: Liquid Pre-op -35, August-18, September-12, October-11, November-18, December-16, January-12, February-10, March-11, April -8, May-11, June-5 July-5,August-6

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/1/15 3:26 pm - OH

I'm not at all trying to be negative, but we do not develop vitamin deficiencies in just one month.  That is why most surgeons don't check labs until at least 3 months out.  

So although I have not heard of anyone (yet) who has had bad labs with the patch, you aren't far enough out and haven't been using them long enough to really know whether the patch is working sufficiently.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cspotrun
on 9/1/15 7:34 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

I'm getting labs done in a couple weeks after 3 months on the patch.  I plan to report here but also realize that's not much time to be on the patch.

Karen   

Baerny
on 9/5/15 4:43 am

I've been taking the vitamin patches since my surgery 3 months, and I just got my labs back 2 days ago ~ Calcium is a little low, and my vitamin D was very low ~ Besides that everything else was normal, so I'm gonna so the Multi + Calcium patch and see how that goes. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 326 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 130 views
Recent Topics