15 months out-protein shakes for how long?

Hulie
on 9/4/15 7:31 pm

I am 15 months post op and it is getting really expensive to drink 2 Premier Protein shakes a day.  It's the only shake I can stand, but it is costly.   My question is can I go down to one a day?  That would be 30 grams of protein, or do I still need 60 grams at this point?  Any help would be appreciated!

Deanna798
on 9/4/15 8:14 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

At 15 months you should be getting your protein from real food,  not the shakes.  At least that's what I've heard,  I'm only 4 weeks out.  I only use the shakes when I have a hard time getting the protein in.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

DanaDenise
on 9/4/15 8:41 pm

Have you asked your nutritionist.  My goal from the beginning was 40-60 grams of protein a day.  I recently switched to one shake a day to one that has only 16 grams of protein.  (My surgery was just at the end of may.) I eat high protein foods which often includes a protein bar.  My nutritionist/nurse practitioner both said that as long as I was getting enough protein that was fine.  I prefer to eat my protein and I never had trouble getting in my water and protein.  I hope that doesn't mean I started with a larger pouch, but I'm on target with my weight loss.  I've lost 53 pounds!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/4/15 9:03 pm - OH

Why are you still drinking two shakes a day rather than eating food? Does you surgeon's plan call for protein shakes for the rest of your life?  By 6 months out, most people can easily get their protein from food and only use shakes either because they actually like them, for the sake of convenience, or as an extra assurance that they will get enough protein without counting protein every day.

You need a minimum of 60g of protein per day from whatever source. How much are you getting from food?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

NYMom222
on 9/4/15 9:19 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

My plan suggests a shake a day while you are in the weight loss phase. I switched from 2 shakes a day to one a couple of weeks out. I occasionally have a second one because of convenience. Absolutely go down to one shake a day, and just track your protein to make sure you are getting enough. At 15 months you should have no problem getting enough in.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

selhard
on 9/5/15 6:57 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

One of my favorite routines is making a daily, homemade protein smoothie for breakfast.  My Nutribullet machine helps whip up the weirdest concoctions.  Lately, it's Fairlife milk, kefir, Greek yogurt, Unjury protein powder, fresh ginger, spinach, flaxseed oil, wheat germ, frozen banana and berries.  It's thick like a DQ Blizzard without the guilt.  Even better, I prefer it.  Life is good.

meanjelly
on 9/5/15 7:37 am

I stopped drinking shakes 1 month post op because they were making me sick

I get about 80 grams of protein from food and dont need shakes

RNY 6/26/15       HW360      SW290      GW200

eowynmn
on 9/5/15 7:54 am - Minneapolis, MN

so as everyone else said 60 grams of protein a day

So lets talk about some sources of protein

1 oz chicken 8 grams

1 oz ground turkey 8 grams

1 oz fish 7 grams

1 large egg 6 grams

cottage cheese  14 grams in 1/2 a cup

So if you meal planned 2 eggs for breakfast 12 grams, 1/2 a cup of cottage cheese with lunch, 14 grams, 3 oz chicken for dinner, 28 grams, that's 54 grams right there, that's almost 2 protein shakes.  Add one small portion of something else in there like a high protein grain, and you've hit 60 grams. It's easy to hit when eating clean, and you don't need to even have any shakes, so if you are eating a good portion of protein you can probably cut one shake.  However your best option is to talk to your dietition

Used this article for reference.  bodybuilding always has good info

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-list-40-high-protein-foods.html

-Erica

hl1524
on 9/5/15 9:35 am - Austin, TX

I'm 12 months out and I do 1 shake per day. I usually have mine at breakfast. My center has encouraged me to get protein from real food instead on a bar/shake. It's not too difficult to get those numbers with one shake. One shake of premier 30grams and fage Greek yogurt 18grams makes it super easy. 

RNY 8/27/2014

Hulie
on 9/5/15 7:12 pm

Thank you everyone for all of your great tips and responses!!!  I think I'll stick with one a day, and start taking an accurate count of my food protein, which I'm embarrassed to say I quit doing when I hit my goal weight.  Thanks for keeping me in line!!!!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 234 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?