Need recommendations for B-Complex vitamins.

losing_the_band
on 9/16/15 8:56 am
Revision on 08/27/15

My doctor requires all of his patients to take B-Complex vitamins as part of the vitamin regimen, starting around 2 weeks post-op.  I've got all the other required vitamins, but I need to get recommendations for B-Complex.  I tend to choke and gag on pills, so I'm looking for something as small as possible, even if it means I have to take more than one.  

Lap-Band 2007

Lap-Band Replaced 2011

APPROVED for revision to RNY! Awaiting surgery date!

selhard
on 9/16/15 9:12 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

The brand name NATURE MADE makes a fairly small B-Complex pill.  My requirement guide says this supplement must contain 100 mg of Thiamine, it can be liquid or tablet form, one per day, cut or crushed, and the dose can be divided if necessary.  Hopefully, with time you'll get over the gag/choke reflex.  If not, you may want to look into the vitamin patch--information can be found here using the search feature.  

lynnc99
on 9/16/15 9:54 am

B Vitamins are ultra important so don't skimp on these! My doc's recommendation was slightly different, in that I take B1 and B12 individually (not a complex). 

However, be sure that the B12 dose is SUBLINGUAL. That is the only way we can absorb B12, so you might need to take that one separately. They are tiny fruit flavored tablets - easy to take, available at any drugstore. But do ask about this....don't risk a deficiency!

newchris1
on 9/16/15 10:07 am
with

I take a B-12 every day and hate pills.  I chose CVS brand B-12 dissolvable tablets -  very small and melt in your mouth in about 10 seconds and taste fine.  CVS runs specials and I got 2 bottles for the price of one! 

Racewalker48
on 9/16/15 4:20 am, edited 9/16/15 4:20 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I use Wellesse B-Complex liquid.  Doesn't taste bad.  There are also lots of brands of sublingual liquids available.  Double check with your surgeon about how much he/she wants you to take, and you should be able to find lots of high potency  non pill options.  

mysty888
on 9/16/15 5:41 pm
RNY on 01/22/15

I would double check the B-1 on the liquid or sublingual. My doctor said we can't absorb enough B-1 sublingually, so I checked my liquid B-complex, and it completely left out B-1. I ended up with a deficiency. Maybe yours has it in there, but mine didn't. Just an FYI.

Racewalker48
on 9/16/15 6:16 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

I have over 2000% of the RDA of B-1 in my multivitamin tablets and at least 200% of the RDA of B-1 in my B-Complex liquid.  I get a lot of thiamine,  my labs are great.  

MickeyDee
on 9/16/15 11:46 am

I use the Trader Joe's subliminal B complex.  Tiny pill, melts under the tongue very quickly, not too expensive.

Marys1521
on 9/16/15 7:38 pm

I went to buy them there today. When looking at the bottle I noticed that they are 1000mcg tablets. Unfortunately for our needs, we need 1 gram/ day. This is unbelievable but that translates into like a million of their B 12s per day! I gave in and bought the BA vitamins again, since they are 1 gram!

MickeyDee
on 9/16/15 9:03 pm

Well, you do what is right for you.  

I have used the B Complex tabs for years, 4X weekly, once/daily, and my B vitamin lab results are very good.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 250 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics