Let's poll which Protein Powder drinks taste the best and blend easily

eyestowardthefuture
on 9/30/15 5:18 am

Getting ready to stock my kitchen with things I will need post surgery.  I hear so many different opinions about protein drinks.

So rather than spend my money on something that is not going to taste good, I ask you to give me some feedback on what worked for you, and tasted the best.

Thanks 

Grim_Traveller
on 9/30/15 6:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I can guarantee that some of the protein powders that people tell you are the best tasting thing ever will taste like total crap to you. Tastes vary so much. And quite often, something that tastes great right now, will taste crappy after surgery.

Your best bet is to get sample packs of a wide variety of powders, so you have them at hand. Don't go buying a big bucket of protein until you're sure.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

gracie88
on 9/30/15 6:13 am
RNY on 08/26/15

Everyone has different taste and taste change after surgery.  I liked Premier Protein Ready to Drink shakes before my surgery but afterwards could not drink them.  They seemed way to sweet for me.  Right now I'm drinking the Syntrax Nectars in Wild Grape and Twisted Cherry as well as the Matrix Mint Cookie, and the Unjury Chocolate Splendor.  I liked the Unjury Chicken Soup before surgery but couldn't stand it afterwards.  Thankfully Unjury will let you return opened and unopened products if you don't like them.  I suggest you get some sample packets of different Brand and Flavors of protein.

Jaime M.
on 9/30/15 2:26 pm
RNY on 08/31/15

Do the syntrax nectars still have the really thick feeling with them?  I'd like something a little less like a shake and more like milk consistency.  :)

gracie88
on 9/30/15 5:31 pm
RNY on 08/26/15

The fruit flavors I mix with water and they are like juice. The matrix mint cookie I mix with skim milk and it's not thick and pretty good. 

Seminar Sept 2014 - 221

First 6 month weigh in - November 2013 - 220

Surgery Day 8/26/15 - 199

Current Weight (9/1/16) 128.0  RNY  5' 2"

melissasue1982
on 9/30/15 7:14 am
RNY on 04/06/15

My suggestion is to get the sample packs!  Syntrax and Unjury have small samples you can get! 

HW: 328 Program start weight: 309 SW:275.8 CW: 154.6 (12/14/16)

cc583
on 9/30/15 5:47 pm - Middletown, CT
VSG on 09/28/16

Love the Syntrax sample packs! I haven't tried the Unjury yet but looking forward to it.

5'5" HW: 484, SW: 455,CW: 325

Surgeon, Darren Tishler

AnnyBananny
on 9/30/15 7:34 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Like the others have said, tastes very so much, it's hard to make a recommendation. Also I definitely found a few of the flavors I liked PRE-op, I couldn't stand POST-op. Samples! Samples! Samples!

That being said - I liked the Syntrax Nectar line the best. The stats are fantastic and the variety of flavors was good. My personal go to was the Lemon Iced Tea. Some of the flavors seemed to be "better" mixed with milk like chocolate, vanilla, and cookies and cream and I don't do milk, so they weren't good options for me. 

I also was obsessed with Chike High Protein Coffee for a while, but that does have caffeine, so check with your program re: caffeine.

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/15 7:42 am

What the others said is so true. The Vitamin shop has sample packs they also have single serve pre-made ones where you can buy one can. . I do like the pre-made ones since I am lazy and on the run a lot. 

RNY0615
on 9/30/15 7:48 am

For me, it's not a matter of taste, I can choke down anything for my health. I am, afterall, learning to eat to live, not live to eat. HOWEVER- I haven't found one I can TOLERATE yet post op! I am 3 months post up and have had to get my protein in with food since I started because of all the ones I've tried (Premiere, EAS, Six Star, GNC, something organic, a few others) they all make me sick so far. I get cold sweats and very very weak and shaky until they come shooting out the rear within the hour. I've tried pre-mix and powders. I've currently got some Unjury samples on order and coming to me because it would be FANTASTIC to be able to get some protein in without having to eat it. it's hard to get all of it in with just food in the beginning! 

For the record, pre-op, I had no aversion to anything. I was drinking Premier and EAS both pre-mixed, and they were fine. I had tried the six star powder before i went in for surgery to make sure it was fine for when I got out. None of it works for me now. 

Like they've said, everyone is different, and YES, your tastebuds will change! (MINE ARE STILL CONSTANTLY CHANGING and it drives me crazy!) BUT it's not all about taste. 

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 515 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 245 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics