Regrets..??

eyestowardthefuture
on 10/1/15 8:55 am

First I want thank everyone who has responded to my many posts on so many different topics.  Your answers have been extremely helpful.  

I would like to ask one more question, though  Most every one that has responded back to me seems to be enthusiastic and thrilled with the surgery and their results.   BUT.....are there any folks who had any of the diff types of surgeries that are now having...Regrets...wishing they had never went forward with getting the surgery??

White Dove
on 10/1/15 9:03 am - Warren, OH

There is a whole forum devoted to that Weight Loss Surgery Regrets

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

eyestowardthefuture
on 10/1/15 9:11 am

Thanks,   I did not know that.  

Dcgirl
on 10/1/15 9:04 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I regret a few things.

I regret using food as a crutch and abusing my body with a high calorie, high carb diet.

I regret not knowing the joy that exercise and feeling strong can bring to my life.

I regret not doing it ten years earlier.

I think you will always be able to find someone who had complications or didn't eat on plan and reach goal. But for each one of them, I think you will find 1,000 people who could have never lost 100 or 200 lbs without the tool that WLS is.  It is by far the best thing I have ever done in my life.  I was "active" and traveled and had no idea how much I was actually missing out on!

Good luck with your decision!  I would do it tomorrow and twice on Sunday if need be :)

Grim_Traveller
on 10/2/15 5:53 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Yes! If I had a nickel for every person that says they wish they had WLS years earlier, I'd be a billionaire.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

eyestowardthefuture
on 10/1/15 9:12 am

What a wonderful response.  Thank you!

Maria27
on 10/1/15 10:20 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Don't spend too much time reading other people's regrets. You need to keep in mind that a lot of people who post all over about their regrets are people who either had a bad surgeon, had a type of surgery that is no longer performed because it was bad (the lap band should probably be in this category), or did not follow their program (i.e., ate the wrong foods or didn't take their vitamins).

RNY has improved my quality of life in so many ways. The sacrifices that I made and continue to make pale in comparison to all that I have gained from the surgery. Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels. You could not pay me enough to ever go back to being as heavy as I was.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Kathyjs
on 10/1/15 10:44 am

Regrets, I don't like seeing boards that basically say, it's ok, I didn't follow the plan, I got sick of watching every bite so I gained but sure glad I found a group that will pat me on the back. The good news is, it's NEVER too late to get back on board, follow the plan and lose the weight . I have no regrets. 

jazzycatz
on 10/1/15 11:34 am - Joppa, MD

Regrets? I have had a few...but then again, too few to mention.

Oh sorry. Starting channeling Sinatra there for a minute.

My regret is that my insurance didn't pay for the surgery when I tried the first time. I have had kidney stones when I took teh wrong calcium at first. I have had some pancreatic issues from scar tissue that had to be repaired. And high liver numbers. The first 2 were incredibly painfull. But I would still go through the surgery knowing about them.

DCGirl is correct. Many regrets for many reasons. Not all are valid.

AMH82
on 10/1/15 11:34 am

There are always going to be people following any type of surgery that have regrets. You cannot let the regrets of others help you decide what is best for you. 

My husband needed back surgery for years. He kept putting it off because his brother had a similar surgery and has moaned, groaned and complained every day since surgery.  It made my husband completely unsure of going forward with something that would ultimately be life changing. Finally my husband's primary care doctor said "you need to have surgery or go buy a wheelchair, because within the next year or so, you won't be able to walk."

A month later, surgery was scheduled and not only is my husband damn near 100% but he is in the best health of his life. He should have had the surgery years before he did but because one person's experience was negative, he didn't have any confidence in his own research, doctors, surgeon or future. 

Negativity is every where in the WLS community. It runs rampant but for every "woe is me" tale there will be 100 "best decision ever, absolutely no regrets!" story. The problem is, our minds as humans let fear overtake the rationale side of things. Surgery is a big unknown and the unknown is a fear. You have to go in it knowing that you have a great surgeon and that your life is going to change in big ways. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views