No restriction

Jenbug43
on 10/5/15 1:04 pm

I've posted on the revision board but I thought i would post here too. I am three months out from removal of lap band and revision to RNY. My issue is no restriction. I never feel any sense of fullness and when I eat I could just keep eating and eating if i didn't measure my food. My weight loss has been at little slower than most (36 lbs.) and I get that....but what I don't get is the never feeling full. And it has been this way from the start. My surgeon's office kind of made me feel like they don't believe me but I am having an upper GI this week. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you all!

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/15 1:29 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

What are you eating? Can you post a sample day's menu with quantities? I get no restriction at all from a lot of foods but get full pretty quickly on dense protein. I also found that I was hungry all the time when trying to stay under 800 calories a day (which many on this board will swear to when in the losing phase), no matter what I was eating.

White Dove
on 10/5/15 1:34 pm - Warren, OH

The only time I feel restriction is eating dense protein. I can eat as much as I please with carbs and slider foods. Try eating just steak for a meal and see if you get any restriction.

i never had lap band but understand there can be a lot more restriction with it.

I have to weigh and measure food to be sure I am not eating too much.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Jenbug43
on 10/19/15 9:01 am

Thank you for the advice!

TimeForMe61
on 10/5/15 4:42 pm - Lancaster, PA
RNY on 01/22/15

Exactly what WhiteDove said. Dense proteins are the only thing that can make me full and sometimes uncomfortably so. Sometimes 2 ounces is enough, sometimes 3 or 4. And things like meatballs don't. Chicken and salmon are my go tos when I feel hungry because it doesn't take much and I'm good until the next meal.

Queen JB
on 10/5/15 7:24 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

Hi Jenbug, sounds like you and I had the same surgery about a week apart, and I am also expereincing much less restriction than I expected.

Since the band gave me such problems whenever I ate, I honestly feel like now that it is out, I can eat ALL THE THINGS! I don't choke, and I don't feel intense seering pain, so I feel like my food options have been opened wide, instead of the intense restriction that most other RNY patients feel in their first few months.

But, as the other posters said, dense protein does it for me. Yogurt--never full... I could eat 6 more! Even deli meat or chili won't necessarily fill me. But a peice of fish, chicken or turkey? Or even a veggie burger? I am stuffed and usually can't finish.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

sweetpotato1959
on 10/5/15 7:47 pm

It sounds like you need a check to see what is going on!... I had a variation of three intestinal surgeries at one time, 20 years ago. I still have very much restriction..a tops of 6 ounces, with sips of warm liquids...( I eat two meals and a snack most days, to get my nutrition in.).. there is a hormone, that makes us feel full. many people who have weight issues, lack sufficient amounts of this hormone.dh

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/5/15 10:47 pm

i am 7+ years post op.

When I eat more carbs, specially in the morning - it triggers insulin in my body and I lose my sense of "restriction". I cant explain why... I just know...

I can eat 4 oz of steak with a few bites of cooked veggies and be full for hours.. or I can eat fruits, or soft foods like there is not tomorrow and not feel that I am full.

if I have a few days that are rather full of carbs (i,e too much fruits or starchy veggies ) I get really hungry and feel like I need a lot to eat to be "full".

but low carb diet - moderate fat really work for me. Even 7 years out...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Jenbug43
on 10/13/15 5:31 pm

Even with dense protein - chicken, fish, meat - I never feel full. I'm seeing my surgeon tomorrow. I had an upper GI last week and the radiologist said everything looked good. So I don't even know what to say to my surgeon at this point. He doesn't seem to believe me and I truly feel something is wrong but I dont' know what

aesposito
on 10/15/15 5:56 am

Please post a daily sample menu... we may have some helpful ideas.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 517 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 254 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics