THIS IS MUCH HARDER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE!!!!

Catsi51
on 10/5/15 9:21 am

My RNY surgery was last Monday the 28th. There were immediate issues with being able to get any liquid down and I vomited up - non-stop - even my saliva for the first 5 days. It has not been an easy journey thus far. Finally on the 5th day I was able to take in a little jello and water. I was allowed to go home on the 6th day post op but still have the drain in - hopefully that will come out this week. I have excessive swelling inside for some reason and it takes me a good hour to get 8 oz's of any liquid down. Consequently I am having a difficult time staying hydrated. So now I have to go to an out patient clinic 3 times this week to get hydrated. Hopefully by this time next week that will resolve itself too. Each time I have to go to the clinic it takes 3 hours for hydration. I guess I'll get caught up on my reading - or perhaps take a nice long nap! I am also absolutely exhausted. When I go into the kitchen to do something as simple as heat up some broth, I have to lie down after wards - just that little bit of exertion drains me! For the first few days after surgery I was very emotionally upset - felt like I had made a big mistake and did something with irreversable consequences to my body. But now each day I am feeling a little better. I have a long way to go but at least it appears I'm heading in the right direction. The good news is I lost 12 pounds in the past week, which really did shock me!! I'm actually a little uncomfortable losing that much so quickly so I hope it slows down a bit! Anyway just wanted to post this quick update while I'm up and have the energy. Hope everyone has a good week!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Sarahakers11
on 10/5/15 9:27 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

It will be hard for a bit but little by little you will feel better then one day you will realize you don't feel "normal" you feel better than you ever have! It will be the new normal and its amazing!

Welcome and hang in there!

Sarah

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Catsi51
on 10/5/15 9:32 am

Thank you Sarah! That's what I'm counting on - the sooner the better!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

Felicity Q.
on 10/5/15 11:05 am
DS on 09/28/15

Hi Catsi,

Hang in there, girl! Give us both another 4 to 5 weeks and we'll be feeling right as rain. Sending healing hugs your way!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

gracie88
on 10/5/15 12:15 pm
RNY on 08/26/15

I didn't do much of anything for a good two weeks. I just felt drained taking a shower or walking to the living room. Each day gets better. I'm almost 6 weeks out now and I'm starting to get my energy back. Just hang in there. It will get better day by day!

Seminar Sept 2014 - 221

First 6 month weigh in - November 2013 - 220

Surgery Day 8/26/15 - 199

Current Weight (9/1/16) 128.0  RNY  5' 2"

shester
on 10/5/15 1:35 pm

I also had a hard time at first the first hospitalized twice post op for Nausea and vomiting for over a week each time. For the first 5 months i was thinking lord what have i done to myself i cant live like this. Now 13 months later 158 pounds lighter in a size small I would do it again in a heartbeat. I promise it will get better hang in there. Praying for a speedy recovery.

gerinurse1375
on 10/5/15 3:43 pm

Aww hang in there! I've had more downs than ups but I'm praying in the end what will be, will be.. I had issues with RNY, issues with the drain and voming (and still vomit periodically )..I too have had a lot of dehydration and have to have IV fluids at home. I spent 2 days a month post op in the hospital for syncopal episodes...My stomach has felt crummy since surgery as well.. Thankfully all that being said is resolving. When I was preggo I was horribly sick and it was the pregnancy from hell...but my motto was "this too shall pass"...so hang in there. .because eventually life gets better...Ive been there:)..

Jenn77p
on 10/5/15 4:29 pm
RNY on 08/07/15

I am really sorry for your troubles. I hope things get better!! I am 8 weeks post op and feeling much better. Hang in there, when you start feeling better it will be worth it!!

Jenn 77 p

beachybikegirl
on 10/5/15 7:26 pm

I agree with what everyone has said here. I too had a rough start, starting from the moment I woke up from recovery and for the next 12 days post-surgery. I wondered, "What the heck did I do to myself?" It gets better, it took me a month to feel like I had a more normal amount of energy. Now at 3 1/2 months out I still feel tired especially after a busy day at work. The good news is although tired still I feel FANTASTIC! It has been worth it, you will get there too!!

RNY on 6/25/15 Height 5.8 HW/SW 247 CW 142 (Normal BMI 21.5) GW 145

Hit my Goal on 5/1/2016 going for more...

sweetpotato1959
on 10/5/15 7:39 pm

Catsi,

You can do this!... and the swelling will go down soon...your body will adjust. No,.. surgery is not the easy option, it is often viewed as.

Try to add the proteins to your jello and water...when your Doc clears you for sugar free hot cocoa, that is what I had the best luck getting down for the first two weeks, and the protein powders mix well in it...so you can get some nutrition and liquids at the same time.

Your intestines have went thru a lot and it takes them a bit to wake up, and food to move down instead of up...cool liquids, iced water may help reduce the swelling a little. You will have narrowed passages, and you will note that you will be able to minimize strictures and sometimes the back flow by doing what you can to straighten the abdominal wall at the top....like instead of sitting at a table and eating, lean back a little, kinda like in a straight backed chair with a pillow to your back...my pouch pinches off when I lean forward, getting up and walking a few steps will often help foods to go down...

The nutritionist ran my calories, because of weakness, and she had me to add 400 more calories, because that was my intake/24 hrs.... I lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks, and60 in 6 weeks, so sounds like you are doing well. With having the nausea for five days..that is to be expected, they go hand in hand.

Don't be scared at rate you are loosing weight, as long as you are following directions, your body will adjust it, as time goes on, and it will not be easy to loose after you are 1 year down the road from this past week.. Much of your loss should be in the first 9 months...again let your follow up appointments with the clinic and nutritionist help you to address your issues... Just don't be scared. Hope these tips help you to get thru the transition easier. dh

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 296 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics