Major problems 3 weeks out. The week from hell

matthewreynolds207
on 10/10/15 4:05 pm - Hendersonville, NC

well, this past week has been one to remember. Minday was my three week post op and the day I was supposed to be released to eat puréed foods. I woke up feeling really weak and dizzy. I had the sudden urge to go to the bathroom. This was the first time since surgery I felt this urge. I went to the bathroom and looked down to find the entire bowel movement was blood. I laid on the couch for about ten minutes and had the urge again. I got dizzy and fell on the way to the bathroom this time. More blood passed. I called my surgeon and was told he would meet me in the ER.

When I got to the ER I was in tach with a 170 heartbeat so they rushed me back. They concluded that I must have lost a lot of blood and they would do a scope to see what was going on. They transferred me from the ER to the endoscopy center. The ER nurse who transferred me told the scope tech that I was tachy and should not be left alone. WeLl, I had to go to the bathroom again and was left in the restroom alone. I got really dizzy sitting there and pulled the red nurse cord which was broken. I remember yelling out for help and nobody responding. The next thing I knew, I woke up with the nurse on top of me finishing CPR. Yes, I actually died in the bathroom and was brought back. What seemed like a million people came into the room to give me blood, get me stabilized and try to get more IVs in me. The scope found that one of the surgery sites that was connected to the new pouch had an ulceration that was bleeding. The vessel was clamped and I was sent to ICU for the night. I spent the next five days in the hospital, trying to get my blood levels back to normal and nursing my broken ribs (from the CPR).

Home now, I can't sleep, I'm full of anxiety and still very week. The opening from the pouch to intestines is now very tight and having a problem even getting water through. I feel horrible and am regretting the whole surgery. I know this will pass, but right now I feel so bad.

Matthew Reynolds  

Catek2652
on 10/10/15 4:40 pm
RNY on 10/26/15

Hugs to you (very gentle ones). How frightening. Good thing you called your surgeon and high tailed it to the ER. Hope you are up and about soon and feeling good.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

stacy T.
on 10/10/15 5:33 pm - San Francisco, CA

Knowing it will pass isn't much consolation when you have had such a hard time, and so scary a moment!

And the added pain from the ribs just sucks big time! Take your pain pills, keep the pillows close by for when you have to cough and just be very gentle with yourself.

The good news is it sounds as if the actual problem was pretty straight forward and that you should be feeling better soon. When the inflamation goes down I bet the water will be less of an issue. In the mean time just do tiny sips ALL the time. The blood loss does not go well with dehydration, so you have to, even if you feel bad, keep working on the fluids in baby sips. I am sure you know this already. You are a strong person (you have to be to have made such difficult decisions regarding your health) and will be ok. It just takes time.

HKT53
on 10/10/15 5:45 pm - Toronto, Canada

My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. Thank God you are here today to tell us your journey. I hope you can be up and around soon and that the opening relaxes a bit to get more than trickels of water through. Please don't feel all alone and bad for doing the surgery. But pat yourself on the back for getting to ER. Even though your ribs are broken you gotta be thankful the nurse brought you back. Keep in touch. Im up in Canada and this is our Thanksgiving Weekend. I give thanks for having you with us. To guide us and for your strength.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

NYMom222
on 10/10/15 6:20 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

So glad you are here to tell us about this. Take it slow and careful, and let yourself heal. Make sure and update us on how you are doing.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

kerbear1969
on 10/10/15 7:04 pm - MD

Prayers going out to you for a speedy recovery

RNY 8/6/15 HW 304 LW 124lbs RW 165 CW 140 Weight loss stats: Liquid Pre-op -35, August-18, September-12, October-11, November-18, December-16, January-12, February-10, March-11, April -8, May-11, June-5 July-5,August-6

cspotrun
on 10/10/15 7:37 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Holy cow, you poor thing! So glad you're ok.

Karen   

Ethel S.
on 10/10/15 8:43 pm

God is good. Keeping you in my prayers. Hang in there. I am so sorry. It will get better. Hugs

Queen JB
on 10/10/15 8:45 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

Sending you good thoughts and wishing you great future health.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

diane48
on 10/10/15 8:46 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

So thankful that you made it through that. I had a similar experience 2 weeks post op. Not the dying part but the bleeding. It is scarey. I'm glad you are home now and doing better. Stay warm. I had the hardest time staying warm after that and that was in the summer!

Now that you are home you will get better and stronger every day.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 334 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 133 views
Recent Topics